PDA

View Full Version : Running First Game this evening (about 9 hours from now)

Doval
February 6th, 2006, 17:52
I have had FG now for about 6 months and have been gaming for over 20 years with pen and paper game. Are there any quick comments you all have for me going into my first game.

Things like: what to put on the function key slots, is screen tinting helpful or just annoying, use of turn toggling, etc.

I think I have a well developed adventure and only 3 PC's who I have gamed with for a long time (2 of the 3 for 20+ years).

Matt

richvalle
February 6th, 2006, 18:34
Wohoo! Have a good time!

The only thing I have in the quick slots is the attacks for the creatures I think the party is going to run into during that session.

If you can, use voice software as you play. It speeds things up enormously.

I still use a piece of paper to create a 'sign-in' sheet. Player name, char name, ac, hp, spot, listen, search. I also make notes on it and keep track of rounds and what spells were cast during which round.

After all the players login, go ahead and drag their portraits to the combat tracker. You'll have to do it eventually and it will save time later.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Let us know how it goes.

rv

Stuart
February 6th, 2006, 19:00
Good luck !
Get your tokens named asap by dragging the name of the character from the sheet (character) or init tracker onto the token. Do use the turn toggle it saves typing. If combat involves lots of people you can always use the toggle plus type to get characters taking their turns simultaneously - obviously this depends on how close they are fighting to each other BUT it has allowed me to run groups of 7 different playersvs up to 15 opponents without combat draaaaaagging on and on and on ..

Stuart

gurney9999
February 6th, 2006, 20:39
I like to use the function keys for combat related text to add flavor to the battle, based on if you know the characters enough to know what weapons they will usually use. "Rags connects cleanly with his blade, causing the creature to cry out in anger." -- "Rags clangs his blade against the foe so hard that it twists in his hand, almost falling to the ground." -- that sort of thing.

Basically, anything that will save you from typing later is a plus.

Also like rv said, any rolls/checks that I think might come up I like to place in the function slots.

Doval
February 7th, 2006, 14:39
Last night went pretty well. We are set up to play for 2 hours each Monday evening. Last night was the character generation session. I had sort of hoped to get characters generated and do a bit of playing, but that did not happen.

We had absolutely no problems with FG. One of the three players I expected to play backed out due to too many commitments already, but the other two had a good time. This is a nostalgic trip for the three of us playing. We are running 1st edition AD&D. We first started running AD&D back in 1979, when that was mostly all that was out there.

Over time we have drifted apart and would get together 2 or 3 times a year and tried to keep the old game alive. About 5 years ago we gave up and let the game die. This is an attempt, not to resurrect the old game, but to start fresh. Hopefully we will get started on actual adventuring on next Monday and maybe I can post something more meaningful then.

All in all, FG seems to be a very stable and useful product.

Matt