PDA

View Full Version : Primeval Thule Calendar?

Captcorajus
August 9th, 2017, 15:32
Getting ready to start a new campaign. Has anyone made a calendar for this setting for Fantasy Grounds?

The ruleset is well done, I just wish these designers would remember this little detail when publishing their settings on FG!

Zacchaeus
August 9th, 2017, 16:13
"These Designers" in this case happens to be the President of Smiteworks. :)

I don't think such a Calendar has been done but it is apparently quite easy to amend the one in FG. Find the module in your modules folder, change the name to .zip and then unzip it. Modify the code to whatever you need and then zip it all back up. It is best to rename it to something different otherwise FG will continually overwrite it.

Tabarkus
August 9th, 2017, 23:57
That was very easy, thanks Zacchaeus!

Captcorajus
August 10th, 2017, 23:35
Thanks for the instructions. I followed them, the module doesn't show up in the Fantasy Grounds Library for me to open it. I'm certain that Im probably missing the 'apparently easy' part somewhere along the line.
If anyone is feeling generous, here's my attempt:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kj2IptqHsISnJZdkZFVUdhTE0

Trenloe
August 10th, 2017, 23:37
Thanks for the instructions. I followed them, the module doesn't show up in the Fantasy Grounds Library for me to open it. I'm certain that Im probably missing the 'apparently easy' part somewhere along the line.
If anyone is feeling generous, here's my attempt:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kj2IptqHsISnJZdkZFVUdhTE0
I can't unzip this the usual way. What compression have you used? You must use ZIP compression, not RAR or 7Z or anything else.

Andraax
August 11th, 2017, 00:44
Try this: BTW, can I get a look at your code for the thulean lunar day and month length extension that you wrote?

Trenloe
August 11th, 2017, 01:10
Try this:...
There are XML errors as the XML is not complete - there are a few tags that need to the closed at the end.

Captcorajus
August 11th, 2017, 04:53
I can't unzip this the usual way. What compression have you used? You must use ZIP compression, not RAR or 7Z or anything else.

I used winRAR

Captcorajus
August 11th, 2017, 05:01
Try this: BTW, can I get a look at your code for the thulean lunar day and month length extension that you wrote?

The Campaign guide says that Thule is basically a 'different Earth". It also says that the days have either 30 or 31 days. So, all i did was use the Gregorian calendar and changed the months and days, gave 'February' 30 days, and eliminated the holiday references.

Trenloe
August 11th, 2017, 05:25
I used winRAR
You can use WinRAR, but you need to set it to use ZIP compression.

And, as the file that Andraax provided (with the right compress) showed - the XML in the db.xml file is not complete - make sure all XML tags are closed properly.

Captcorajus
August 11th, 2017, 07:33
You can use WinRAR, but you need to set it to use ZIP compression.

And, as the file that Andraax provided (with the right compress) showed - the XML in the db.xml file is not complete - make sure all XML tags are closed properly.

THAT was a very important bit of info! Thanks. I thought I had it right, but when I went to the Library, it wasn't showing.

Went back, changed the compression to .zip and voila. Closed the string, and things seem to be correct.

So, that was a learning experience.

Here is the completed file:

Andraax
August 11th, 2017, 13:52
Are you going to post your extension with your custom functions? I wanted to see how you did your periodic variable and lunar day calculations...

Captcorajus
August 11th, 2017, 17:28
Are you going to post your extension with your custom functions? I wanted to see how you did your periodic variable and lunar day calculations...

Lol, I have no idea what you're talking about. I was happy to get the days of the week and the months to appear, and get the number of days in the month right. After that, you're on your own. ;)

All I did was take an existing calendar mod, remove the holidays, insert the Thulean specific info and save. That's it. If anyone with more skill wants to add more please, feel free, and
post the work!

Andraax
August 11th, 2017, 18:02
Well, you set the function names for lunardaycalc and periodvarcalc to "thulean" so I figured you wrote functions for those. Without those functions, your calendar won't match year after year. Every month will start on Asura's Day, even if the previous month didn't end on Ishtar's Day (and it never will with 7 day weeks and all months being either 30 or 31 days). Plus, unless your year is always exactly 367 days, you need to include variable month lengths to handle leap years.

Andraax
August 11th, 2017, 18:10
I'd be happy to help you out, but I need information like that posted in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39435-Help-with-making-a-custom-Calendar-ext-for-Critical-Role-quot-Tal-dorei-campaign-guide-quot&p=348283&viewfull=1#post348283

Captcorajus
August 11th, 2017, 19:23
I'd be happy to help you out, but I need information like that posted in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39435-Help-with-making-a-custom-Calendar-ext-for-Critical-Role-quot-Tal-dorei-campaign-guide-quot&p=348283&viewfull=1#post348283

Thanks, any additional help would be most welcome.

You see, I changed it because it referenced middle earth (Hobbits), so i just altered that to avoid any ME referance.

The setting guide isn't really specific, and due to the nature of the setting holidays are not important. Basically, the months are 31 or 30 days, and equate to real Earth dates. I used the Knuckle trick for which months were 31, or 30.

Thule is basically an 'alternate Earth' so the cycles are similar.

Atlantean Month Sign Equivalent
Tebon The Chariot (Capricorn) March
Sana The Slave (Aquarius) April
Adar The Dragon (Pisces) May
Nidon The Ram (Aries) June
Taru The Bull (Taurus) July
Samon The Throne (Gemini) August
Dumet The Messenger (Cancer) September
Abron The Lion (Leo) October
Ulon The Warrior (Virgo) November
Tisra The Mammoth (Libra) December
Samnu The Scorpion (Scorpio) January
Kislon The Chimera (Sagittarius) February'

Thus, if you used the Lunar cycles from the Gregorian Calendar, that would match up with Thule.

The days are named after major deities as follows:
• Asura’s Day
• Tarhun’s Day
• Kishar’s Day
• Nergal’s Day
• Tiamat’s Day
• Mithra’s Day
• Ishtar’s Day

The guide simply says that the months follow the phases of the moon, so as I said, using the Gregorian phases will work perfectly.

there is no mention of 'leap years', and so I just made February 30 days instead of 28

Does that help?

Andraax
August 11th, 2017, 20:21
Well, Gregorian calculations won't work. You have the year setup for 367 days, and the Gregorian calendar uses a year of 365 or 366 days (depending on year). Also, our lunar cycles are a tad over 28 days, so they will never match up with your 30/31 day months.

Andraax
August 12th, 2017, 04:57
OK, since you're not going to give me any more information apparently, this is the best I can do with what you've supplied. Load the extension when you start your campaign, then reset and reload the calendar (I made changes). If you use the moon tracker with a period of 29.53 days, you should be able to get this display:

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/ThuleanCalendar.png

Captcorajus
August 12th, 2017, 19:50
OK, since you're not going to give me any more information apparently, this is the best I can do with what you've supplied. Load the extension when you start your campaign, then reset and reload the calendar (I made changes). If you use the moon tracker with a period of 29.53 days, you should be able to get this display:

All I can say is thanks for the extra work, this final result is more than I hoped for! I couldn't give you any more information as I simply don't have any. I gave you all the info from the campaign guide, but, given that this is homebrew as well, there's no reason not to just 'make it up' as it were, so thanks.

Your help is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure will be appreciated by anyone else running Thule in FG! THANK YOU!

Andraax
August 12th, 2017, 22:11
As I mentioned in my post, that's if you use the moon tracker extension (written by DMFirmy): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22669-DMFirmy-s-Moon-Tracker-Extension

Captcorajus
August 13th, 2017, 04:25
As I mentioned in my post, that's if you use the moon tracker extension (written by DMFirmy): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22669-DMFirmy-s-Moon-Tracker-Extension

I didn't know about it till you mentioned it, but it was easy enough to find. Thanks again!