PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to keep a module open at all times to use it resources?

HavocSmurf
August 9th, 2017, 02:30
I'm just wrapping up a custom campaign module and getting ready to start the next one. I had a lot of items, NPCS and stuff from the custom module that are now in the PC's possession. If I close the old module, do they loose access to the items and other custom stuff( is the record link no longer active)? Am I supposed to just leave the old module active and keep adding/opening modules as the campaign grows? Is there a limit, either recommended or finite, to the amount of modules that can be open and active in a campaign? I'd like to cut down the amount of records shown in the tab lists since there are so many now. Thanks

Trenloe
August 9th, 2017, 05:05
Most things added to a PC are copies of the original, not links - things like items, spells and other PC specific data records.. So you should be OK. If you've added story, images, NPC links etc. to formatted text fields then these will be links.

Quickest way to check - close the module and try to open the links.

HavocSmurf
August 9th, 2017, 05:12
Thanks Trenloe, just wanted to check before I broke anything. That being said, is there a limit to the number of modules or size of modules that can be open simultaneously, or is that more determined by your hardware and the amount of resources it can handle.

Trenloe
August 9th, 2017, 05:17
Sorry, but the answer really is how long is a piece of string? ;) Some modules take up a lot of memory resources when opened (like the 5E PHB) and some don't. The main issue is don't share a lot of modules with the players as, when they open the modules, the whole module is loaded up and it can take a lot of memory. The GM side still uses memory when modules are opened, but less than the player side.

All I can suggest is this: only share with the players what really needs to be shared. And, as a GM, have windows task manager open and monitor the amount of memory FantasyGrounds.exe uses when you open each module - keep the total memory used below 3GB and you should be OK.