PDA

View Full Version : Offset Grid - square with 6 touch points.

Lexfire
August 8th, 2017, 02:45
Has there been any discussion on offering an offset square grid in Fantasy Grounds which combines a bit of square with hex, and allows a grid to have 6 touch points. This discussion came up for adding the grid in Dungeon Painter and would be a nice addition for FG. Just a thought.

https://i.imgur.com/dxePWPN.jpg

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2017, 04:50
I've never seen such a grid, and haven't heard of any such discussion here on FG.

I'm curious as to what advantages such a grid would have over a traditional hex grid. It ends up having the same spacing (?) and such, but is a little harder to trace the non-horizontal paths.

pindercarl
August 8th, 2017, 06:01
I'm also curious about the use case for this grid. The primary advantage of the hex grid is that the center of each hex is equidistant from the center of each neighboring hex. Assuming unit squares, this "running bond" pattern doesn't share this feature. The center of neighboring horizontal squares are 1 unit apart, but the center of the offset squares above and below are 1.118 units away.

Andraax
August 9th, 2017, 00:11
It's a hex grid, drawn without having to use actual hexes. Only time I have seen it used for gaming is a Traveller supplement called "Atlas of the Imerium".