PDA

View Full Version : D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds

Answulf
August 7th, 2017, 23:47
For any of you familiar with D&D Beyond: how much of it can be integrated with playing D&D on Fantasy Grounds? From the little I've seen you wouldn't use it really - we seem to have the same functionality already available through FG.

Is D&D Beyond strictly for face-to-face play, or will it further enhance our online games?

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2017, 23:51
Currently there are no links between DD Beyond and FG. That's not to say that one day there might be.

Answulf
August 8th, 2017, 00:13
Thanks Zacchaeus - I should clarify that I didn't mean in a literal, technological way - more in the sense of it being an additional DM tool that does things FG doesn't?

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2017, 00:33
IMO, I don't think DDB would add much to a game if you use FG.

DDB's character Management is certainly better, but FG's character creation is fine for me. Similar opinion on the compendium aspect of DDB. It's has superior searching than FG, but FG is not so insufficient that I feel I need a better reference set.

As for homebrew, DDB does not support full blown home classes, and may or may not in the future from the developer comments I've read.

They have a very interesting offer right now where if you buy everything they currently have, then you get a 15% lifetime discount on future purchases. Myself, I just don't feel like I'm missing anything I really need to create and play. DDB, REalmWorks, Obsidian Portal, PCGen, Hero Labs all have things to offer, but I just don't feel they add enough over and above FG for me to spend my time with them. (Other's opinions obviously vary on this.)

st4lk3r87
August 8th, 2017, 23:16
I have the impression D&D Beyond wizards for creating stuffs are slightly better. After I tried it I immediately said: "Wow, it will be very cool to export the data from D&D Beyond to FG and viceversa"

L. R. Ballard
August 9th, 2017, 00:11
I have the impression D&D Beyond wizards for creating stuffs are slightly better. After I tried it I immediately said: "Wow, it will be very cool to export the data from D&D Beyond to FG and viceversa"

The FG user Maasq is making a GUI-based character creation tool for FG called NPC Engineer. NPC Engineer supports other utilities like the Monster Maker. Perhaps, in future releases of NPC Engineer, Maasq could focus on support for D&D Beyond. I'll suggest that very thing to him.

st4lk3r87
August 9th, 2017, 00:16
The FG user Maasq is making a GUI-based character creation tool for FG called NPC Engineer. NPC Engineer supports other utilities like the Monster Maker. Perhaps, in future releases of NPC Engineer, Maasq could focus on support for D&D Beyond. I'll suggest that very thing to him.
In D&D Beyond there's also a Monster Maker and Spell Maker too. Of course it's 5e only.

Maasq
August 9th, 2017, 00:22
Suggestion spotted :)

That's a good idea, and once I have ironed out kinks/bugs/broken code I'll have a look at that. It's still in beta, yes? I should be able to go get some output from it.....

Maasq

L. R. Ballard
August 9th, 2017, 00:40
Suggestion spotted :)

That's a good idea, and once I have ironed out kinks/bugs/broken code I'll have a look at that. It's still in beta, yes? I should be able to go get some output from it.....

Maasq

I think the D&D Beyond tool is still in beta, though it's due to release on August 15, 2017.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/news-announcements/5335-release-date-august-15th-pricing-details-announced

I myself haven't tested D&D Beyond yet, but the demo is a free, no-risk, no-obligation deal that allows users to make up to six characters, so one could get output, probably preferably after the utility's official release on August 15.

Your utility's features nearly have beaten those of the Genius's Monster Maker. If supporting Monster Maker or D&D Beyond is an either-or for NPC Engineer, I wager that the initial positive feedback on the D&D Beyond beta recommends supporting it over the Monster Maker utility. The big drawback to the Monster Maker is that it's limited to the SRD and can't remember statistics for weapons or spells.

L. R. Ballard
August 9th, 2017, 00:41
In D&D Beyond there's also a Monster Maker and Spell Maker too. Of course it's 5e only.

Right. Same limitations of NPC Engineer at present.

Maasq
August 9th, 2017, 00:46
Oh no, D&D Monster Maker support is already in. I just looked at D&D Beyond, and there's no 'export' option I could see. However highlighting the monster and copy-pasting into a text document shows I could certainly work with it.

Give me some time; I think it is a brilliant idea to incorporate it.

L. R. Ballard
August 9th, 2017, 01:00
Oh no, D&D Monster Maker support is already in.

I know Monster Maker support is already in: that's what I'm still using! I should've written "further support."

I just looked at D&D Beyond, and there's no 'export' option I could see. However highlighting the monster and copy-pasting into a text document shows I could certainly work with it.

Give me some time; I think it is a brilliant idea to incorporate it.

No worries--take all the time you need. I'll test NPC Engineer again after you've rewritten the GUI.:)

st4lk3r87
August 9th, 2017, 01:01
oh no, d&d monster maker support is already in. I just looked at d&d beyond, and there's no 'export' option i could see. However highlighting the monster and copy-pasting into a text document shows i could certainly work with it.

Give me some time; i think it is a brilliant idea to incorporate it.
yeeeee. Awesome!

Answulf
August 22nd, 2017, 02:56
Excellent!!

Maasq
August 22nd, 2017, 22:10
I forgot about this thread :)

I posted elsewhere, but it may be useful to mention that I have incorporated support for D&D Beyond NPCs in NPC Engineer. I am really quite pleased with this :)

Maasq