PDA

View Full Version : Official D&D 5E content translate?

davidx_3
August 7th, 2017, 12:56
Hi!
Sorry if I can't post links, but considering this

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/localization
https://www.gf9-dnd.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/328/fifth-edition-languages.aspx
https://www.fireonboardjogos.com.br/fique-por-dentro/detalhe/53/liberte-o-dragao

we are about to have it translate for some languages.
For those who do not know, Wizards of the Coast hired Gale Force 9 to translate the content, and GF9 has hired some partners in each country that will have the translation. Including my lovely country: Brazil (who speaks brazilian portuguese).
Considering that we will have an official translate and this large project from wizard, is the translate coming to Fantasy Grounds? I would love so.
Thanks

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2017, 13:20
I don't know is the answer but I can see immense problems in doing so.

To get something like the PHB into FG takes about a months work. So for the nine languages that are proposed that would be nine months just for one book - and there are a lot of books. I don't think that we could just run the text files through a translator since those are too unreliable to accurately translate anything beyond simple sentences, so we'd be working from the pdfs from scratch. Also I'm not sure FG can handle many of the special symbols and characters for many of the languages so I'm not at all sure that the output would even be legible. However as I say I don't know.

davidx_3
August 7th, 2017, 13:32
If it was to use any translator, that could be done already. But it's not a good option like you said.
What i think is that since you have a relationship with WotC (i think) and there will be official translates, you just have to get the translated files with them and put on FG.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2017, 13:57
If it was to use any translator, that could be done already. But it's not a good option like you said.
What i think is that since you have a relationship with WotC (i think) and there will be official translates, you just have to get the translated files with them and put on FG.

Indeed, but it isn't as simple as just getting the translation. To get the PHB, as I said, into FG in any language will take about a months work. It isn't as simple as just having the pdf; that has to be translated into code that FG recognises.

Talyn
August 7th, 2017, 14:56
You'd need a DLC Developer who knows the language in order to compare the WotC files with what ends up in FG. And I can confirm the current engine refuses to display upper ASCII charactersets, though I think the typical characters used in some non-English languages (accents, graves, umlauts, etc.) should be perfectly fine. The ruleset label strings would also need to be translated. Then, as @Zacc said, the time involved for that developer to get it finished.

Nylanfs
August 7th, 2017, 15:45
Actually for quite a bit of the code nothing would change, the fluff could be translated, and anything displayed for the user, then there is a localization mapping DB that converts the displayed values to the english required tags. At least that's how we handle it at PCGen.

Since FG parses on the fly this would cause a bigger wrinkle.

Talyn
August 7th, 2017, 16:48
Right, the markup bits would be the same, it's getting the new text in there correctly. Then the ruleset strings. And I haven't even checked the other rulesets like 5E to see if they've mapped all the labels to the strings file like Savage Worlds did recently, but I'm sure they have, it makes sense to do that for just this reason.

Trenloe
August 7th, 2017, 16:50
It's not just the level of work required for a conversion of any professionally translated material to FG - and changing any in-game parsing code, etc.. It's also the QA/Review process and then ongoing support on the back end. As soon as you release a product in another language you'll get support/questions from users in that language.

SimteWorks do very well on QA of products before they're released, and also on support of ongoing products. Adding a new language into the mix requires developers, QA and support people who are all fluent in the relevant language/s (as well as English, in order to communicate with the current SmiteWorks folks) and also are very experienced in Fantasy Grounds as well.

Nylanfs
August 7th, 2017, 17:11
Which is why the users in that language will need to be part of the support system, just like we are. :)