PDA

View Full Version : Price drop?

celestian
August 7th, 2017, 01:50
Saw this posted (https://mailchi.mp/fantasygrounds/massive-price-drop-coming-soon-on-dungeons-dragons-modules-for-fantasy-grounds) on reddit.

Sounds good! Hope it's true ;)

JohnD
August 7th, 2017, 02:42
Nice.

NotRussellCrowe
August 7th, 2017, 02:51
Saw this posted (https://mailchi.mp/fantasygrounds/massive-price-drop-coming-soon-on-dungeons-dragons-modules-for-fantasy-grounds) on reddit.

Sounds good! Hope it's true ;)

It's on the Fantasy Grounds twitter account:

https://twitter.com/FantasyGrounds2/status/894301976724463616

timdog88
August 7th, 2017, 03:53
Man, I've always thought the modules were a pretty good deal. Getting these for almost half the price of the printed books makes them a real no-brainer.

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2017, 04:05
They basically are in the range of the Amazon.com prices.

I started when they did not have many of the adventure paths and have bought everything so far, plus the paper versions. I was able to easily use "complete the bundle" pricing because of when I started.

Even if I had paid full price for everything, I still would be happy. Lower prices means more people will buy the Fantasy Grounds versions and that is good for the future. I have had my materials since they were released, so I have the extra value now.

Not 100% sure who is the primary driver here, but Doug has been tireless at opening the "official" market and I am sure he negotiated an even better bargain for us.

Szabtom
August 7th, 2017, 11:07
The news is now out in their e-mail newsletter.
Note that the "buy the complete set" discount remains in effect!

As to why now?

I think the appearance of official modules on Roll20 had to have some impact on Smitework's pursuit of the matter. Have to stay ahead of the competition. Don't know if this deal is exclusive to FG, though.

D&D Beyond obviously had to have an impact, and I think that the feedback and the usage data from that project must have influenced WotC's decision.

What makes me really happy is that WotC seems to finally catch up with the digital age, and that Smiteworks has the ability to strike such a deal with them.

GunnarGreybeard
August 7th, 2017, 11:36
Sweet! The 15th is my wedding anniversary. Going to finally get the DMG for myself and pretend it's from the wife.

celestian
August 7th, 2017, 16:02
The news is now out in their e-mail newsletter.
Note that the "buy the complete set" discount remains in effect!

Nice!

I'm not a 5e guy but this will get me to buy some of these and maybe run a one shot or two for friends to try and get their 5e games to move to FG ;)

I've been holding out getting anything 5e till they sold the phb/dmg in pdf... doesn't look like that'll ever happen. This will have to work.

Gwydion
August 7th, 2017, 16:41
So excited to see this. When I started streaming on twitch about 8-9 mos ago my main goal was to expose more players/dm's to Fantasy Grounds and 5E. I think it is awesome that Doug and team have found a way to reduce the price of some of the content and, like Myrdin Potter, I certainly have no problem what I've paid to date! In fact, its been the best investment I've ever made in my entertainment/hobby endeavors. Thanks again for all you do, Doug and the Smiteworks team.

tiawaz
August 7th, 2017, 18:13
Not 100% sure who is the primary driver here, but Doug has been tireless at opening the "official" market and I am sure he negotiated an even better bargain for us.

My guess would be WOTC, since it seems eerily similar to the prices announces for dndbeyond.

Maybe WOTC is finally getting around to the realization that digital is not the enemy.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 18:14
Morrus posted some quotes from Doug here; https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?571944-Fantasy-Grounds-Drops-Prices-For-Electronic-D-amp-D-Books

Myrdin Potter
August 7th, 2017, 20:37
The reaction to D&D Beyond pricing is amusing. So many people want everything for free.

Full Bleed
August 7th, 2017, 21:30
As to why now?

I think the appearance of official modules on Roll20 had to have some impact on Smitework's pursuit of the matter. Have to stay ahead of the competition. Don't know if this deal is exclusive to FG, though.

D&D Beyond obviously had to have an impact, and I think that the feedback and the usage data from that project must have influenced WotC's decision.

What makes me really happy is that WotC seems to finally catch up with the digital age, and that Smiteworks has the ability to strike such a deal with them.
Competition across the board is probably a factor.

Maturing products. Comparative pricing with Amazon. Roll20 and D&D Beyond pressure. The official Pathfinder products get you free PDFs of products. Etc. Hard to not react.

Good move to drive new adopters with a nicer entry level, too.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 21:51
Good move to drive new adopters with a nicer entry level, too.
I will also add that as of the 15th, there will be little reason to buy the printed book over one of the digital formats. This might actually be counter-productive to WotC (if there publishing and distributing costs are low enough), but will certainly be a boon to FG. It will be even easier to recommend to new people to just buy the FG version and don't bother with the printed version.

BradAF
August 7th, 2017, 21:59
I don't want to seem negative at all, but I just bought the Ultimate License, PHB, LMoP and Monster Manual 3 weeks ago. Is there a way to get a partial refund (or even credit, as I'll just dump it right back into FG)? Do I have to do a full refund and just buy back on the 15th?

EDIT - Received request from customer support, will need to follow normal refund procedures and repurchase on the 15th. For me, that's through Steam, so hopefully that works out!

Nylanfs
August 8th, 2017, 12:15
Welcome to the forums and FG community Brad!

Also I haven't read the ENWorld post yet but I'm betting that there is a price leveling wording in the contract ie if anyone is allowed to sell for lower than x, Smiteworks can lower their prices.

Cr3d1tz
August 8th, 2017, 14:27
I am honestly dumbfounded...

See, I am a Student and I only just overcame myself after months of deliberating on wether I should get the Ultimate License + D&D Stuff, with the result that I spent hundreds of Euros to equip myself for all my needs. That was just about a week ago and now I find out that there will be price drops of around 40%. I feel like my heart is bleeding out here guys.

Is there anyone here, who can advise me on how to save my situation? I haven't DMed a single session yet and only just familiarized myself with the Software and honestly this is just coming as a tough blow to me. If I am able to shave off some losses here that would mean the world to me. As I said, I am a Student and such purchases are no joke for me.

EDIT: I have issued a refund request via Support. Very friendly support and options are plenty enough there to help me in this case.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 14:31
I am honestly dumbfounded...

See, I am a Student and I only just overcame myself after months of deliberating on wether I should get the Ultimate License + D&D Stuff, with the result that I spent hundreds of Euros to equip myself for all my needs. That was just about a week ago and now I find out that there will be price drops of around 40%. I feel like my heart is bleeding out here guys.

Is there anyone here, who can advise me on how to save my situation? I haven't DMed a single session yet and only just familiarized myself with the Software and honestly this is just coming as a tough blow to me. If I am able to shave off some losses here that would mean the world to me. As I said, I am a Student and such purchases are no joke for me.
Welcome to the forums.

See post #15 above.

hedrondesign
August 8th, 2017, 17:46
I literally just bought the three core packs at full price within the last month plus the curse of Strahd... Wish I knew this was coming I could have saved 80 bucks... and prolly spent it on modules... sigh. And yes I am glad for the price drops no question there just wish I had the option of getting the difference back even if just in store credit...

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 17:54
I literally just bought the three core packs at full price within the last month plus the curse of Strahd... Wish I knew this was coming I could have saved 80 bucks... and prolly spent it on modules... sigh. And yes I am glad for the price drops no question there just wish I had the option of getting the difference back even if just in store credit...
There is a 30 day money back guarantee on all purchases. If you purchased within 30 days, request a refund and then buy on the 15th at the lower price. This is mentioned in post #15 above.

hedrondesign
August 8th, 2017, 20:40
There is a 30 day money back guarantee on all purchases. If you purchased within 30 days, request a refund and then buy on the 15th at the lower price. This is mentioned in post #15 above.

Unfortunately I made the purchases on July 6th... two days outside the 30 day limit... if only they had announced this on Friday last week. I may get one purchase refunded but ugh lol oh well that's life. I will still use my FG and still buy the new lower priced modules and books. Hell I spent a bundle on getting campaign cartographer and have made 5 maps already and linked them to the master map so I could make all my maps for my D&D world. I will run my world on FG after the Curse of Strahd campaign I am currently running is done.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2017, 21:26
Unfortunately I made the purchases on July 6th... two days outside the 30 day limit...
Email [email protected] and explain. See what they say.

Nylanfs
August 9th, 2017, 00:31
Yes, do what Trenloe says.

LordEntrails
August 9th, 2017, 01:18
Yes, do what Trenloe says.
Never! It is an AI bent on taking over the world!
(But it does usually make sense...)

L. R. Ballard
August 9th, 2017, 03:33
Never! It is an AI bent on taking over the world!

When upper management realizes that, they've got to pull the plug!

darkmaer
August 9th, 2017, 04:46
Yay, I'm brand new and a friend said she wanted to play and lives 2000 miles away. Currently doing a subscription and testing out all the features, but just looking at the overall cost of getting involved in 5e and getting an ultimate license (cause I can't stand paying subscription fees) has been a little overwhelming. Talk about perfect timing. This makes me happy.

Westby
August 10th, 2017, 08:42
Yay, I'm brand new and a friend said she wanted to play and lives 2000 miles away. Currently doing a subscription and testing out all the features, but just looking at the overall cost of getting involved in 5e and getting an ultimate license (cause I can't stand paying subscription fees) has been a little overwhelming. Talk about perfect timing. This makes me happy.

Nice, always feels good to save some money.

Nylanfs
August 10th, 2017, 13:25
Welcome to the Forums and FG Community, Westby!

thehig
August 15th, 2017, 12:12
Any timeline on when the price drop will take effect on Steam? I refunded a few days ago (luckily within the 30 days) and received a steam credit which I intend on spending on the 5E Bundle and the Ult licence

ddavison
August 15th, 2017, 13:43
Steam prices should start to go into effect at around 10 AM Pacific. They might go sooner, but it requires someone to approve the prices for each of them manually. If you buy a bundle, make sure they are all discounted before completing the bundle. If not, wait a bit and then check back.

thehig
August 15th, 2017, 16:02
Great, thanks!

ddavison
August 15th, 2017, 16:16
Steam prices should now be in effect.

Nylanfs
August 15th, 2017, 17:46
It looks like D&D Beyond are also having a sale the first day also. $19.99 for the core books.

Gwydion
August 15th, 2017, 17:58
It looks like D&D Beyond are also having a sale the first day also. $19.99 for the core books.

Yep. It actually states on the dndbeyond site that the pricing on the core books is on sale for the first week only (ends Monday, August 21st). They call it the "Founders Week Sale".