PDA

View Full Version : cant activate license and lost extensions

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 14:14
So, my problems started out about a week ago when I was flagged to install a new update. Upon installation I lost some of my 5e extensions including the wizard theme and the fr language theme, (although I'm not too sure of the exact names of the extensions).

So, upon looking into, some suggestions sited on the forum I thought it was either a problem with my Steam installation, as I had both a native install, and a Steam install both on my machine, or a problem with my 5e-addons.dat file located in my fg/data/vault dir,

Initially I went to my FG settings and selected the "manage" button within the "purchases" section of the settings window. From there, I entered my correct credentials and chose "login", and then "link steam purchases", then re-ran the update and launched FG as directed by the forum instructions. This was unsuccessful.

Next, I looked into the 5e-addons.dat file in the fg/data/vault/ directory. For some reason I was missing that file.

So, then I decided to remove my Steam copy of FG along with Steam, then again I ran the update, but again with no luck.

Then, I decided to remove my native FG install, and start from scratch. Upon doing that, I have lost my basic license and regardless of everything I do I can't activate my license.

Please help asap I have a game to run on monday

Zacchaeus
August 6th, 2017, 14:38
Double check that you are entering your license key in the correct location and that it is the correct key. If you have linked your Steam with Smiteworks then I'd hazard a guess that without Steam running you won't see any purchases made via Steam. You shouldn't really have two installs since that is bound eventually to cause conflict. So I'd suggest reinstalling the Steam client, relink up your accounts again. And do another update. Make sure that you are using the correct locations for data as well (best place is User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds)

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 16:42
I don't have any purchases through steam. Would rather just have FG running independently. I don't see anything wrong with the activation key neither. Here is a recap of events. I installed FG independently before even having steam, then because I was prompted by a sale that Steam was running, although I didn't purchase anything, I uninstalled the initial FG install and then installed through Steam. Everything seemed to be running fine I did notice that I had two FG folders one in my program files and one where I chose during the install within my profile. Then one day during an update I lost several extensions, and this is where things go downhill. In the pursuit to reacquire the extensions I ended up as explain uninstalling FG. Then upon reinstall I'm left with only the demo version. I'm wondering if there is a registry entry that is left behind during the uninstall process that is causing this?

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 16:46
By the way my license key is already entered upon completion of the installs.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2017, 17:04
Double and triple check your license key is correct. Go to the FG "Store" link at the top of the page and then to your Order History and click the link for the order where you bought your license. This will contain your license key. Remove your old license key from the FG settings window. Then Copy/paste the license key from your order history into the "License Key" field of the FG "Settings" window - make sure it in the form XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX i.e. 5 sets of alphanumeric characters separated by the minus sign. Make sure there are no spaces at the end of the beginning. Make sure there's nothing at all, including spaces, in the "Lite to Full Key" field. Then press OK and then Update. After the update, check the version shown in the top right of the FG launch screen.

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 17:35
Ok figured it out. Got my extensions back too. thanks for your help

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 17:46
After completely wiping every instance I found of FG on my computer then reinstalling. Seems to be back in order.

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 17:48
Things got stressful though when I did the traditional uninstall reinstall and that didn't work.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2017, 17:51
After completely wiping every instance I found of FG on my computer then reinstalling. Seems to be back in order.
Yeah, you should only have one installation of FG on your computer. It can lead to all sorts of issues if you have multiple installations. More info in point #2 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34865-v3-3-0-Issues-Problems-after-updating-Random-script-errors-etc

pindercarl
August 6th, 2017, 17:52
Now that you have it worked out, it may be a good time to let you know that Steam sales are always reflected in the Fantasy Grounds store. If you see a Steam sale, but you purchase through the FG store, you should see the same prices.

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 23:09
Now that you have it worked out, it may be a good time to let you know that Steam sales are always reflected in the Fantasy Grounds store. If you see a Steam sale, but you purchase through the FG store, you should see the same prices.

That's good to know.

hpdonat
August 6th, 2017, 23:10
Yeah, you should only have one installation of FG on your computer. It can lead to all sorts of issues if you have multiple installations. More info in point #2 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34865-v3-3-0-Issues-Problems-after-updating-Random-script-errors-etc

Yep words of wisdom