PDA

View Full Version : Skype and Syrinscape with VB Audio and VoiceMeeter Banana

Ramtrap
August 6th, 2017, 00:22
Has anyone had any success doing this with Skype? I think I've got most of it worked out, and in fact, when I send sound through Syrinscape, I can hear it, but it fades in and out. I would liken it to sounding like if you held your hand over a microphone and moved it off, back on, back off, back on, etc. Like ripples in a pond, if that makes any sense. I don't know if that's because I'm connecting just locally to myself or not. Would really like to get it working great in Skype if possible before moving on to Dischord or TeamSpeak, as great as those services may be. For those that use sound, should I just bite the bullet and switch, or are there any Skype believers?

For reference, I've done everything as suggested in Rob2e's tutorial, adjusted for Skype (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3TRoS3gpM) and I've also tried the suggestions made by Jhines0042 from the Syrinscape forum (https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/syrinscape-protip-07-using-syrinscape-with-skype-for-online-play/426).

My setup is like this, if this'll help, too:
I have a physical mixer. I have a Rode mic plugged into that going into a sound gate. I have a headphones amp that is feeding me my main sound. Sound is going from my mixer into the pink and green ports of the computer (microphone and speaker). Doing this for podcasting and it's never been an issue, so that setup is good.

For the virtual setup, I have the Voicemeeter Banana app, VB Audio with Cable A and Cable B, and a Syrinscape subscription.

1: My computer audio and microphone have Voicemeeter (not the AUX set as default. 2005620057

2: My MAIN Skype has Input (Microphone) set as Microphone and Output (Speakers) set as Cable-A. 20058

3: My SECONDARY Skype (which Syrinscape goes through) has Input (Microphone) set as Cable B, volume 100% and Output (Speakers) set as Cable A, volume 0%. 20059

4: Voicemeeter Banana has, in order from left to right:

1st box: Microphone, input is "WDM: Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)"--B1 only selected so I don't hear myself through A1

2nd box: Skype, set as "WDM: CABLE-A Output (VB-Audio Cable A)"--A1 and B1 both selected

3rd box: Syrinscape, set as "WDM: CABLE -B Output (VB-Audio Cable B)"--None selected on the bottom, as it's traveling through B to A (same results if they're A, B, or both are selected anyway)

Lastly for Hardware Out A1, I have "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)" selected.
I'm attaching images for all this, if that'll help.

Again, if possible, all I'm looking for is "Oh, all you need to do is x, y or z" or "Dude, just switch to Dischord/TeamSpeak"
What's the best solution?
Thank you for your time!
Will

Apologies for posting this in a new thread as well as here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36114-How-Can-I-Integrat-Syrinscape-and-Fantasy-Grounds-for-Online-D-amp-D-5E/page2), but just wanted to have dedicated forum post of my own rather than just piggybacking off someone else's for a separate issue.

Seya
August 6th, 2017, 03:30
I just switched to discord. I love discord no way I'd use another program

Myrdin Potter
August 6th, 2017, 04:30
I just switched to discord. I love discord no way I'd use another program

Although many people like discord a lot, the audio quality for music does not appear to be as good as teamspeak, for example. Expect the poster is usinf Skype. I would guess he wants video as well, so discord is not an option.

Ramtrap - if you do not want to have video, I think Skype adds complications. Discord seems to have a much better chat (typing) function coupled with voice. TeamSpeak seems to better support playing music.

I wonder if your PC is struggling to output 2 sound streams at once to your speakers or headset or your mixer is maybe muting one channel when another channel is speaking? Skype works like a telephone as well, the muting might be Skype trying to make one stream understandable?

JimSocks
August 6th, 2017, 05:29
I use the exact setup of programs you describe, and it works perfectly (Skype, VM Bananna, , VB Audio, and syrinscape)
My voicemeter settings:
Box 1: Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio), with only B selected
Box 2: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable), with only A selected
Box 3: VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO, with A and B selected
Output: Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio)

I had trouble with the last skype update, but messed around with skype's settings and got it back up and running. I run 5 people over a skype group call, syrinscape, and DM on FG all from the same shitty HP laptop- so it is totally possible to run smoothly. Of note: I use the mic from my headphones plugged into the laptop headphone jack.

Good luck, and I hope the above settings data helps you in some way.

Ramtrap
August 10th, 2017, 02:23
Thanks, all! @JimSocks, I'll check everything I've got again and see if I get any better sound with yours. My sounds last week came out okay, but there was some real disparity in the volume of some of them, and for some reason, halfway through the session, my playback (headphones) sound was halved, or something. I had to amplify the incoming sound to hear okay, and it wasn't as good as it could have been.

Otherwise, I hear a lot of good things about Dischord, and I'm already semi-used to using TeamSpeak from other games, so maybe I just tell everyone to download a better app if Skype can't cut it for me. Thanks again, everyone!

Seya
August 11th, 2017, 11:37
Discord has video coming out too

Ken L
August 13th, 2017, 19:13
Skype will work as well as Discord when you can get either of them to behave. I use a personal Teamspeak server for audio consistency at high quality.

jasonthelamb
August 13th, 2017, 19:15
I use Discord with VoiceMeter Banana, SyrinScape, Spotify, and fubar - and it works just fine. The only reason I'd pick TeamSpeak over Discord is the ability to create a "bot" and send music to it.

Nylanfs
August 14th, 2017, 01:07
Skype is very resource intensive so be careful with that option.