PDA

View Full Version : Connection issues

DaveNaler
August 5th, 2017, 20:42
OK need a bit of help, cannot figure this out. I have added port forwarding/virtual server and have tried with port triggers. I cannot get a connection or get the port open at all (I check using you get signal). Need some help on getting this solved, hasn't been an issue until the last week, now it won't setup. I had the cable modem replaced today since the old one would not allow access into to verify ports any longer. I've gone through several sites online with no luck, I've got an Arris Tg1682g.

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2017, 21:18
That router isn't noted on portforwarding.com so it's hard to look it up. Did you make sure that when you checked to see if your port was open (I assume you used canyouseeme.org or similar) that FG was running as if waiting for a player to join. If the port is not showing as open check that you are not on an IPv6 network; if you are then you'll need a VPN solution since you won't be able to use port forwarding.

Check also that you only have one router/modem and not two. Also make sure your network is set to private and not public. There's also the matter of any antivirus or other Firewall - all of those need to have FG whitelisted. To help you could do a tracert 8.8.8.8 and let us have a piccy of the first few lines of the result.

DaveNaler
August 5th, 2017, 21:24
how do I know if its ipv6? this worked until a few weeks ago with the same model modem

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2017, 21:27
It should tell you in View your network properties. IN Win 10 that's found in Windows Settings -> Network and Internet -> View Network properties.

DaveNaler
August 5th, 2017, 21:29
I get ipv4 connetivity and not ipv6.

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2017, 21:36
Hey Dave, I'm guessing you have that router from Cox? I'm pretty sure it's the one I have too.

Since it previously worked for you, these instructions are going to assume you just need help configuring the new router. The only thing you should need to do on the router is to go the Firewall > Virtual Servers and configure your rule there. Note that you probably have a new internal IP, so you can check that on the computer itself or through the Arris panels Lan Setup > Client List. You can also set a reserved IP for your host computer so you don't have to worry about your internal IP changing, this is done on the Client List by reserving an IP by MAC address.

You should also check that your network is set to private (home or work) and not public. There are reports of Windows updates changing this as well as if it is detecting a new network (since you have a new gateway).

DaveNaler
August 5th, 2017, 21:38
interesting its on public and i don't see a way to change it to private

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2017, 21:42
interesting its on public and i don't see a way to change it to private
Usually on the Network and Sharing center page, their is a link under the network name/icon that you can click and change. I've heard that not always is the setting there, and in that case you may have to Google it.

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2017, 21:42
Network settings _> Change connection settings -> Make this PC discoverable.

DaveNaler
August 5th, 2017, 21:57
I think i have it figured out, between avast and windows got networks to private and it now succeeds on test. thanx for the assist.