PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

Xavier Quicksilver
February 4th, 2006, 17:40
I have never actually played a game of D & D (PnP). However growing up I owned all of the core manuals and a few campaigns. I do understand the basic system and how it works. My problem is that I could never find anyone that was willing to play (at least seriously) in my neighborhood.

So with that said, with the advent of Fantasy Grounds I am encouraged to try playing as this will allow me to find others who wish to play regardless of location.

The problem is I am reluctant to just sign up for a game as I don't know exactly what is expected of me. Do I roll a character up before play? What specifically am I expected to know?

I am considering purchasing FG but I'd like to know that there is some hope that someone like me, who has never actually played, will be accepted and tolerated by more experienced players rather than viewed as 'dead weight.'

At the very least I'd like to contribute some day with content so I imagine I'll wind up purchasing the full FG license to facilitate that.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Stuart
February 4th, 2006, 18:02
There are a great many players who have had limited playing experience and some who have never played D&D before who are currently playing FG games. A couple in games I run. I can guarantee you will be welcome !

Xavier Quicksilver
February 4th, 2006, 18:10
Thanks for your reply Stuart.

I guess the fear I have is that I would be perceived as a 'drag' to other players. I would probably need more help than the average player until I felt comfortable in what was going on. As long as someone is willing to work with me I'll definitely do what it takes to be a good player.

I'm also curious as to exactly how much role-playing is the norm, or does that vary from game to game? I'm open to anything really.

TruthRevisited
February 4th, 2006, 19:11
Xavier, the one thing to remember is this... We ALL were in that boat at one time or another. I have been playing for many years, and I have to say that having someone that has never played is truly a joy for me. My wife had never played an RPG until we met. Up until she and I went back to school, and time became a major factor for her, she was in all of the games I ran.

I guess what I am saying is this, if you are new, and have no experience, many DM's like that. You come into a campaign fresh, with not preconceived idea of how things should be done. House rules will definately be easier for your to deal with, and your character's knowledge of his world would be extremely limited. This proves to be a valuable asset to me, as a DM, when the players known very little about the world. That way, if I make changes and such, I get little to no argument or cause for explinations.

In short, welcome to the boards, and let me know if I can help you out in any way, shape or form.

On a side note, I am currently working on a D20 side trek module, if you think you might be interested in seeing how I do things. Cheers.

TR

Stuart
February 4th, 2006, 21:52
Xavier
Look at the picture of TR ... does he *look* like a man who would get bothered by anything ? :D
You will find that the community that play this game are tremendously supportive and have absolutely no problem with new players of any standing ... it is one of the most significant strengths of this particular game and genre. My honest advice is to find a game and jump in !:)

LordTomar
February 4th, 2006, 22:06
Thanks for your reply Stuart.

I guess the fear I have is that I would be perceived as a 'drag' to other players. I would probably need more help than the average player until I felt comfortable in what was going on. As long as someone is willing to work with me I'll definitely do what it takes to be a good player.

I'm also curious as to exactly how much role-playing is the norm, or does that vary from game to game? I'm open to anything really.

Im just a player, but I have never had a problem with playing games with others who have just started playing.

Also with the roleplaying in game, its really based on the game your in and how the other players are.

TruthRevisited
February 5th, 2006, 04:29
Xavier
Look at the picture of TR ... does he *look* like a man who would get bothered by anything ? :D
You will find that the community that play this game are tremendously supportive and have absolutely no problem with new players of any standing ... it is one of the most significant strengths of this particular game and genre. My honest advice is to find a game and jump in !:)

**BEGIN HIJAK OF THREAD**

You hit right on the nose mate, nothing bothers me... especially that night. I went to a local bar and grill here called Chilis and had at least 1 of every drink on the specialty menu. Needless to say, my wife drove us home. :) Of course, that is not something I make a habit of, it was just that I had some really wonderful news that day.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled post.

**END HIJAK OF THREAD**