PDA

View Full Version : LFP Against the Cult of the Reptile God 5E; Sunday evenings PST

Mentalic
August 4th, 2017, 04:10
I am looking for 1 or 2 more players. If you are interested, please send me a PM.

FG License: Ultimate
Game System: 5E

Time Zone: PST
Day of week and time: Sundays starting at 6 pm PST
Planned start date: Unsure; still reading through the module and taking notes
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4 Hour sessions played weekly (module should take 20+ hours)
Term: Short Term (single module); may consider following it up with other modules if there is interest

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Teamspeak (own server)

Roleplay & Combat mix: Oldschool DnD with 5E rules
Number of Players in game & needed: Need 4 Players
Character starting level & equipment: First level; standard starting equioment

“Terror by night! The village of Orlane Is dying. Once a small and thriving community. Orlane has become a maze of locked doors and frightened faces. Strangers are shunned, trade has withered. Rumors flourish, growing wilder with each retelling. Terrified peasants flee their homes, abandoning their farms with no explanation. Others simply disappear…”

I will be running a group of four adventurers through a conversion of the 1E module “Against the Cult of the Reptile God.” Please make sure to read my house rules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pi_X0iGuVhyZT5j_Kcurzl02f-gQxlVTYQMVsA8xygo/edit?usp=sharing). They aren’t for everybody (Greyhawk Initiative, no Multiclassing, etc). Since classic modules were designed for slightly larger parties, I will run a very simple DMPC to help out a bit.

If all goes well, I may follow this with other first edition conversions as a sort of patchwork campaign. I already have a handful of modules in mind that I picked up from Classic Modules Today (https://classicmodulestoday.com/).

A word of caution on conversions:
Conversions can have uneven difficulty. I recently ran a conversion of a Paizo AP that I found on the Paizo forums. The party unfortunately TPKed rather suddenly after handling several encounters handily. I don't think this conversion will present as many issues though since older modules use mostly standard monsters.

Link to Gamecalendar page: LINK (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2681)

Bayliss
August 4th, 2017, 05:25
I am quite interested in your game and the time works great for me. I have been away from DnD for a while but looking to get back into it. I am also new to fantasy grounds but have been playing around with it and figuring things out.

phrcastro
August 4th, 2017, 15:10
Great initiative. Have played 2e a lot and look forward to more classics. Have enrolled in the calendar.
Cheers

BDaniel
August 4th, 2017, 21:03
I have signed up on the calendar. Love the older stuff.

mithc
August 4th, 2017, 21:13
Hey, I read through the house rules and I think this game would be a good fit for me both time and gameplay-wise. I also signed up on the calendar.

Mentalic
August 5th, 2017, 04:45
Looking for one more player. If you applied before, feel free to apply again. First person to apply on the calendar is in.

Xalorous
August 5th, 2017, 19:15
I looked at your house rules. I'm curious about the 'no health on long rest' one. How does the party heal in your adventure?

Mentalic
August 5th, 2017, 19:21
That one is right out of the DMG and in line with how previous editions handled healing. Players may heal via healing magic, song of rest, medical kits (with the healer feat), hit die use, and so on. They may also prevent damage with temporary hitpoints (ala Inspiring Leader, Aid, False Life, etc) and careful play.

Xalorous
August 5th, 2017, 20:15
Most of those healing methods require a player to dedicate themselves to the healing role, at least as an aspect of their role, which is fine, as long as someone wants to be a bard or one of the classes with healing spells.

5e includes short rests (hit die for healing, no spell recovery) and allows full recovery of hitpoints and spells for a long rest. The problem this resolves is cases where the party has just survived a fight and is low on resources. In your system, it could require 2-3 long rests to recover. Depending on how you run random encounters during rests, this could mean the party being attacked by a random encounter during one of those rests, plunging them into a fight where they have low hitpoints and no spells. I run a pretty hardcore game, but I make the reward of a long rest worth the risk (3 watches, 3 rolls for random encounter).

Mentalic
August 5th, 2017, 20:20
You are free to run your games how you wish man. I have no desire to enter into a debate with anyone over my house rules.

Xalorous
August 6th, 2017, 19:55
Of course, I feel the same way. I do like to understand others' reasons behind their rules, and to examine the effect they have on the campaign.

Mentalic
August 7th, 2017, 03:53
I know some folks might be a scared off by the Greyhawk Initiative (it IS very different). I have altered the house rules a bit so we will use a simplified version (that function somewhat like a simplified version of Speed Factor in the DMG). This is a variation I recently tried in a one shot with my local gaming group and it went over rather well. This is fully working in FG, btw. I have edited the extension Nicodemus released to work with these rules.

Kortraz
August 7th, 2017, 05:38
I would be interested in playing in your game. Im off on sundays and would like to get into a game.

Mentalic
August 7th, 2017, 05:42
Cool, you have been invited on the Calendar.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2681

Mentalic
August 10th, 2017, 02:42
Thanks for all the interest, folks. We are all filled.

DannyZ
August 10th, 2017, 04:09

Mentalic
August 21st, 2017, 06:18
I am looking for 1 or 2 more players. If you are interested, please send me a PM.

Furied Fate
August 24th, 2017, 03:21
I'm sending you a PM now!

Mentalic
August 25th, 2017, 22:49
Still looking for more. Send me a PM if interested.

Mentalic
September 11th, 2017, 13:18
Looking for one more player. The group (3 players at the moment) is about a session or two from finishing this one. We currently have a Paladin (built to tank), a Monk (can detect/disable traps), a Cleric (built to heal) and a Fighter (ranged build, DMPC).

Whoever joins would come in with as much XP as the lowest level party member (enough for 3rd level).

The campaign is very episodic (basically a string of old school modules). Once this is done we will transition to another module that I already have prepped.

Mike Maycock
September 12th, 2017, 21:37
So are you still looking for a player and what nights do you play?

Mike

Mentalic
September 12th, 2017, 22:00
As mentioned in the title, we play on Sunday evenings. The time is 6pm pacific.

More details are listed in the first post.