PDA

View Full Version : Simple but important requests

miklos
February 4th, 2006, 14:28
I do not know if these are possible requests but i know they will make FG perfect:
1.I would like a hex grid (about overland travels) included in your next update.
2.Also i would like to unmask the masked regions not in free hand style but with a square or a cone (to explain what the player is looking at).
3.One important feature will be something like giving a token a light source which will unmask the masked region as it moves!

SurlyDwarf
February 4th, 2006, 14:48
I do not know if these are possible requests but i know they will make FG perfect:
1.I would like a hex grid (about overland travels) included in your next update.
2.Also i would like to unmask the masked regions not in free hand style but with a square or a cone (to explain what the player is looking at).
3.One important feature will be something like giving a token a light source which will unmask the masked region as it moves!

All three good ideas but the third one is brilliant! I second it.

I would have thought of it eventually... :o

mr_h
February 4th, 2006, 15:00
All good ideas. I was thinking about that light source one the other day. I know Kloogewerks has something like that, it's a bit more complicated I think in their case:)

richvalle
February 4th, 2006, 15:06

Howdy.

1. This has been requested before. I think the responce was that it would be looked into. If its not planed for 1.06 already, I doubt it will be added.

2. Yes! This would be nice.

3. There was quite a long message thread about this before as well. One of the main issue (I think) is that there is no way for the map/FG program to know what a wall or door or tree is and how to stop the unmasking from taking place. So, this would only be usefull in a wide open field, a large scale map than unmaskes as they move for the day, or maybe a town.

In order to make this work, you would have to, somehow, tag a wall in the map in someway that FG knows what to do with it. That would mean that not only would I have to create the map in dundjinni, I would then have to redo it in FG to let it know what was a wall, door, ect.

Don't get me wrong... it would be a VERY cool idea. I'm running people though the WLD and it would be outstanding if I could take each character that is carrying a light source.

Hmmm, another problem. Light sources are treated differently for different races. For the human you get 20' of good vision and out to 40' of 'shadowy' vision. That same light will give an elf 40' of good vision and 80' of shadowy vision. Here is what you get:

Normal Vision
Ever burning torch: normal to 20 feet and shadowy to 40 feet
Sunrod: normal to 30 feet and shadowy to 60 feet

Lowlight Vision
Ever burning torch: normal to 40 feet and shadowy to 80 feet
Sunrod: normal to 60 feet and shadowy to 120 feet

Dark Vision
Normal to 60 feet

How to get each of those to work all at the same time? You would have to set the vision type for that charater, and then have it only display in the correct way on that persons screen. Which raises issues for the added functionality of being able to play 2 characters at the same time!

Maybe Smite Works will find some way to pull this off but I think it looks very difficault.

rv

richvalle
February 4th, 2006, 15:10

Howdy.

1. This has been requested before. I think the responce was that it would be looked into. If its not planed for 1.06 already, I doubt it will be added.

2. Yes! This would be nice.

3. There was quite a long message thread about this before as well. One of the main issue (I think) is that there is no way for the map/FG program to know what a wall or door or tree is and how to stop the unmasking from taking place. So, this would only be usefull in a wide open field, a large scale map than unmaskes as they move for the day, or maybe a town.

In order to make this work, you would have to, somehow, tag a wall in the map in someway that FG knows what to do with it. That would mean that not only would I have to create the map in dundjinni, I would then have to redo it in FG to let it know what was a wall, door, ect.

Don't get me wrong... it would be a VERY cool idea. I'm running people though the WLD and it would be outstanding if I could take each character that is carrying a light source.

Hmmm, another problem. Light sources are treated differently for different races. For the human you get 20' of good vision and out to 40' of 'shadowy' vision. That same light will give an elf 40' of good vision and 80' of shadowy vision. Here is what you get:

Normal Vision
Ever burning torch: normal to 20 feet and shadowy to 40 feet
Sunrod: normal to 30 feet and shadowy to 60 feet

Lowlight Vision
Ever burning torch: normal to 40 feet and shadowy to 80 feet
Sunrod: normal to 60 feet and shadowy to 120 feet

Dark Vision
Normal to 60 feet

How to get each of those to work all at the same time? You would have to set the vision type for that charater, and then have it only display in the correct way on that persons screen. Which raises issues for the added functionality of being able to play 2 characters at the same time!

Oh! And there would be Line of sight issues as well. If an elf is carrying a sunrod, will FG unmask everything in 120'? Even if its around the corner and down the hall and around another corner?

Maybe Smite Works will find some way to pull this off but I think it looks very difficault.

rv