PDA

View Full Version : Force Critical Damage

Danimal66
August 3rd, 2017, 19:00
Hi All,

Last night at the end of our session my characters leveled and one of the received an ability that delivers critical damage on any hit. I can't recall what it was called right now and it is more detailed than that, I believe the enemy must be surprised. Anyway I'm not very good with making effects, if I can't drag it out of the PHB and have it work or make an easy tweak I handled it manually.

While I believe I could handle this easily manually, just have the player roll the appropriate damage dice after the automatic damage roll and adjust in the combat tracker. I was wondering if there is some effect I could apply before they roll damage to force a crit damage roll. Ideally a button like we have for advantage / disadvantage would be great but clearly that doesn't exists.

Thanks

Nylanfs
August 3rd, 2017, 19:02
They can either hold Shift down when draggin the damage, or they can make a separate weapon line called <insert weapon name here> with critical, and double the damage.

Edit: Couldn't remember if it was Ctrl or Shift

Myrdin Potter
August 3rd, 2017, 19:03
As a general rule, holding down shift while rolling damage makes it a critical.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2017, 19:12
And clicking the "Critical" button in the Modifiers window before rolling damage.

You probably don't want to make it a weapon entry with double damage, because you'll then get x4 damage when they roll a 20.

Danimal66
August 3rd, 2017, 19:15
Wow thanks, I'm not in front of the game I must of never noticed the Crit button. Shift Key is easy enough.

Danimal66
August 16th, 2017, 19:25
And clicking the "Critical" button in the Modifiers window before rolling damage.

You probably don't want to make it a weapon entry with double damage, because you'll then get x4 damage when they roll a 20.

I just wanted to reply to this. The shift key method worked fine but I don't see a Critical button with the rest of the modifier buttons. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I didn't see it.

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2017, 20:18
Here it is

Danimal66
August 16th, 2017, 21:09
Here it is

I honestly don't see that but my theme doesn't look like that. I'll look again when I go home and take a screen shot

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2017, 21:45
Doesn't matter what your theme is; it'll be in the same place.

Nickademus
August 16th, 2017, 22:24
Doesn't matter what your theme is; it'll be in the same place.

Unless the theme removed the button. (Don't know why it would, but it's possible.)

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2017, 00:36
Unless the theme removed the button. (Don't know why it would, but it's possible.)

I assumed he meant the standard brown theme, but you are right of course he could be using something else.