PDA

View Full Version : There's a steam user having port forward issues

Nylanfs
August 3rd, 2017, 14:18
I have the feeling that he's in a double NAT situation.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/1471967615838005387/

Hello.
I just moved to another apartment and so changed my internet provider, as well as my router.
As usual, I started configuring my router to some port forwarding, which includes FG's port 1802.
To my surprise, after I ran the Connection Test on the Fantasy Grounds launcher, it returned with a "Failure". I proceeded on following some steps on FG's own connection issue page, but to no avail.
Here are the steps I followed:
-I changed my dynamic IP to static.
-I made sure there was no IP conflict with the chosen IP.
-I gave FG's executable permissions (trough Windows Firewall, for example).
-I deactivated Windows Firewall entirely, as well as my routers internal firewall.

That's all I remember for now.. All of this did not solve the problem. A curious thing, tough: Other games and applications that depend on port forwarding function normally. It's almost as if FG's port is specifically blocked for my connection.

Could anyone, dev or not, shed some light into this?
I REALLY need to use FG, and I can't host (nor join) any games.

Thanks!

You should be able to join, port forwarding is only needed for GMing.

I wonder if you are behind a second router for the building.

Try this
run CMD then

tracert 8.8.8.8

Well, I can not... An error message comes up stating that I should check my network connection and try again...

I might be behind a second router. My provider is a small one and I suspect this might be the case...

1 4 ms 6 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
2 3 ms 3 ms 2 ms 172.18.18.1
3 11 ms 7 ms 4 ms 177.22.37.177
4 11 ms 5 ms 6 ms 177.22.32.65
5 9 ms 5 ms 7 ms

These were the results of the command.

Darth_LucSky
August 3rd, 2017, 21:39
Up!
And thanks, Nylanfs, for your help!
What bothers me the most is the fact that I can't even join games from other persons.
This is all very weird.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2017, 21:44
Welcome to the forums Darth_LucSky Sorry you're having issues.

What bothers me the most is the fact that I can't even join games from other persons.
If you can't join games that other GMs are hosting then there's a definite block somewhere which is beyond port forwarding not working (which is just used when GMing yourself anyway).

Are you using the external IP address or the Alias provided by the GM when trying to connect? You could try to connect to me on vast wizard ugly ninja - I'll keep the server up for a couple of hours.

If you can't connect, then check your Network Interface in Windows Network and Sharing Center - does it show as Public or Private (work or home)? If public then set it to private and try connecting again.

Darth_LucSky
August 3rd, 2017, 22:29
I'm using an alias, yes, but the external IP did not work as well.

So, the same error came up when I tried to join your session..

I changed the network type from Public to Private, but the same error came up afterwards.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2017, 22:35
So, the same error came up when I tried to join your session..

I changed the network type from Public to Private, but the same error came up afterwards.
I didn't see you try to connect, either so it does look like you're being completely blocked.

Check your anti-virus/security application on your computer and see if there is a firewall/access exception setup for FantasyGrounds.exe on port 1802 on your Private network.

Darth_LucSky
August 3rd, 2017, 22:45
Before, I have deactivated both my firewall as well as my security application and it did not solve the problem.

I also believe something is blocking my connection. BUT only FG's port seems to be affected by this. I opened the ports of other games and programs and it worked fine.