PDA

View Full Version : Changing the size of the chat box

danielpryor
February 3rd, 2006, 18:24
I was wondering what file contains the CLI info for telling FG how big the chat box is and where's it's located on the screen. It wouuld be great it if wasn't "stuck" in one place too, minizable, etc. but if I could at least get it to resize that would be excellent! I've searched the forums here but couldn't find this topic. thanks.

joshuha
February 3rd, 2006, 18:42
I did a search for chatbox and found this, should help you out.

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15437&postcount=2

danielpryor
February 3rd, 2006, 19:06
Ah, thanks, I think I got it now... :)

Here's a screen shot of what I did. Basically I made the chatbox transparent, except for when I roll the dice and then it becomes transparent with a yellow highlight. I also changed the background....

https://danielpryor.com/dundjinni/images/FG_DesktopMod-01.jpg

richvalle
February 3rd, 2006, 23:51
Wow. That is quite nice looking.

rv

mr_h
February 4th, 2006, 02:05
Whoa....that's cool. Is it for a ruleset? Or just general usage?

danielpryor
February 4th, 2006, 08:09
Whoa....that's cool. Is it for a ruleset? Or just general usage?

I download (and payed for) the "full" RSD d20 ruleset from rpgnow.com and then I preceeded to modify the right .xml files, etc, downloaded a new background, etc. If you'd like I could maybe give you guys a screenshot of the filestructure I created and give the three or four files that were modified. I basically made a composite from the zd20 and RSD d20 rulesets, using the zd20 filestructure but the RSD d20 data.

https://danielpryor.com/dundjinni/images/!Temp-DCP00924.JPG

If anyone hasn't downloaded the new rsd d20 ruleset yet you should, it's totally worth the $5 or whatever you'll pay for it because there's tons of more data! OH, that being said if I do post up files THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK UNLES YOU'VE PAID FOR THE NEW RULESET! I want you guys to buy and support the new ruleset, so no pay, no play.

ldsjohn
February 5th, 2006, 03:01
I would love to have a patch or something that I could apply to my dnd-srd folder so to do that, I dont need the background but I really want to know how you did that transoparancy :-D

im guessing here but did you just amke a transparent image and then a 100 perccent transparant and then ahve it switch, I dont see the transparancy settings so that is my guess..

danielpryor
February 6th, 2006, 09:24
here's another modifcation, the rulebooks now look like D&D books! LOL!

https://danielpryor.com/dundjinni/images/FG_DesktopMod-02.jpg

When I get the whole thing completed, I'll let you guys know. I also plan to add more color tabs for the images, etc, add a few more icons for the cycle too, etc.

Wraith
February 6th, 2006, 20:13
thats cool is there any chance you will share how you made the chat window transparent.

danielpryor
February 7th, 2006, 03:52
Well I downloaded the full RSD d20 set from rpgnow.com for $5 and then I simply modified the /frames directory files so that the chat window was transparent, until you roll a dice on it then it becomes yellow/transparent. I used the Paint Shop Pro X program by Corel to make it transparent, saving it as a .png file for compatibility. Unless you wanted a literal step-by-step instructions this should give you enough info the change it. Yuo don't even have to change any of the .xml files to do it.

For those of you who are lost about all of this, you can wait until I"m completely done and I'll not only post up the changes to the RSD set but give you give full details on how its done.

HeavilyMental
February 14th, 2006, 14:16
Great idea!!!!

I am not a programmer, but I also made my desktop ruleset-specific by doing the following:

I changed the two PNG files (chatbox.png, chatboxhilight.png) in my rulesets\<insertrulesetname>\data\frames folder, then I went into the graphics.xml file and pointed the appropriate framedefs to my ruleset. Haven't tested it with a player to see if it actually works for players or not.

If you want the effect like above, just 1) modify chatbox.png leaving only a bottom box for the chat area, and 2) add a bigger box (transparency if you wish) to the chatboxhilight.png appropriately filling in the rest of the chatbox area. I used the original chatbox.png & chatboxhilight.pngs on a separate layer as guides. Obviously, you can get as crazy as you want. :)

Additionally, if you desire to change font colors (I made most of mine white), go into the ruleset bmpfonts.xml file and modify color codes there.

HTH,
HeavilyMental

P.S. If *I* can do it, anyone can!!!