PDA

View Full Version : does FG support Multiple PC's on home network

akauankka
July 31st, 2017, 20:16
Hi all:

New guy here with a question I hope I can get answered. Is it possible to have more than one PC on a home network running FG, either as DM or player?

My two young grandsons have gotten me back into D&D after not playing since the mid 80's. My thought was to start using FG instead of the old paper/pencil style. This would also allow us to play more often, one of my grandsons lives three hours away and only gets up here every other month.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2017, 20:18
Absolutely!

And welcome to the FG forums akauankka

See this recent thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36957-Playing-At-Home-Including-Fantasy-Grounds

Nylanfs
July 31st, 2017, 21:33
Yes, people on your network use the internal IP address FG reports, external ppl use the eternal IP address or the Alias.

LordEntrails
July 31st, 2017, 21:52
In short, only one computer on a network can host at a time (unless you do some special things), but as many as you want can be players/clients.

akauankka
July 31st, 2017, 22:01
Thanx for the quick reply.
I have read the post listed above but I am still a little confused. This is the part that confuses me.

"If you want additional computers to connect to the GM then you'll have the usual FG licensing come into effect. Note: if you have a standard license a single play (and only one player in total for the campaign session) can connect - the game will switch into "demo" mode, but you can still use Fantasy Grounds as normal. If additional demo licenses try to connect they will be blocked and if a standard/ultimate connect the campaign will switch out of demo mode and the one demo license will be kicked off. "

Does this mean I can only have one other PC connect if I have the ultimate version ?

Andraax
July 31st, 2017, 22:11
If you have the regular license, any number of regular or ultimate license holders can connect, and only *one* demo license can connect (and *only* that one demo license, the demo user will be kicked off if a regular or ultimate license holder connects).

If you have the ultimate license, any number of ultimate, regular, *or* demo users can connect at once.

akauankka
July 31st, 2017, 22:49
This is bad news... for the wife :)
Thanx all for the replies

LordEntrails
July 31st, 2017, 23:19
This is bad news... for the wife :)
Thanx all for the replies
LOL, Hey, tell her it's family time, she needs to jump in and join you!

Maybe it will work for you, never worked for me :(

akauankka
July 31st, 2017, 23:20
She told me she will try d&d when I can knit a hat for her. I hope she doesn't hold her breath.

JohnD
August 1st, 2017, 01:39
She told me she will try d&d when I can knit a hat for her. I hope she doesn't hold her breath.

You've got to make her follow through on that dude.

dragonheels
August 1st, 2017, 07:57
LOL, Hey, tell her it's family time, she needs to jump in and join you!

Maybe it will work for you, never worked for me :(

I've got the same problem... I'm sur she would love it if only she tried :(

akauankka
August 3rd, 2017, 18:59
Quick update:

I have purchased the "ultimate" license and a bunch of books. I have had one session so far with two other players connected locally, same room, no issues what so ever.
Now the learning begins :)

P.S. how do you deal with healing potions?

Nylanfs
August 3rd, 2017, 19:00
By using readied targeted range attacks when the PC's try to use them.

LordEntrails
August 3rd, 2017, 19:40
*lol* @Nylafs

Several ways, one is for the PC's to make actions with the HEAL effect. You can make them as ranged weapons so you can add ammo, or do them as spells with uses etc. I'm not sure what is considered the best way. I'm sure some of that is preference.

JohnD
August 3rd, 2017, 20:34
By using readied targeted range attacks when the PC's try to use them.

Area of effect spells are good too.