PDA

View Full Version : Slow Import/Export character window

Mavrik6666
July 31st, 2017, 09:40
When people import or export characters, are they seeing a really slow window open for them to search for the sheets. Its not specifically an FG issue, as the load window is part of Windows, but it only happens in FG

Sometimes I have to wait 2-3 min for the option to look for the folder, its painfully slow

thoughts ?

Zacchaeus
July 31st, 2017, 10:42
Not heard of this one and it's pretty much instant for me. What OS are you using? Are your windows permissions set correctly? Is this in Manage Characters or in the main FG? Are these characters you have created yourself or are they from a campaign you are playing in? Is this on your own machine or when you join a game? Some more info might be useful in tracking this one down.

Mavrik6666
July 31st, 2017, 12:48
Win 10, permission set, as far I I know...its on my own machine, when I DM, I lick to import character, then wait for a few minutes while it allows me to search the folders for the files.. once i find them imports fine and quickly

LordEntrails
July 31st, 2017, 13:48
I've seen this type of behavior with other folders in Windows (various versions). It is always related to the default location that the window is trying to open in being a network or cloud location. I believe if your last import location was on a network or cloud location, the next time you try to open the window it will try accessing the same location. And sometimes if their are resolution issues this can take some time.

Try importing from a local folder, and then re-opening the import window and see if it comes up quickly.

Mavrik6666
July 31st, 2017, 14:53
tried.. .no difference

Trenloe
July 31st, 2017, 16:26
So, is it that the window opens quickly, but takes a long time to populate and allow you to use it fully, or is it that the window takes ages to even open?

If you have the ability to do a quick video screen capture, could you do that and post so we get an idea of exactly what's happening?

Ken L
August 1st, 2017, 12:13
FG is single threaded that means the UI could literally freeze as something is loading, or even as simple as sending map information to your players. It's antiquated and based off legacy code but the speed is highly dependent on your machine due to this. That is probably why you're experiencing these issues.

Mavrik6666
August 1st, 2017, 12:59
So, is it that the window opens quickly, but takes a long time to populate and allow you to use it fully, or is it that the window takes ages to even open?

If you have the ability to do a quick video screen capture, could you do that and post so we get an idea of exactly what's happening?

Yes, the window opens quickly.. then hangs looking for population eventually gets there, but it does it each time I open the window
My system is pretty top notch in specs, so I don't think its that, and it doesn't happen on any other app I have

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2017, 18:01
The window that pops open is from the operating system. FG just requests a file open or file save dialog. All of the actual dialog functionality is part of windows.

The usual culprits I have when a file explorer type window loads slowly has to do around inclusion of network links/folders or file synching applications (like OneDrive).

Regards,
JPG