PDA

View Full Version : window dressing in/on maps

DragonsDen13
July 31st, 2017, 05:39
I was just wondering when making maps, if I wanted to add "window dressing" to them, would it work okay to do the fluff as tokens?

I was thinking this would allow me to re-use maps and have them look different each time.

The second reason is that I was thinking of a large dungeon crawl where things might look different with later trips into it. Something like dead bodies, blood splatter damaged furnishing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your assistance/opinions.

dunadan
July 31st, 2017, 06:50
Depends what software you are using to generate the map.

If you are using a package that allows layers (PS, GIMP etc), then add your "window dressing" on a separate layer. You can turn it on/off (or add/delete items) before exporting as jpg. Will give you different versions of the same base map fairly easily.

GunnarGreybeard
July 31st, 2017, 07:10
I would echo what dunadan posted about the graphic programs. Depending the ruleset you are using, I also know that there is a Enhanced Images (layers) extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)) that might be useful if you plan to use tokens.

Zacchaeus
July 31st, 2017, 08:55
You can use tokens but unless you use something like the extension that is mentioned above you will have problems selecting, moving and targeting PCs and NPCs if they are on top of or under such scenery features.

DragonsDen13
July 31st, 2017, 10:07
Thanks for all of the responses.

Since I only use Paint to copy and paste my maps together, it seems the best thing I could do is use the extension to put the token room furnishings on a different layer.

GunnarGreybeard
July 31st, 2017, 10:47
If you are using the basic Paint program you might want to look at Paint.net which does allow for layers and is pretty easy to use.

Wookiee420
July 31st, 2017, 15:12
keep in mind the more tokens you use the more things that are loaded into memory, FG currently is a 32 bit program and as such it can only use 3.2 gigs of RAM. so just keep in mind the more you use the slower it is and potentially could hit the RAM threshold and crash.

GarthGiantbane
July 31st, 2017, 16:29
I like the Enhanced Images extensive and used it a few times. It gives you 3 levels of the image (I number the 1-3 from bottom to top) . Level 3 is where you drop the characters and monster tokens. Layer one is where you apply the mask. It takes getting used to, to switch between 1 and 3 to move tokens or unmask sections.

Last time I set it up I did what you are describing - dressed out the dungeon on layer 2 with rugs, chairs, beds, etc. But then I discovered that layer 2 doesn't get masked :( So my advice - put all the dressing and static stuff on layer 1. Layer 2 is good for the blood splatter or skull & crossbones for the creatures after they're killed.

Jay_NOLA
July 31st, 2017, 20:20
Use a separate layer for the window dressing like others have suggested Paint.net and Gimp are good programs for that. Also note that a lot of map mink programs keeps stuff on separate layers that can be turned on and off. If your Window dressing item is something that can or you expect to get moved around during the game use a token. Example: in a barroom brawl you might have the chairs as tokens since you expect characters will pick them up and use as weapons.