PDA

View Full Version : MUSE - Map Unit Settings Extension (CoreRPG)

celestian
July 30th, 2017, 21:17
This extension is no longer needed or supported with FGU.

MUSE, Map Unit Settings Extension for CoreRPG.

Last tested with FG 3.3.10. Works with FGU but new functionality has been added to make this redundant in FGU. (You do not need this extension if you use FGU :) )

Not compatible with the AD&D ruleset as it's built into it already.

This extension should work for CoreRPG rulesets. It will allow you to set the unit size of a grid/hex instead of just the standard 5ft. The default is 5ft. A lot of the older games use 10ft unit size and this will allow those DM/players to properly see distances for those maps.

The current version of the extension is attached to this post.

Here is what it looks like in action in CoreRPG using 5ft unit. Note the two highlighted points. The top bar, you'll need to enable grid tools and then you'll see the unit size box.

https://i.imgur.com/3tfO6He.png

Here is an example with 10ft.

https://i.imgur.com/vaynaAj.png

If there is a version I am working on it will reside on the GitHUB repo here :GitHUB, MUSE (https://github.com/CelestianGC/MUSE/)

Changelog

1.2 - fixed bug in "read only" mode when using cone/line/distance hostkeys.
1.3 - fixed bug with AOE templates (Circle/Cone/Square).
1.7 - added support for "metric" (decimal)
1.8 - Updates for 3.3.7 release.
1.9 - Fixed issue that caused unit sizes with decimals to be calculated incorrectly.
1.10 - Updated for Menu system changes in 3.3.10 and FGU

Download here:

Asterionaisien
July 30th, 2017, 21:37
This should be really made part the base program, looks really useful for all GM's! Thanks Celestian

celestian
July 30th, 2017, 21:53
Version update.

Removed the <ruleset> specification, I thought it would allow all rulesets that include CoreRPG to see it but apparently not. I've remove that restriction now but just know this will only work with CoreRPG rulesets (rulesets that include CoreRPG or CoreRPG proper).

LordEntrails
July 30th, 2017, 21:59
How does it affect token sizing? If automatic token sizing is enabled, will medium size tokens now take up one 10 ft grid or will they take up 1/4 of a 10 ft grid?

celestian
July 30th, 2017, 22:14
How does it affect token sizing? If automatic token sizing is enabled, will medium size tokens now take up one 10 ft grid or will they take up 1/4 of a 10 ft grid?

Far as I know the tokensize will be adjusted based on the unit, not the unit size. 1 unit is 1 unit. Whether its considered 10 ft or 5 ft I don't think matters. Mind you if you change the unit size while the tokens are there I'm not sure what will happen. When I placed tokens on it they scaled to the unit (square) as you'd expect.

Here is the same tokens in CoreRPG I used in the 5ft example using 10ft. This answer your question? I use the auto-scale option of "80%".

https://i.imgur.com/WKNRcof.png

celestian
July 31st, 2017, 06:54
1.2, Bug fixed in read only mode when using distance/cone/etc hostkeys.

celestian
September 30th, 2017, 04:46
edit: this was fixed in update 1.3

I just found that when using this extension it will make the "pointers" for shapes (cone/square/etc) limited to just some burst templates. I'll look at fixing this when I return from work travel this weekend.

celestian
September 30th, 2017, 20:25
Update: 1.3

Found and fixed the issue with the aoe templating (circle/square/cone). You can now place them on the map not just use the quick draw mode for them.

Thegroo
October 1st, 2017, 01:52
Good work

Slalom
October 28th, 2017, 10:59
Good work. Very useful.

Thegroo
October 29th, 2017, 01:30

YAKO SOMEDAKY
December 7th, 2017, 18:17
Thanks Celestian!

heedio
August 26th, 2018, 12:36
Thank you Celestian for this extension,

I propose to modify 2 functions to make the extension compatible with the metric system and the decimal values.
I tested and it works in foots and metric.

In the file "image_record.lua" you have to modify:

function getScaleControlScaleValue()
-- return getScaleControlisValid() and tonumber(getScaleControlValue():match("[%d+%p+%d]-^[%s*]")) or 0
local sLenScale=string.len(getScaleControlValue());
local sLenScaleLabel=string.len(getScaleControlScaleLabe l());
local sValScale=string.sub(getScaleControlValue(),1,sLen Scale-sLenScaleLabel);
return getScaleControlisValid() and tonumber(sValScale) or 0;
end

and ...

function getScaleControlScaleLabel()
-- return StringManager.trim(getScaleControlValue():gsub("^%d+%s*", ""))
return StringManager.trim(getScaleControlValue():gsub("^[%d+%p+%d]+%s*", ""))
end

celestian
August 27th, 2018, 15:16
Thank you Celestian for this extension,

I propose to modify 2 functions to make the extension compatible with the metric system and the decimal values.
I tested and it works in foots and metric.

In the file "image_record.lua" you have to modify:

and ...

I'll give these changes a spin and post for you to test sometime this week. Thanks for the tweaks!

celestian
August 27th, 2018, 18:21
Okay, try this version out and let me know if it works for you. My initial testing showed it worked.

If it works for you I'll update the top post.

sirkerry
August 28th, 2018, 16:30
Note: there's no reason to use this with the Savage Worlds rule set, it already has most of this functionality baked in.

celestian
August 28th, 2018, 17:06
Note: there's no reason to use this with the Savage Worlds rule set, it already has most of this functionality baked in.

Infact it would probably cause problems if you did use it since they do the same things. ;(

sirkerry
August 28th, 2018, 20:15
Infact it would probably cause problems if you did use it since they do the same things. ;(

Actually it works just fine, the main problem just being that it removes the predefined small, medium, and large burst templates from the pointers.

celestian
August 28th, 2018, 20:57
Actually it works just fine, the main problem just being that it removes the predefined small, medium, and large burst templates from the pointers.

I would class that as a "caused" problem ;) I imagine they both use the same xml entries which is why. (I've no experience running SW ruleset directly).

celestian
December 19th, 2018, 01:29
Update:
1.8 - Updates for 3.3.7 release.

Dr0W
July 30th, 2019, 17:08
Hi! Any chance it could possibly support fractions for measurement? For example, most brazilian d20 systems use 1.5 meters for squares, but the extension would recognize the .5 part as the unit name.

garrion_sw
September 30th, 2019, 19:09
Celestian, I'm running into a little problem with the calculation of the units with this extension. This has come up due to Traveller using a 1.5m grid. The ruleset properly computes distances but in some instances I may want to change it to 1 parsec, 10 m, or 1 km distance for larger scale stuff, hence using your extension. I am using 1.8 and I saw where as of 1.7 this supported metric and decimals.

The first grid space from the target properly computes at 1.5m but every step beyond that it is adding a whole number value of 1 rather than multiplying 1.5 -> 3 -> 4.5 -> 6, etc. Instead it is doing 1.5 -> 2.5 -> 3.5 -> 4.5, etc. I tested this with other frameworks to see if it just happened to be the Traveller ruleset default that was messing with it but it does this in all that I tried.

I can make do without this extension but if you could find a fix it would be appreciated.

celestian
September 30th, 2019, 19:45
Celestian, I'm running into a little problem with the calculation of the units with this extension. This has come up due to Traveller using a 1.5m grid. The ruleset properly computes distances but in some instances I may want to change it to 1 parsec, 10 m, or 1 km distance for larger scale stuff, hence using your extension. I am using 1.8 and I saw where as of 1.7 this supported metric and decimals.

The first grid space from the target properly computes at 1.5m but every step beyond that it is adding a whole number value of 1 rather than multiplying 1.5 -> 3 -> 4.5 -> 6, etc. Instead it is doing 1.5 -> 2.5 -> 3.5 -> 4.5, etc. I tested this with other frameworks to see if it just happened to be the Traveller ruleset default that was messing with it but it does this in all that I tried.

I can make do without this extension but if you could find a fix it would be appreciated.

I'm a bit backed up due to my day job travel recently but I'll try and take a look at this once I get caught up with current FG projects.

celestian
October 2nd, 2019, 22:45

I think I have a working solution.

This the type of behavior you are looking for?

https://i.imgur.com/njXVP9r.png

celestian
October 5th, 2019, 23:49
Update

1.9 - Fixed issue that caused unit sizes with decimals to be calculated incorrectly.

mattekure
October 6th, 2019, 00:10
I think you forgot to reupload the attachment with the 1.9 update. there isnt any on the first post.

celestian
October 6th, 2019, 00:33
I think you forgot to reupload the attachment with the 1.9 update. there isnt any on the first post.

Well kiss my grits, sure nuff. I had posted the edit but still had the manage attachements window opened.

Should be there now.

Valyar
October 6th, 2019, 08:09
I noticed that when the extension is loaded and I open a locked image, there is grey (or other default for the ruleset color) ribbon that disappears only when I unlock/lock the image.

The state is not persistent and when I re-load a campaign - the ribbon is there again. Tested on CoreRPG, MoreCore and image is attached.

seycyrus
October 6th, 2019, 15:46
Ha!

The GURPS ruleset has something like this already built in, but I was interested in the decimal point (.5 etc.) that I saw in the screenshots, so I loaded it up to give it a whirl.

Evidently, they do not play that well together, resulting in the attached image. Finally, an accuracy that even my most rules-lawyering players will be happy with!

garrion_sw
October 9th, 2019, 15:02
Thanks Celestian, I finally got a chance to check the thread and got your update. It works perfectly now. I modified the height extension to use 1.5m increments and it's all good.

vvZODvv
January 5th, 2020, 18:34
I'm getting the same thing. A minor thing for sure, but one I'd rather not have present if possible.

vvZODvv
January 5th, 2020, 18:35
I'm getting the same "ribbon" at the top as noted by Valyar. A minor thing for sure, but one I'd rather not have present if possible.

celestian
January 5th, 2020, 19:46
I'm getting the same "ribbon" at the top as noted by Valyar. A minor thing for sure, but one I'd rather not have present if possible.

I'm holding off working on this extension further until FGU is released. Mapping and images changes pretty dramatically. I've got a working prototype but things are still in flux for now.

vvZODvv
January 5th, 2020, 20:32
I'm holding off working on this extension further until FGU is released. Mapping and images changes pretty dramatically. I've got a working prototype but things are still in flux for now.

Gotcha. Thanks!

celestian
March 5th, 2020, 02:24
Updated

1.10 - Updated for Menu system changes in 3.3.10 and FGU

Should work in FGC and FGU tho FGU is still in flux due to development on that product.

vvZODvv
March 7th, 2020, 14:46
Excellent update. Thanks celestian!

Dr0W
March 8th, 2020, 07:15
Hello Celestian, I've downloaded the latest update and it seems to not display decimal numbers correctly. While it is calculating it correctly, it's rounding the number up.

Example, instead of displaying 1.5m -> 3m -> 4.5m ->6m
it displays: 2m -> 3m -> 5m -> 6m.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

celestian
March 8th, 2020, 07:51
Hello Celestian, I've downloaded the latest update and it seems to not display decimal numbers correctly. While it is calculating it correctly, it's rounding the number up.

Example, instead of displaying 1.5m -> 3m -> 4.5m ->6m
it displays: 2m -> 3m -> 5m -> 6m.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

At some point during the testing with FGU I had to use rounding because it would have numbers like 1.23323435345. It looks like they might have fixed that. When FGU comes out I'll push out a new version that doesn't round if it's still working within FGU.

Dr0W
March 8th, 2020, 16:41
No worries, I had a working older version with that problem and I changed it to support one decimal, but I had to limit it to how many decimals I needed. If FGU doesn't go well with it, I can fix my own solution.
At least here in brazil we always use decimals for measuring distances for DnD-like systems, as in 5ft = 1.5 meters.

Thanks for the extension.

celestian
March 8th, 2020, 19:46
No worries, I had a working older version with that problem and I changed it to support one decimal, but I had to limit it to how many decimals I needed. If FGU doesn't go well with it, I can fix my own solution.
At least here in brazil we always use decimals for measuring distances for DnD-like systems, as in 5ft = 1.5 meters.

Thanks for the extension.

I've got a version working but I'm holding off to make sure I don't have to release another version a few days later to update it again for FGU.

The version in FGC does look different than FGU even now. In FGC if I have the unit size set to 5 and im measuring a single unit it shows as 5.0. In FGU it shows as 5 for the same thing. When using 1.5 for a unit size both show the decimals where they should but when a whole number FGU doesn't show X.0 where FGC does. It's not a big thing but I am not sure if work on that is finished in FGU.

Feel free to snag the version on GitHub tho if you'd like to use it.

SirMotte
April 17th, 2020, 13:26
Looking forward to a "proper" FGU release. MUSE is a life saver extension and greatly missed in Unity. Thank you for your hard work!

celestian
April 17th, 2020, 16:26
Looking forward to a "proper" FGU release. MUSE is a life saver extension and greatly missed in Unity. Thank you for your hard work!

It should work currently. Unless they've changed something again that broke it?

SirMotte
April 18th, 2020, 13:48
It should work currently. Unless they've changed something again that broke it?

Indeed, and up until now without a flaw! Didn't realize that there was a github version, sorry. :)
Thank you so much.

celestian
April 18th, 2020, 19:28
Indeed, and up until now without a flaw! Didn't realize that there was a github version, sorry. :)
Thank you so much.

1.10 (the version on this post) should be whats on the GitHub... but I'm glad it's working for you now ;)

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2020, 02:48
I thought FGU allowed grids to be set to any size?

celestian
April 20th, 2020, 02:58

You can set the pixel size (FGC and FGU) but it doesn't let you change the unit type of that grid. So if the grid is 10ft or 20 miles or 20cm...

SirMotte
April 20th, 2020, 09:41

That is correct, but like celestian said, normally you can't change how the grid is measured. Please see attached examples.
I'm using the metric system in my games, as people are not able to "judge" distances correctly if they are not familiar with the imperial measurement units, which, in my experience, breaks immersion for some people or simply annoys them (no offense).

This extensions also allows to use fractions like 1.5m (5ft) and then correctly add them together eg. 3m (10ft). Before, I always had to have a converter app like F-Droids "Equate" at hand to quickly convert more complex distances without guesswork or taking too much time for actual calculations.

Therefore for people who want to use the metric or any other unit sizes in their games, this is a must have extension.

Cheers
SirMotte

PS: Works on all grid types supported by FGU and is on individual basis per map, how awesome!

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 21:53
You can set the pixel size (FGC and FGU) but it doesn't let you change the unit type of that grid. So if the grid is 10ft or 20 miles or 20cm...
Ah, knew you could set the grid size, but though you could change the units in FGU. But glad we've got you around :)

SirMotte. no offense taken. There might be the suggestion already that could be voted on in the wishlist. If not, one could be added... :)

celestian
April 21st, 2020, 22:11
Ah, knew you could set the grid size, but though you could change the units in FGU. But glad we've got you around :)

SirMotte. no offense taken. There might be the suggestion already that could be voted on in the wishlist. If not, one could be added... :)

There is a suggestion by me somewhere in the list.

They added some new API hooks for us to use but the control interface does not have a unit size... tho I hold out hope they add it since it's a tiny add and they have the space in the grid options control for it.

vvZODvv
April 21st, 2020, 22:15
Agreed. It seems to be a simple add, but if it doesn't happen I'll always have this extension to use for any ruleset that has a Speed stat that isn't counted in 5' steps!

Kolimar
May 3rd, 2020, 09:37
This extension is great but i play in system that the distance is not measure correctly with this extension (pathfinder and d&d 3.5).

The distance is correct but...
The distance is incorrect. It must be 4 cases instead of 3. Is it possible to change the measure ? Thanks.

celestian
May 4th, 2020, 06:21
This extension is great but i play in system that the distance is not measure correctly with this extension (pathfinder and d&d 3.5).

The distance is correct but...
The distance is incorrect. It must be 4 cases instead of 3. Is it possible to change the measure ? Thanks.

Using the variant diagonal option in Campaign Setting?

MUSE doesn't actually know anything other than "unit" size. X of these per Grid. Outside of that it gets everything else from FG.

Kolimar
May 4th, 2020, 08:49
Using the variant diagonal option in Campaign Setting?

MUSE doesn't actually know anything other than "unit" size. X of these per Grid. Outside of that it gets everything else from FG.

Yes, i understand. But when i create a campaign (3.5/pathfinder ruleset), i haven't variant diagonal option. Same for Pathfinder 2 rulestet. Is it normal or i am a bad luck man ?

celestian
May 4th, 2020, 15:00
Yes, i understand. But when i create a campaign (3.5/pathfinder ruleset), i haven't variant diagonal option. Same for Pathfinder 2 rulestet. Is it normal or i am a bad luck man ?

I am not familiar with either of those systems (or rulesets) and their rules on diagonal distances. Check the distances w/o MUSE. I suspect you'll see similar behavior.

Naroe
June 16th, 2020, 16:52
Celestian,

I use another extension that doesn't seem to access your updated map units. I am wondering what variable etc needs to be passed to it?

The extension is using GameSystem.getDistanceUnitsPerGrid() for its calculations for range, which is still coming up as the default 5ft.

celestian
October 23rd, 2020, 15:44
It looks like the new FGU update posted today will make this extension unnecessary.

Grid distance display fields added to grid toolbar in image data control.

Woot!

micael
August 30th, 2023, 21:14
Hi,

anybody have an idea why the map menu in the top right corner (see screenshot) is not fully visible? I use the extension muse, but part of the menu is in the invisible area? I have not done the great update of the last ays because I feared that extensions are no longer functionable.

Thanks

Micael

Zacchaeus
August 30th, 2023, 21:34
Hi,

anybody have an idea why the map menu in the top right corner (see screenshot) is not fully visible? I use the extension muse, but part of the menu is in the invisible area? I have not done the great update of the last ays because I feared that extensions are no longer functionable.

Thanks

Micael

This extension isn't needed in FGU. You can do what this extension does in FGU now (and always have been able to as far as I know).

celestian
August 30th, 2023, 22:25
This extension isn't needed in FGU. You can do what this extension does in FGU now (and always have been able to as far as I know).

yeap this. No longer needed.