PDA

View Full Version : PF automation question

rob2e
July 30th, 2017, 03:16
I opened the PF ruleset for the first time to check it out. I've never played PF, but I wanted to see the similarities/differences to the 5E ruleset. I started a PC and proceeded to drag race/ class, etc. on to the sheet. It seems that none of it is automated (like the 5E ruleset PC building is).

Am I correct, or am I missing something?

spite
July 30th, 2017, 04:19
Pretty sure only 5e has that automation. It's the same throughout the other rulesets for the most part. 5e is officially licensed, so it behooves Smiteworks to make the content that they can sell. For PF, they only just recently got official support, and with the MASS of options out there, and the MASS of options that people can take all throughout their levelling, automated levelling doesn't make sense to develop for that ruleset.
5E is much easier as the choices are Limited to around 2 per (base) class. The class itself, and the subclass at level 1 or 3. Everything else is pretty much set.

rob2e
July 30th, 2017, 04:42
Pretty sure only 5e has that automation. It's the same throughout the other rulesets for the most part. 5e is officially licensed, so it behooves Smiteworks to make the content that they can sell. For PF, they only just recently got official support, and with the MASS of options out there, and the MASS of options that people can take all throughout their levelling, automated levelling doesn't make sense to develop for that ruleset.
5E is much easier as the choices are Limited to around 2 per (base) class. The class itself, and the subclass at level 1 or 3. Everything else is pretty much set.

Ah, ok thanX Spite. I am converting a module to 5E that also has a Pathfinder version. I figured I might try to convert both simultaneously so I can learn PF (conversions). So I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2017, 06:47
Drag/drop from the OGL module doesn't have any automation.

There is baseline drag/drop automation for classes and races in the official Paizo modules.

rob2e
July 30th, 2017, 07:24
Drag/drop from the OGL module doesn't have any automation.

There is baseline drag/drop automation for classes and races in the official Paizo modules.

Does that populate everything like attribute score increases and skill proficiencies, etc? Or does it just put in text like what happens in the PFRPG Basic Rules?

Trenloe
July 30th, 2017, 07:37
I recommend you watch the video on the product page to get an idea of what you get. Product page for the Pathfinder Core Rules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=PZOSMWPZO1110FG

rob2e
July 30th, 2017, 08:49
I recommend you watch the video on the product page to get an idea of what you get. Product page for the Pathfinder Core Rules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=PZOSMWPZO1110FG

Yeah, so it seems the Pathfinder Basic (SRD) does NOT automate, whereas the Purchased Core Rulebook DOES automate. Is there a reason for that omission? In 5E the Core PHB and the SRD both automate.

Nickademus
July 30th, 2017, 10:12
They didn't feel like rewriting the SRD modules.