PDA

View Full Version : ABout STEAM/FG running in MAC/WIN/Linux

AStockler
July 29th, 2017, 19:52
Hi there,

After looking several threads in the forum, I still have doubts on my topics and I decided to share here before emailing the support.

Anyway, here is what is bothering me

I don't play "digital" games. I play, weekly, DnD the old fashion way with the hard copy of PHB/MM/DM guide/Volo's Manual and the chard copy of campaigns, a group of friends, battle maps, etc.

However, by recommendation of another friend, I decided to check on STEAM and I bought the standard subscription recently for DnD pack.
I use MAC and it seems STEAM works nicely on that platform. I installed it in my iMac and some days after I bought FG.

I knew that within the Standard subscription I would have only the basics for DnD and I would have to buy the modules for the adventures/campaigns.

My disappointment started when I tried to create a Human War Cleric and I realized that domain is not available in the DD5E SRD Data library. I have to buy the DD Complet Core Classs Pack to create my War Cleric character. OKay, I can take that.

So, I decided to check on the Core Pack and it seems that it is only available for WINDOWS.

My friend who recommended FG/STEAM to me said that I don't need to buy the pack because once I join an adventure from a DM, he/she can release the contents for me and I can create my war cleric.

I searched for more info and I found that you can't save your character offline, you have access to it only when the DM is on share mode with you.

Maybe I am "naive" or techy dummy for the digital version of the game, but although the software and SmiteWorks did a great job on the program, and I mean it, because I am happy so far with what I have tested I have these problems:

STEAM runs on MAC. I thoght that by installing it I would play using their service by paying extra by the contents/adventures from SmiteWorks using bothering which platform I was using, whether, WIN/MAC/Linux. Now if I want to play and adventure I have to play it on a WIN. Should I a WIN PC just because of that? (UNBELIEVABLE)
I will never have my character when created inside an adventure hosted by a DM, if I don't have the Core Class Pack. That is very unfair. In real world, when I am playing an adventures, I have my character sheet with me, or at least a copy of it. The other one can stay with the DM.

I would like to share with all of you my deep disappointment with the way the "digital version" of DnD works (maybe with the release of new DDB things will be different); it seems that the old way it is still easier to handle the game even if does not bring all graphic resources and support.

Does anybody have a suggestion other than: I should buy a PC to play the adventures and to have the access to the Core Class Pack?

Thanks everybody for the attention.

Sincerely,

AStockler.

Andraax
July 29th, 2017, 20:16
What makes you think it's only available for Windows? From the FG store description for the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack":

Requirements: This content requires an active license to download and use.

Doesn't say anything about Windows.

BTW, if you just want the stuff to build a cleric, you can also purchase the "D&D Character Customization Pack" and the "D&D Cleric Class Pack" to save some money. If you are going to be building characters other than clerics, it might be cheaper to buy the complete pack.

Also, if you don't want to spend *any* more money, if you have the books, you can just enter everything you need by hand. These packs are just to save you data entry time.

LordEntrails
July 29th, 2017, 20:17
Welcome to the forums :)

I think you've gotten some misinformation. I don't know all the answers, but I will jump in with what I do know and what I believe.

I knew that within the Standard subscription I would have only the basics for DnD and I would have to buy the modules for the adventures/campaigns.
The standard license includes the mechanics for 5E (ruleset in FG language). This means that it has a character sheet and knows how die are rolled, how attacks are resolved, etc. It also includes both the 5E SRD and the Basic Rules. Both of which have a lot of the info from the PHB, but (as you know) not all of it.

My disappointment started when I tried to create a Human War Cleric and I realized that domain is not available in the DD5E SRD Data library. I have to buy the DD Complet Core Classs Pack to create my War Cleric character. OKay, I can take that.
Actually, you don't have to. You have 3 options;
1) Enter the data manually by typing in the appropriate info from your hardcopy of the PHB. You can still create all the effects and automation, you just have to type in the text and can just drag and drop the class and domain.
2) You can buy the Cleric Class Pack, which will give you just the cleric class and info
3) The Complete Core Class Pack, which includes all of the info from the PHB.

So, I decided to check on the Core Pack and it seems that it is only available for WINDOWS.
Don't know why you think that. The only requirement for the CCP is "Requirements: This content requires an active license to download and use."

You will have to link your Steam Account in the FG settings window and check the checkbox for Steam. But otherwise you will be fine. I do remember once upon a time that their was an issue with Mac users and DLC, but that's no longer a restriction.

My friend who recommended FG/STEAM to me said that I don't need to buy the pack because once I join an adventure from a DM, he/she can release the contents for me and I can create my war cleric.
Assuming the DM has the CCP (PHB) then yes, he can share it to you.

I searched for more info and I found that you can't save your character offline, you have access to it only when the DM is on share mode with you.

Not exactly true. You have access to your character when you are not connected to your DM, with limits. You can not directly edit the character because it is now controlled/owned by the DM and the DM may not want you to make changes without their knowledge. But, you can export the character from the campaign, import it into your Manage Characters, edit it as you wish. Then you will have to have the DM delete your character from the campaign and you will have to bring your PC back in.

I might have a few of those steps out of order or not quite 100%, but I do know you can do it approximately as I described.

Maybe I am "naive" or techy dummy for the digital version of the game, but although the software and SmiteWorks did a great job on the program, and I mean it, because I am happy so far with what I have tested I have these problems:

STEAM runs on MAC. I thoght that by installing it I would play using their service by paying extra by the contents/adventures from SmiteWorks using bothering which platform I was using, whether, WIN/MAC/Linux. Now if I want to play and adventure I have to play it on a WIN. Should I a WIN PC just because of that? (UNBELIEVABLE)
I will never have my character when created inside an adventure hosted by a DM, if I don't have the Core Class Pack. That is very unfair. In real world, when I am playing an adventures, I have my character sheet with me, or at least a copy of it. The other one can stay with the DM.

1. You do not need to use Windows to have the full capabilities. Running on a Mac or Linux uses an emulator, so their are a few things you have to do differently (like maximizing the screen and launching a second instance) but the play capabilities are the same.you can still
2. You can create your characters how you want (in Manage Characters), but once you add them to a campaign, they will then be owned by the DM. Yes this is a little different than paper character sheets, but as described above, I think you can still do what you want.

I would like to share with all of you my deep disappointment with the way the "digital version" of DnD works (maybe with the release of new DDB things will be different); it seems that the old way it is still easier to handle the game even if does not bring all graphic resources and support.

Does anybody have a suggestion other than: I should buy a PC to play the adventures and to have the access to the Core Class Pack?

I would suggest that you take another look. Possible with some help from someone as I don't think your impression is accurate. Check out the Discord or TeamSpeak servers to see if someone can answer your questions real time.

Let us know how else we can help. Someone will always be willing to help anyone who asks nicely :)

Andraax
July 29th, 2017, 20:17
Oh, and once you build your character within a GM's campaign, you can save it to XML locally and import it into another campaign later.

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2017, 20:29
Hi AStockler and welcome to FG.

Firstly all content including the Core Class Pack is available to the MAC. It was the case that until a few weeks ago you would have needed to buy it from Smiteworks direct rather than from Steam, however that is no longer the case. Now all you need to do is synchronise you Steam account with your Smiteworks account and any DLC that you buy from either Steam of Smiteworks will be available to your account whether you are on a mac or a PC.

Characters created in a campaign are 'owned' by the DM. However your DM can export the character and can send you a copy of it which you can then import into the 'Manage Character' side of FG.

Moon Wizard
July 29th, 2017, 20:30
I believe that part of the misinformation is that Mac users could not buy DLC through Steam until recently. They could always buy through the FG web store.

We changed the method we use to link to Steam (i.e. Link Steam account to FG account) partly in order to support Mac users.

I'm not sure if all the DLC requirements have been updated on Steam.

Apologies for any confusion.

Regards,
JPG

AStockler
July 29th, 2017, 21:51
Hey Friends, LorEntrails,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. Yes, you are right when creating a character I can enter manually the info from the PHB (or Volo's Manual for other races). I will try for the War Domain Cleric and I will export it (XML file).

Let's see how far I go. Anyway, I will probably buy the contents/adventures later.

Thanks again,

Sincerely,
AStockler.

LordEntrails
July 29th, 2017, 21:55
Glad it helped. Let us know as you encounter other questions. Have fun and enjoy!

Trenloe
July 30th, 2017, 06:55
Characters created in a campaign are 'owned' by the DM. However your DM can export the character and can send you a copy of it which you can then import into the 'Manage Character' side of FG.
This is one way to do it. But you don't have to rely on your GM exporting and sending you your character. You always have access to your PC through "Manage Characters" on the computer where you were connected to the GMs campaign. Just load up Manage Characters and select the campaign name from the list of cached campaigns. You can then export the character data and reload it into your own campaign or Manage Characters in ruleset mode.