PDA

View Full Version : Creating Campaign

hpdonat
July 29th, 2017, 02:46
I'm in the process of developing a campaign, using "The Lost Mine" module, for our upcoming Monday night game. I have been engaged in this for quite some time now, and my problem is that with all the resources out there is there one that is considered as the model tutorial, and does this one have detailed step-by-step instructions on setting up and running a prefabbed game like "The Lost Mine"?

Trenloe
July 29th, 2017, 03:38
The Lost Mine of Phandelver was pretty much setup as an introductory campaign to ease new DMs and Players into running a campaign in 5E.

There is no real "model tutorial" as each group (both DM and players) can have different styles and requirements. My advice to you is jump in and play so that you learn the group dynamics, what you enjoy in game, what you don't enjoy, how your players react, etc., etc..

Maybe even just have a couple of test sessions with the pregens that come with LMoP and see how you all go. Don't be afraid to change things in the first few sessions (such as player characters if a player wants to play something different) as you all adapt to your group, playing together and the DM running the game. There's certainly something to be said about preparation, but if you're struggling with that (as it sounds you are) my recommendation is to get in and play, LMoP comes with most of what you need to get started - pregens, adventures, backgrounds, etc..

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2017, 03:38
I know of no such tutorial. What kind of things do you want to know? Lost Mines is a fairly complete adventure as it is.

hpdonat
July 29th, 2017, 03:57
Being new to this I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly and efficiently. I chose the lost mine because it is an introductory, so I guess I'll take trenole's advice, and just jump in. thanks though

LordEntrails
July 29th, 2017, 04:05
Yea, just jump in. Don't try to use all FG functionality. I'd just start with the character sheets, combat tracker and map. Worry about effects and the more advanced automation later on.

After your first session (or session zero) just pop in and ask us questions on what things you struggled with or were unsure of etc.

You can also watch some of the Twitch streams or YouTube videos of others playing, and you'll see some of different things people do etc.

Nickademus
July 29th, 2017, 04:50
Being new to this I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly and efficiently.

If your players are having fun, then you are doing it correctly and efficiently.

That said, different players will have different tastes even as far as FG goes. Some might like to use a feature while others don't. Keep open communication with your players and endeavor to learn the aspects of FG that they say they like. That way you aren't wasting your time on things that won't add to the enjoyment of the session.

Topdecker
July 29th, 2017, 05:16
When I was learning FG, I found it very useful to run a second instance of FG and to connect to the host. You do this by first launching your campaign and then starting another copy of FG and connecting to "localhost" - this lets you setup a few PCs and then practice a few combats until you feel comfortable with using the interface.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2017, 05:18
Yea, just jump in. Don't try to use all FG functionality. I'd just start with the character sheets, combat tracker and map. Worry about effects and the more advanced automation later on.
Yep, this is another key aspect of getting started. When I first used FG, even though I'm a fairly experienced GM, I didn't even think about using effects until around session 5. The main things for me were to just get some gaming done with like minded people, and I only started to look at more advanced features and automation once we'd got used to the basics of FG and knew what we needed/wanted from the VTT functionality. As Nickademus says, get feedback from your players and be open minded. There'll also probably be some frustration - not knowing what FG can/can't do, etc. and so taking small steps in your first few sessions is vital to keep frustrations to a minimum, enjoying the game and slowly learning what aspects of FG you want to use in your game. Try not to get flustered while playing - ask your players if they know how to do something and take your time if you need to read up on something, you don't have to have everything at your fingertips or know every minute detail of the adventure - take five every now and then. And, to help reduce frustration, come to the forums and ask questions, we occasionally give good advice (occasionally)... :)

hpdonat
July 29th, 2017, 17:56
Sounds good. I do think you guys give great advice, and I am so glad to be apart of this community. Thanks for everything

Griogre
July 30th, 2017, 03:30
One other thing you can do that may help you is ask to sit in a watch someones 5E game and just observe to see how they do it. Most people don't mind an observer and it will get you a sense what the player's see.