PDA

View Full Version : Shaintar Question

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 18:41
I was making a Sorcerer in Shaintar last night and I found something a little confusing. There is an edge called Arcane Background (Sorcery) and an edge called Sorcerer or Sorcery (Can't remember which) and of course a skill called Sorcery.

The two edges seem almost the same thing. I looked at a Sorcerer Archetype and it only had the Sorcery edge, not the arcane background. Are you supposed to have both of them or what? Confused....

Talyn
July 27th, 2017, 19:05
Don't forget the Sorcery skill! :)

Sorcerers have an inherent understanding of the Patterns and develop the ability to tap into the Aether to alter reality in specific ways. Most strive to learn even more, achieving the titles of mage, or even archmage. However, even a raw, untrained, sorcerer can be quite dangerous. On becoming a sorcerer, the character immediately gains the Arcane Background (Magic) Edge, although the sorcerer’s Arcane Skill is called Sorcery. Sorcerers begin with three powers, called Principles, and a base pool of ten Essence. Any sorcerer with a Smarts of d10 or greater gains the cantrips power for free. Sorcerers also have “Aura Sense;” they are able to detect arcana at will, using their Spirit. A Knowledge (Magic) check is required to identify what type of magic is at work, and a raise will tell what power is in effect (if any). Sorcerers gain a +2 to identify powers of sorcery.

Looks like @Atrill simply created an Arcane Background (Sorcery) to make it easy for players and GM to keep track of on the character sheet.

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 20:21
So are you saying the Arcane Background (Sorcery) edge is what you get in place of Arcane Background (Magic) when they select the Sorcerer edge?

"On becoming a sorcerer, the character immediately gains the Arcane Background (Magic) Edge, although the sorcerer’s Arcane Skill is called Sorcery."

I have the Sorcery skill.

Thanks!

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 20:24
Shaintar is a really well done FG conversion btw. Right up there with the Beasts and Barbarians conversion.

Talyn
July 27th, 2017, 20:26
Shaintar is a really well done FG conversion btw. Right up there with the Beasts and Barbarians conversion.

Yes, Maksim did a great job on the conversion and is busy doing the rest of the Shaintar stuff right now. Gayle from Savage Mojo was raving about his FG conversion on The Wild Die podcast a few months ago, she was so happy with it.

goodmanje
July 27th, 2017, 20:47
Now I just wish they would release some descent adventure modules for Shaintar. I heard a Plot Point campaign is in the works.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2017, 22:00
I heard a Plot Point campaign is in the works.
Yep: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/764802981/shaintar-thundering-skies-rpg-campaign