PDA

View Full Version : FGU chat box text formatting...

celestian
July 25th, 2017, 17:56
Has there been any discussions on the FGU's chat box text formatting?

One thing I really would like to see is a html/table style formatting of text in the chat box. That way we can much better display output. Sometimes a string of text is just messy.

Even something as simple as font/colors if that's all we can get. It would just be great to highlight certain things like a successful save in GREEN and a failed one in RED. Same for hits/miss and skills checks.

Nickademus
July 25th, 2017, 18:36
The chat box doesn't hold text. It is a windowlist full of entries sent to the chat window. The ruleset designers set the font and color of the text being sent, so we already have the ability to set colors for certain things; you just have to make an extension to add the font definitions and designate the colors for the types of chat messages.

celestian
July 25th, 2017, 22:06
The chat box doesn't hold text. It is a windowlist full of entries sent to the chat window. The ruleset designers set the font and color of the text being sent, so we already have the ability to set colors for certain things; you just have to make an extension to add the font definitions and designate the colors for the types of chat messages.

Indeed. As I said at the minimum color/fonts. I'd prefer html/tables so I can make better looking output there.

That said, if you can point to a ruleset and/or extension that actually has varying colors in the same output I'd love to see it so I can do some tweaks while I wait for FGU.

Andraax
July 26th, 2017, 00:44
That said, if you can point to a ruleset and/or extension that actually has varying colors in the same output I'd love to see it so I can do some tweaks while I wait for FGU.

Any CoreRPG based output will output different colors (using OOC chat) and different fonts (using the languages feature).

Trenloe
July 26th, 2017, 00:47
I think what @celestian is asking for here is varying colours "in the same output" - which I'm assuming means on the same line in the chat window. Which you can't currently do.

It would just be great to highlight certain things like a successful save in GREEN and a failed one in RED. Same for hits/miss and skills checks.
Yeah, this can't be done (short of changing the colour of the whole line). A lot of the rulesets will use the addition of an icon with the chat output to show hit/miss etc..

celestian
July 26th, 2017, 00:55
Indeed. As I said at the minimum color/fonts. I'd prefer html/tables so I can make better looking output there.

Any CoreRPG based output will output different colors (using OOC chat) and different fonts (using the languages feature).

Both of those are useful but what im wanting is to have Text like

[ATTACK(M)][SWORD][AC:3][HIT]

Making the entire line red I guess is an option and I'll see if I can make use of it but... it's not my first choice ;(

This is kinda what im talking about for my FGU request. Mind you this is lame, there are much better ways to do this but it's what I have I can show. You get the idea.

https://i.imgur.com/w7MyjqD.png

https://i.imgur.com/eSM6BCo.png

Trenloe
July 26th, 2017, 01:00
Yep, I know exactly what you're asking for. It can't be done currently.

Click this link: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ ;)

Nickademus
July 26th, 2017, 04:23
Seems it would be easier to use colored dice instead of colored text.