PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Issues

Jankin
July 25th, 2017, 15:33
Right before I get to my issue, yes I know there is loads of threads about this, but none of them solve my issue due to they all say the same thing, I have already done said methods.

I can't host a campaign at all, I'm trying to teach my brother to make characters, then show him the combat etc etc

I have port Forwarding 1802, I have ran canyouseeme.org and got this Success: I can see your service on <ip> on port (1802)

I have allowed Fantasy Grounds to be accepted by my AV and firewalls, even turned them off to see if there was a issue, still not working, now when I test my connection its just stuck on "In progress"

This is frustrating and its making me consider using this game or not, spending 6 hours just to get this to work, also I have considered using a VPN but don't want to use Hamaichi since that requires all your players to have it, nor do I want to use TorVPN since its useless.

but I would rather get this working without using a VPN.

thanks!

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2017, 15:38
Is your network using IPv4 or IPv6?

FG does not support IPv6 and requires IPv4. A VPN solution can give you an IPv4 address if you are on a IPv6 network.

Also, is your brother on your same network or is he trying to connect across the internet?

Jankin
July 25th, 2017, 15:42
my provider can use both, by default it will use v4, also no we don't use the same network, 400 miles away from each other

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 15:55
I have port Forwarding 1802, I have ran canyouseeme.org and got this Success: I can see your service on <ip> on port (1802)
Just to double check things: Carry out this check without FG running - it should fail. Then start Fantasy Grounds and load a campaign fully - to the point where you'd be waiting for a player to connect. Check port 1802 again on canyouseeme.org - does it show that it can see port 1802?

Second thing to check - login to your Internet router and check the WAN IP Address - is it the same as that reported by canyouseeme.org? Then start FG and on the load campaign screen click the external address field - is the IP address reported the same as your WAN IP on your Internet router?

Thirdly - is your brother trying to connect using the alias or your external IP address?

Jankin
July 25th, 2017, 16:22
I have, my check is stuck on in progress, also as I said my brother isnt on my network and he isn't the one having the issue.

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 16:48
I have
Not sure what you're replying to here. Could you give me some feedback on my questions/checks in post #4 please? I'm trying to help, but I need more feedback.

my check is stuck on in progress
Sorry, it was unclear as to what your exact issue is. Assuming this is your current issue:

This might be caused by the second issue I mentioned in post #4. There have been some cases where the actual WAN IP of your router is not being reported correctly to products like FG (and canyouseeme.org) and so the connection test won't work properly. However, if canyouseeme.org reports that port 1802 is not available when FG is not running, but reports that it is when your FG has loaded up and a campaign is running then you don't need to worry about running the connection test. So please try the following and let us know what the two results are:

Carry out this check without FG running - it should fail. Then start Fantasy Grounds and load a campaign fully - to the point where you'd be waiting for a player to connect. Check port 1802 again on canyouseeme.org - does it show that it can see port 1802?

Jankin
July 25th, 2017, 17:15
I understand that your trying to help but my first post answered everything you have suggested basically, as I said in my first post, port 1802 is open, all my AV/Firewall is allowing FG to run/not blocking it, my issue is, FG is stuck on in progress when checking, my first post gave all the required information.

Edit: I don't mean to be rude but looks like you didn't read my first post at all. :/

My first post

Right before I get to my issue, yes I know there is loads of threads about this, but none of them solve my issue due to they all say the same thing, I have already done said methods.

I can't host a campaign at all, I'm trying to teach my brother to make characters, then show him the combat etc etc

I have allowed Fantasy Grounds to be accepted by my AV and firewalls, even turned them off to see if there was a issue, still not working, now when I test my connection its just stuck on "In progress"

This is frustrating and its making me consider using this game or not, spending 6 hours just to get this to work, also I have considered using a VPN but don't want to use Hamaichi since that requires all your players to have it, nor do I want to use TorVPN since its useless.

but I would rather get this working without using a VPN.

thanks!

This is your test run button *Image below*, it tells you if it fails or not, my issue is its stuck on "In Progress" and its been in-progress for nearly over a hour.

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2017, 17:33
I can pretty much guarantee Trenloe read you first post. He's one of our best community devs and is very thorough when helping people.

Even though you said you did everything, it doesn't tell us everything. Besides the issue (which can be seen in numerous times in similar threads) where people think they have done something and missed a step or whatever, I can speculate that the reason Trenloe really wants you to do as he asks is;

If you test canyousee.org with FG NOT running and it returns a result that it can see you. Then that tells us you have another application/service running on your network that is using port 1802. I did not gather from your first post or anyone since that you have done this test.

This is critical because if you do have something else using port 1802, then your connection tests will fail and FG will not work (until the issue is fixed).

So, can you please take the minute or two and run the tests for us? Thanks :)

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 17:51
I understand that your trying to help but my first post answered everything you have suggested basically, as I said in my first post, port 1802 is open, all my AV/Firewall is allowing FG to run/not blocking it, my issue is, FG is stuck on in progress when checking, my first post gave all the required information.

Edit: I don't mean to be rude but looks like you didn't read my first post at all. :/
I absolutely did read your first post.

What I picked up on was this: "I have port Forwarding 1802, I have ran canyouseeme.org and got this Success: I can see your service on <ip> on port (1802)" Which means that something is listening on port 1802 on your network. You didn't mention what state FG was in when you ran this test, so it might not be FG that is listening on post 1802. If FG was not fully running with a campaign loaded waiting for players to connect then FG would not be listening on port 1802 and, as LordEntrails mentions, this would mean something else is listening on that port and will cause you issues with FG. Hence why I asked the same question twice regarding doing two specific checks with canyouseeme.org - one without FG running and one with FG running as GM with a campaign fully loaded.

I also mentioned "if canyouseeme.org reports that port 1802 is not available when FG is not running, but reports that it is when your FG has loaded up and a campaign is running then you don't need to worry about running the connection test" - so we may be able to get you working without being concerned about the connection test showing "In Progress" at this stage.

Please do the two quick checks with canyouseeme.org and let us know the results.

Jankin
July 25th, 2017, 19:21
I'm done for now, thats 10 hours I've been trying to get this working now, even trying VPN's, if I can't get this working in a few days going to contact FG themselfs because this shouldn't even be going on and is making me reconsider using their program.

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 19:50
Sorry you're having such terrible issues.

A few things to try, sorry if you've tried these already - do these in the following order, even if the connection test is failing/stuck on In Progress:

1) With FG running as a GM and waiting for a player to connect, launch a second instance of Fantasy Grounds on the same computer and "Join Game" with an address of localhost Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36957-Playing-At-Home-Including-Fantasy-Grounds&p=323935&viewfull=1#post323935 Does this connect OK? Does the GM instance see "Player Connected" (or similar) in the chat window? If this fails, then there is something on the local computer blocking communication.

2) If you have another computer in the house, install FG on that computer but don't enter your license key - keep it in demo mode (it's just quicker this way). Try to connect to your GM instance using the internal IP address (probably something like 192.168.xx.yy). If this works then great - the external issue is more than likely to do with your router setup or Internet architecture in general. If this fails, then it's more than likely an issue with the GM computer's network security blocking the communications.

3) If #1 and #2 work, but you can't get an external connection working. Try:

a - Rebooting your Internet router/modem. If you have multiple devices, reboot them all.

b - From a command prompt on your GM computer type tracert 8.8.8.8 Report the findings in the forum please. If the first two (or more) hops are internal IP addresses rather than public Internet IP addresses then there are multiple devices between your GM computer and the Internet - these might be your own, or your ISP may be sharing Internet IP addresses with multiple customers. If the former (you have multiple devices) then you'll need to forward TCP port 1802 from one device to the next - daisy chain the forwarding together from your Internet facing device, through the internal devices, to your GM computer. If the latter (ISP sharing your Internet IP address) then you can try contacting your ISP and getting a non-shared IP address (will probably cost you more) or you can look at a VPN connection.

c - If you just have one internal device between your GM computer and the Internet (as shown by #3b) then try removing the port forwarding you've done. Reboot the router. Add port forwarding again for TCP port 1802 to the IP address of your GM computer - double check the GM computer's IP address hasn't changed after rebooting the router. Don't just rely on the FG connection test, do a check with canyouseeme.org when your GM instance is fully running waiting for a player to connect.

Let us know how you get on.

Jankin
July 26th, 2017, 18:25
I figured out what was causing my issues
my remote management was turned on and it was using port 1802....>_>

Trenloe
July 26th, 2017, 18:29
I figured out what was causing my issues
my remote management was turned on and it was using port 1802....>_>
This was why, after reading your first post, I kept asking you to give feedback on canyouseeme.org with and without FG running. Glad you got it sorted out. :)