PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Applying combat maneuvers automatically on successful hit

Drew Funderburk
July 25th, 2017, 12:57
I've scoured the interwebs and I'm not sure if I've just not asked the right questions or if nobody's answered it because it's obvious and I'm just a troglodyte. Is it possible to create a weapon that functions as a combat maneuver and applies a status effect to the target if it succeeds?

I know you can change the type of a weapon from melee/ranged to combat maneuver so that it rolls against CMD instead of AC, but what I would like to do is have that apply status effects automatically (e.g. make a combat maneuver "weapon" called grapple that applies the grappled effect to the player's target so that our handy dandy maneuver master can fight without me dragging status effects around like a madman).

Again, not sure if I've just somehow missed it or it's super obvious and I'm just a scrub, but this would make my life as a DM soooooo much better.

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2017, 16:03
There's no way to apply damage or add effects automatically on an attack roll. There are just too many exceptions to the rules, whether through forgotten modifiers, GM fiat or reactions; so, we deliberately decoupled attack rolls from damage/effects/etc.

As an alternative, you could create a spell/power to hold the effects that can be applied by the player on a successful attack, and let them apply it when they succeed (just like they would normally roll damage).

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 16:41
Welcome to the forums Drew Funderburk

The usual way to do something like grappling is to setup a "Spell Class" but for the character actions, as Moon Wizard mentions. You can add a "spell" (don't worry about the spell terminology, it's just what the interface was originally setup for) call it Grapple and then add actions to the spell:
- Add a cast action, click the magnifying glass for this action and setup the attack as you need - set it to CMB etc..
- Add an effect action. Add the relevant conditon/modifiers as an effect. Details on effects here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Conditions You may need two effects if you need to apply one to the target and one to the PC - use Targeting = Targets or Self, respectively.

There are lots of PFS pregen character XML ready to import that community members have put together. A lot of these have actions setup similar to what we describe above. This post has a bunch, the rest of the thread have many more: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16900-Files-Pregen-Player-Characters-(FG-format)&p=212605&viewfull=1#post212605