PDA

View Full Version : D100 rolls are broken (10 should be 0)

phantomwhale
July 25th, 2017, 02:55
I think this is something I saw in BRP a long while ago - not sure if the D100 implementation is copied from there or not - but currently the "units" dice is broken.

First issue is graphical - it uses a D10 with a "10" on it, rather than a "0" - can this be fixed / altered in the underlying Fantasy Grounds engine? I really hate playing d100 games with d10's that show "10"s, it makes reading the dice really non-intuitive.

Second issue is the underlying ruleset doesn't seem to be treating the units dice as a "0" !!! So when I roll "90" and "10", rather than getting a roll of 90, I get a roll of "100" (!)

Ideally both of these could be fixed up, but I think the second one is a solid bug, whereas the first is a graphical annoyance, albeit one that I can see causing non-stop confusion every session.

E.g we ran a campaign of CoC for 18 months and had two players with "10" d10s, and even by the end, it was confusing as all heck. Especially a roll of "10" and "10" - what does that mean? Fumble? Well no, it's actually a... "10". But so unintuitive to read that.

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2017, 03:03
This is a base Fantasy Grounds uniqueness from before we bought the company.

The units die for the percentile dice goes from 1-10, and the tens dice goes from 00-90. When added together, they give the result of 1-100, which is the correct range.

It's not something that can be changed in the ruleset, since their is no 0-9 die in FG. We don't have any plans to change this prior to FGU.

Regards,
JPG

phantomwhale
July 25th, 2017, 03:06
Ah right - makes sense.

At least "10" and "10" results in "20" in this system, which is somehow less confusing.

Will endure it until FGU, I guess :)

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 03:09
Some further info on where this came from here, and a vote where there are some people (albeit a minority) who expect it to work the way it does: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-d100-percentile-die-convention