PDA

View Full Version : Can't Have Containers Have a Location and Get Items to Cluster Within the Container

Nilram the Grey
July 24th, 2017, 18:33
I've noticed that if I have a container like say a belt pouch, that I can't have the belt pouch have a location like belt and still have items whose location is listed as belt pouch cluster within the belt pouch. Is this a bug, a limitation, or am I doing something wrong? As long as I drop the location off the container things will start clustering in that container.

Trenloe
July 24th, 2017, 18:52
Which ruleset?

SirGraystone
July 24th, 2017, 19:31
Testing this with the 5e ruleset, if you start with a belt and add items with belt as location you'll have something like this

Belt
Dagger Belt
Pouch Belt

But if you add more items with Pouch as location, it won't put it below the pouch, it put all the items in the pouch where in the alphabetic list pouch would be if not in the belt

Belt
Dagger Belt
Pouch Belt
Peach
Flint Pouch
Ink Bottle Pouch
Sword

Instead of doing this, it's probably a limitation of the ruleset.

Belt
Pouch Belt
Flint Pouch

Trenloe
July 24th, 2017, 19:49
Testing this with the 5e ruleset, if you start with a belt and add items with belt as location you'll have something like this

Belt
Dagger Belt
Pouch Belt

But if you add more items with Pouch as location, it won't put it below the pouch, it put all the items in the pouch where in the alphabetic list pouch would be if not in the belt

Belt
Dagger Belt
Pouch Belt
Peach
Flint Pouch
Ink Bottle Pouch
Sword

Instead of doing this, it's probably a limitation of the ruleset.

Belt
Pouch Belt
Flint Pouch
You can't have containers within containers for the CoreRPG ruleset (and rulesets layered on top of CoreRPG, which includes 5E). FG will only recognise an item as a possible container if it is not within another valid container. Items within a valid container will have their names indented.

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2017, 19:50
You can't have a container within a container if that is what I am understanding what you want to do. You'll have to separate them out as unique containers; so belt pouch with stuff, backpack with stuff - but not backpack with stuff including a pouch with stuff.

Nilram the Grey
July 25th, 2017, 00:35
You also can't even have a location for a container because it thinks that location is a container. For example if you have a backpack with location back, you can't put anything into the backpack. It really make the concepts of containers ineffective.

And yes, I'm using the 5e ruleset.

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 00:49
You also can't even have a location for a container because it thinks that location is a container. For example if you have a backpack with location back, you can't put anything into the backpack.
Yes you can. Pay attention to the location name displayed for the container item - if you just type "b...a...c...k..." FG will auto match to another item that starts with b-a-c-k, assume it's a container and so put the backpack in the container. So you'll need to make sure that there is no item called "Back" and that you just have "Back" listed as the location for the Backpack.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19934

Nilram the Grey
July 25th, 2017, 01:16
Trenloe,

I've tried carefully to do this without success. Part of the issue might be the name of the location is getting clipped because I have a larger font loaded.

I'll test some more tonight and post my experiences.

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 01:23
I've tried carefully to do this without success. Part of the issue might be the name of the location is getting clipped because I have a larger font loaded.
As you can see from my screenshot it can be done. All I did was type "Back" and then pressed the delete key as the rest of the location had been populated with "Backpack", but only the "pack" bit was highlighted, so pressing delete removed the "pack" entry.

Nilram the Grey
July 25th, 2017, 02:41
Trenloe,

It does not work very consistently. I can find no rhyme of reason why some location names work and others don't. See these screen shots:

Pouch doesn't have a location:

Name the pouch's location "HHH" and contents disassociate:

Name the pouch's location "Test" and contents still associate:

Trenloe
July 25th, 2017, 03:02
OK, thanks for those screenshots. This is not an issue with items disassociating with their container - they still show the container "Location". The issue is with the ordering of the container. If the name of the container location begins with a letter that is earlier in the alphabet than the first letter of the container then the order breaks.

Pouch -> Location = Test works fine, because T(est) is after P(ouch) alphabetically.

Pouch -> Location HHH fails because P is after H.

I'll report this as an issue.

Nilram the Grey
July 25th, 2017, 03:34
Trenloe,

Wow, that is exactly the pattern. I missed it. I've struggled with this for some time. I should have reported it sooner. Thanks.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2017, 07:18
I reported this directly to Moon Wizard and it should be fixed in the next release. See the first item in the current test version updates here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39182-Test-Release-v3-3-2&p=348032&viewfull=1#post348032

Thanks for reporting Nilram the Grey

Nilram the Grey
July 27th, 2017, 13:28
I had to read the first line twice. Thanks! My group will really appreciate that enhancement. Of course we might be more OCD than your average gaming group. :o