PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any advice on setting up the routers/portF...with an ORBI system?

poobah_1
July 23rd, 2017, 22:29
I have my internet gateway set up and running smooth, but for my other laptops and such on the WIFI, I use an ORBI router/satellite system. My other FG laptops cannot pass a connection test.

Any suggestions?

Poobah

LordEntrails
July 23rd, 2017, 22:39
Assuming your computers going through your ORBI will be used for hosting, then you will have to setup port forwarding from your gateway to your ORBI, and from there to your hosting computer. You can only configure one computer at a time to be the host.

Your gateway is probably using automatic forwarding (uPNP?) so that's why you haven't had to do anything with it, but to use your wifi router you will probably have to manually configure the forwarding.

poobah_1
July 23rd, 2017, 22:48
Here is the way I have things set up

My default internet gateway is an Arris Cable Modem. I have that set up to port forward 1802, set to my static IP address on my local machine that I run 90% of my games. It is a desktop that I connect via ethernet to the gateway.

I have an ORBI for wifi. I have started doing the majority of my game prep and setup on a laptop connected to my wifi.

I run my desktop to my video projector in my theater room for a more immersive experience on my end.

So imagine a small laptop connecting to internet via WiFI/ORBI

and my desktop connecting directing to my gateway ARRIS

Anyway I can get both systems ORBI and ARRIS to work?

poobah

LordEntrails
July 23rd, 2017, 22:57
Sure, but only one at a time. You will have to change your port forwarding each time you change your hosting computer.

Right now you have setup A, to host using your desktop. To change to setup B you will have to change your port forwarding on your Arris to point to your ORBI, and then on your ORBII to point to your laptop.

Question for you, do you have timeout issues accessing some of the pages/screens of your Arris router? I do and tier 2 support seems to not have a clue how to resolve.

Zacchaeus
July 23rd, 2017, 23:24
You could set up the laptop to use another port I think.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=networking

poobah_1
July 23rd, 2017, 23:30
I have not had issues with timeouts on my router. I have had other issues with that router, but the one you mentioned.

LordEntrails
July 23rd, 2017, 23:57
I have not had issues with timeouts on my router. I have had other issues with that router, but the one you mentioned.
Thanks. I have trouble loading the Utilities pages and a few others. They often won't load for me.

Note that you can do as Mr. Z. mentions above, but that means your players also have to specify the port to connect on too.

Trenloe
July 24th, 2017, 01:33
Note: you only need port forwarding for the GM computer during your gaming session. @poobah_1 It's not clear from the posts here if you want to GM sessions on multiple computers or just join another session, or just do GM prep without anyone connecting.

If you want to GM from different computers then you will need to change the port forwarding, or change the extra computer to use a different port than the default of 1802. However, if you change ports, then all of the players connecting will also need to do the same for connecting to you - so it can get a little complex, especially if some of the players are a little technically challenged.

poobah_1
July 24th, 2017, 03:56
Yeah, I wanted to do game prep on my laptop, and not my gaming desktop, but every once and a while, when I am adding some new stuff ( classes, epic boons, new class features...etc) and I want some feedback, I want to be able to PM a player or two to log in and give me some feedback.

No biggy, just middling stuff to prevent me from having to switch from prep system to game system....

Thanks for the feedback.

@LordEntrails....Let me see what happens when I play with the utilities. I seem to remember something.....

LordEntrails
July 24th, 2017, 04:18
@LordEntrails....Let me see what happens when I play with the utilities. I seem to remember something.....
Thanks.
This is the page that is the most troublesome for me to load;
https://192.168.0.1/?util_status