PDA

View Full Version : Large numbers of db.session files in campaign folder

Nilram the Grey
July 23rd, 2017, 13:49
All,

I have a large number of db.session files in my campaign folder. I have two questions. Can I get FG to target a different location to write these files as they are making for a lot of clutter? Can I just delete the older ones? I think these are recovery files of some sort, but I'm not sure of that.

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
July 23rd, 2017, 14:25
They are indeed the saved files from various sessions for that campaign. It is up to you whether you delete them or not really; but if they are offending you then copy them somewhere else. Make sure you create suitably named folders otherwise you'll not know which campaign they came from. Otherwise I'd leave them alone.

Nilram the Grey
July 23rd, 2017, 14:40
Thanks. I moved them elsewhere. There was 112 of them, so it was getting annoying when I'd try to go to the folder to work on the campaign.

Zacchaeus
July 23rd, 2017, 15:53
Thanks. I moved them elsewhere. There was 112 of them, so it was getting annoying when I'd try to go to the folder to work on the campaign.

Just out of curiosity why do you need to even open that folder to work on your campaign?

Nilram the Grey
July 23rd, 2017, 16:04
On a Mac I have to open my application container and burrow down to the images folder all the time to add maps and images. It's tedious, but you can't drag and drop to FG directly.

Trenloe
July 23rd, 2017, 16:34
On a Mac I have to open my application container and burrow down to the images folder all the time to add maps and images.
Doesn't clicking the "Folder" button in the top of the Images campaign list take you straight there?

Nilram the Grey
July 23rd, 2017, 18:28
No. it takes me to the desktop. Even if it did I've never been able to drag and drop to the Wine Explorer window that pops up.

Andraax
July 23rd, 2017, 18:54
Set a bookmark directly to the images folder...

Nilram the Grey
July 23rd, 2017, 23:39
Even if I had a bookmark I still can't drag and drop. Basically it is easier to just use OSX for populating the image folder. May once Unity hits this will be tighter.

Andraax
July 24th, 2017, 00:42
Just click on the bookmark and it will take you straight to the folder, where you can drag and drop. Faster than navigating there from root.

Nickademus
July 24th, 2017, 01:25
These are one of the types of recovery files. They allow you to rollback your campaign. So you only need a couple of them, or save one when you make a major change. Nothing bad will happen if you delete them as FG uses 'db.backup.###' to recover from a crash.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2017, 03:47
Here's the details:
* db.restore.xml file is created when you launch a campaign, and removed when you shut down the campaign.
* If FG crashes and you start the campaign again, the FG client detects the previously created restore file, and renames it to db.backup.###.xml
* The FG API can be used to force a backup file to be created (usually when the database is migrated between versions by the ruleset). These files are named db.script.###.xml
* Most recently, we added an auto-backup capability that backs up your FG database each calendar day that you open the campaign. These files are named db.session.###.xml

I thought about adding an auto-cleanup feature to remove older files, but I haven't decided what that should be.
My first thought is to cleanup when the number of the db.script.###.xml andd db.session.###.xml files exceed 10, delete the oldest files that are older than 2 weeks until there are only 10. But, this hasn't been implemented, and isn't on our short list.

As long as your campaign data looks good in the UI, feel free to delete any db.script.###.xml, db.session.###.xml and db.script.###.xml files. Maybe save the most recent one to keep as a simple backup.

Regards,
JPG

Nilram the Grey
July 24th, 2017, 04:36
Thanks everyone. I think the proposal to keep the lat ten is reasonable. I also don't seem to be able to drag and drop from a Finder window to a Wine window. I'll have to play around with this a bit more.

Callum
July 24th, 2017, 11:58
I actually find it useful to have the older files available, as I sometimes want to look back and see earlier versions of the PCs. I suppose if I knew that only ten were going to be kept, I could manually move the others to a storage folder - but I bet I'd forget to do this!

Nilram the Grey
July 24th, 2017, 12:55
Callum,

I do that the opposite way. Prior to my players leveling characters up, I export them and save the previous level in a side folder.

BubaDragon
July 31st, 2017, 15:18
I also use macOS and have a collection of shortcuts in a folder on my desktop, this allows me to open my most used folders quickly.

I do have to confess though that the WINE file window and other minor usability issues, has almost driven me to Bootcamp...