PDA

View Full Version : Localhost session

lbealsjr
July 20th, 2017, 18:28
Ran into the following problem when trying to use the localhost session to drive a second "player session" to display maps on a TV using FG with an Ultimate licence.

Background:
Tested it before I left for a Con on laptop running Windows 10. Started up a new campaign. Then started a second session of FG and then used Join Game option. Called it Player's View" and for host address used localhost. Started up and moved it to the TV and it was GLORIOUS. Shut everything down and left for Con.

Get to con, start up first session of FG and load campaign. Start second session up and use Join Game option. Second session borks and throws and Licence Key Conflict error message. Grrrr. Try restarting everything and no go. No network at the Con so ended up using hand drawn maps. Lots of shaking heads as people came by specifically to look at how FG was supposed to work.

Get home and try it again and it works. So start tinkering around with and it seems that you HAVE to have a network up and running, i.e. connected to a router - a Static IP did not work; it doesn't have to be connected to the internet, before starting the second session or FG throws the Licence Key Conflict error. Guessing that without a network already established FG can't establish the localhost connection to validate that the first instance is an ultimate licence so it gives the Licence Key Conflict error instead of something useful like "No network".

Troubleshooting so far:
1. Tested it on 3 different machines and all works the same.
2. Tested with Static IP to try and force networking - same error message ( still going to play around with this )
3. Started up with network running then started up FG and then shutdown network to simulate taking laptop to non-network area - FG continued to work so that is one work around, though it is a PITA workaround since you can't minimize FG and if you have to reboot or it crashes you are screwed.
4. Started up with a network and no internet access to verify it wasn't dialing home - worked fine.
5. Trying to locate a loopback device to see if that works - pending
6. Rebuilding a VM to try and run a regular session via the VM internal network - pending.
7. Connected laptop to secondary router with no internet access - appears you just need a valid network running.

QUESTION:
Am I missing something or do you really have to either have to have a network to initiate the connection and hope you don't have to reboot or it crashes when you take it somewhere else or do I have to carry around a router and set up a fake network to get this to work?

Trenloe
July 20th, 2017, 19:00
QUESTION:
Am I missing something or do you really have to either have to have a network to initiate the connection and hope you don't have to reboot or it crashes when you take it somewhere else or do I have to carry around a router and set up a fake network to get this to work?
Yes, you need a TCP/IP network stack operational on your computer.

Try connecting with an address of 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

If this doesn't work, probably the best way to accomplish this is to install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter. Info here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708322(v=ws.10).aspx On my computer it was listed as "Microsoft KM-Test Loopback Adapter".

midas
July 20th, 2017, 22:53
Localhost/127.0.0.1 will only work if the interface that has that IP is "up". It doesn't have to be connected to the internet, it just needs to be connected to *something*.

Using the loopback adapter method that Trenlo mentioned should work (as it's virtual and you can set it to be connected or disconnected) or you could just have a 5-port hub/switch that you plug into as well. Or if you have a buddy that has a crimping tool an an RJ-45 adapter you could make your own little loopback plug: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/operational/fe-ge-loopback-plug-rj-45.html

Trenloe
July 20th, 2017, 23:56
You may also find that enabling WiFi, but not actually connecting to anything, might be enough.