PDA

View Full Version : Gifting is now enabled on the Fantasy Grounds Store

ddavison
July 19th, 2017, 17:53
I believe I have this all working out smoothly now.

In order to gift a purchase to someone, you can follow these steps:
1. Complete the purchase under your user account
2. Go to your Store > Order History page and click the Gift Order button next to an order that qualifies
3. Enter a valid username and click Confirm Gift

An email will be sent to the gift recipient letting them know that you sent them a gift. The order will disappear from your account and will be transferred to the new user.

Some qualifications:
1. Orders must be 7 days old or newer to qualify as a gift
2. Gifting will only work once for any given order. Once gifted, it can't be gifted again. No re-gifting. :)

The system should prevent you from sending it to a bad username. Many usernames are very similar, however, so please double-check that you have the right recipient before sending the gift.

dulux-oz
July 19th, 2017, 17:57
Sounds good - can the system do "gift cards" or is it only (at this stage) products?

ddavison
July 19th, 2017, 18:01
No gift cards at this time.

Zacchaeus
July 19th, 2017, 18:12
Well done Doug, gifting comes up now and again on Discord so good to know there's an option.

Wookiee420
July 20th, 2017, 05:43
This is an AWESOME idea!!! Great Work!!!
Question, How old of a product can be gifted? Does using the product yourself first negate the ability to gift it? Even if its just to open it and check out what the module contains?

Moon Wizard
July 20th, 2017, 07:13
The order has to be less than 7 days old to be gifted, and we are not enforcing whether the order is reviewed prior to gifting at this time.

Cheers,
JPG

Wookiee420
July 20th, 2017, 07:27
that's awesome!!! thank you!!!

warderbrad
July 21st, 2017, 20:03
I have a number of items already purchased via steam for 5e D&D. Things like the Classes, DMG and Monsters. I was thinking of completing the bundle and gifting the duplicates to a friend to get them started with the software. Is this allowed?

Trenloe
July 21st, 2017, 20:08
I was thinking of completing the bundle and gifting the duplicates to a friend to get them started with the software.
If you complete the bundle it will take into account products you already have and not give you duplicates.

warderbrad
July 21st, 2017, 20:20
Since I have purchased items on Steam and some on the Store here there is no one place that has a complete list. If I were to purchase it on the Store here the items I listed would be the duplicates. I know it is possible to get customer service to modify the bundle to reflect both, but if I accepted the duplicates could they be gifted?

Moon Wizard
July 21st, 2017, 20:44
There's no way to split the order for gifting, and the complete the set option does not work between stores. So, you'll need to complete the set in the store where you started buying the DLC.

Regards,
JPG

warderbrad
July 21st, 2017, 22:51
That can't work since I bought the class, dmg, monsters and OOTA from Steam and the Sword Coast guide and Volo's from the Store, so by the way you are saying this it would not be possible to finish my set with the discount.

ddavison
July 22nd, 2017, 01:44
Hello warderbrad,

It won't work to complete the set out of the box. Your situation would need special handling. Shoot an email to [email protected] and we might have some suggested options.

-Doug

Asterionaisien
July 26th, 2017, 19:47
Do you guys plan to release gift cards someday too? If yes, there is an ETA?
Thanks in advance!

ddavison
July 26th, 2017, 20:25
We don't have any plans for gift cards at this time. This was something relatively easy to implement, so I went ahead and knocked it out. Gift cards would potentially touch much more of the store and for that reason, I'm avoiding doing any major overhauls at this time.

Gwydion
September 22nd, 2017, 13:59
Awesome. I just used this! One other question. Can you consider the ability to buy a second copy of a module to gift? There are some mods I love that I already purchased and I'd like to buy a second copy to gift to friends but I don't think I can do that as the store will show I already own it. I know you have much higher priorities so if this is a big ask, I totally get it if you can't do this. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

ddavison
September 22nd, 2017, 17:28
Awesome. I just used this! One other question. Can you consider the ability to buy a second copy of a module to gift? There are some mods I love that I already purchased and I'd like to buy a second copy to gift to friends but I don't think I can do that as the store will show I already own it. I know you have much higher priorities so if this is a big ask, I totally get it if you can't do this. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

You can sometimes fake it out by finding it in the Customers also purchased section or in the Top Sellers. Those Buy buttons don't check your account for ownership. Other than that you can copy the link address from one of those and then paste it into your URL with the other product ID you want to pick up.

Gwydion
September 22nd, 2017, 17:32
Excellent! I shall try it. Thanks, Doug.

ddavison
December 7th, 2017, 19:58
Can subscriptions be gifted?

Yes, but...

Subscriptions won't show up in your order history unless they use the same email address for your forum username that you have set as the Primary Email address in PayPal. If they do, they will show up and allow the gifting option. This will stay active as long as you maintain the Recurring Payment within PayPal. There is no way to just gift a single month unless you keep it active for the duration and then cancel on the last day.

zeltordaeon
December 9th, 2017, 01:22
Can lifetime licenses be gifted?

damned
December 9th, 2017, 02:00
Can lifetime licenses be gifted?

Welcome zeltordaeon - and yes.

Niko
October 2nd, 2018, 16:07
I have tried to find an answer to this questions, without success (sorry if it's a duplicate). I have a lifetime/non-subscription licence that I use. I want to make a gift of a one month subscription for a family member who is interested in joining one of our gaming sessions to try it out. Can I do that one account? Or will that cause the same kind of problem that two monthly subscriptions does? I appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 16:16
I have tried to find an answer to this questions, without success (sorry if it's a duplicate). I have a lifetime/non-subscription licence that I use. I want to make a gift of a one month subscription for a family member who is interested in joining one of our gaming sessions to try it out. Can I do that one account? Or will that cause the same kind of problem that two monthly subscriptions does? I appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
The subscription is tied to the email address of the PayPal account used for the payment. The best way is to have the person you want to gift the subscription to setup the subscription through their own PayPal account, and you sent them the cost of the month via PayPal.

Note - If the subscription is going to be cancelled at any point, do not cancel the subscription until the end of the period - PayPal does not allow for early cancellation lasting until the end of the current period - PayPal inform SmiteWorks (the owners of Fantasy Grounds) immediately that the subscription is no longer valid and so the FG license key is cancelled.

ddavison
October 2nd, 2018, 16:44
I think you can technically check out with a subscription if the primary email on PayPal matches the email you use for your account and then gift it to another user. Paypal will continue charging you until it is cancelled, at which point the license will immediately be terminated. For simplicity, I recommend just sending money via PayPal to a friend for this situation.

rhammer2
September 2nd, 2019, 03:23
I was planning to gift a new DM with some books, but I already own all of them and when I click on the order button, it takes me to my receipt page from when I purchased them.

Is there a way around this?

- Robert

rhammer2
September 13th, 2019, 04:53
I got the answer, make sure you are logged off the forum and store before you start buying. Then when you log in during checkout, you have the items in your shopping cart and can purchase and then gift them.

I was planning to gift a new DM with some books, but I already own all of them and when I click on the order button, it takes me to my receipt page from when I purchased them.

Is there a way around this?

- Robert

ddavison
September 13th, 2019, 04:58
I got the answer, make sure you are logged off the forum and store before you start buying. Then when you log in during checkout, you have the items in your shopping cart and can purchase and then gift them.

If you search for it by name, it will show up in the Top Sellers. That section doesn’t check for existing ownership, so you can add it to your cart from there. Alternatively, you can log out, add items to your cart and then log back in for checkout.