PDA

View Full Version : [Modifiers] Two Quick Questions

TheMookNet
July 19th, 2017, 17:19
Howdy Folks!

I'm just dipping my toe into Fantasy Grounds, with GURPS being my game of choice. I'm afraid my questions may be a bit on the basic side until I get my feet under me (I did search around before posting). Two quick questions concerning the "Modifiers" list (I believe I already know the answers, just wanting to confirm there aren't some kind of workarounds I may be missing):

1) Confirm: There is no way to not have the Modifiers list alphabetized.
As a simple example, say I have modifiers for hit locations (Face, Leg, Vitals) and ranges (Close, Long, Extreme). In the modifiers list they appear jumbled together as: Close, Extreme, Face, Leg, Long, Vitals. Right now I'm using a system of prefixes to keep like modifiers together (LOC for hit locations, RNG for range, etc.) Are there other tricks for organizing the modifiers list?

2) Confirm: There is no way to have more than one Modifiers list.
GURPS has a lot of possible modifiers. I've added only the hit location and range penalties and am already nearing 50 items on the list, which means by the time I'm done there will be lots and lots of scrolling. Is there any way to have more than one Modifiers list?

Thanks all!

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2017, 17:55
1) If the modifiers list was not alphabetized, then it would be sorted by the order that the modifiers were entered. Then, the only way to re-order them would be to delete and rebuild them all every time you wanted to re-order. Your solution of adding a prefix sounds like a good solution.

2) There are not multiple modifiers lists built into the core framework. It would have to be added by someone modifying the ruleset framework code, or writing a code extension. In other frameworks, there are just quick buttons for common modifier amounts next to the buttons without any text (i.e. +2/+5 for 5E D&D), or effects built into the system to track long-running roll modifications. Again, these would be ruleset/extension modifications. You can always type any number into the modifier box before a roll, or type "/mod # description" in the chat box to add a custom roll modifier on the fly. Also, the chat command can be dragged to a hot key to save.

Regards,
JPG

TheMookNet
July 19th, 2017, 20:18
1) I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining... I just wanted to be sure there wasn't another way to go about organizing (i.e., I'm still at the beginning of setting things up, I'd rather catch things now than later to save some carpal tunnel).

2) Ah, so it is *possible* to have multiples, it just needs to be hard-coded into the ruleset. Sounds like I should poke around some of the others, see how they do things, and possibly attempt to incorporate into the ruleset I'm using.

Thanks for the replies, Moon Wizard. :cool:

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2017, 23:31
No worries. I didn't take as complaining. I just like to be very specific when answering. ;)

JPG

Dakadin
July 20th, 2017, 03:51
One other thing to consider is if you use a prefix like you have been doing then you won't need separate lists. Just use the filter (magnifying glass) field and type in the prefix so it only shows the entries you want to see at that time.

TheMookNet
July 20th, 2017, 06:02
Thanks, Dakadin. Filtering is an option, but scrolling a super long list is probably the lesser of two evils there (feels like it would be more time consuming to type LOC, choose hit location mods, type RNG, choose range mod, type... etc).

Gonna be a massive list though lol -- just off the top of my head there's about 25 hit locations, 20 ranges, 20 bonuses/penalties from combat maneuvers, 5-10 from equipment (or lack of), 5 from posture, maybe another half-dozen misc. 'fringe cases.'

Curious how other GMs of skill-driven systems with oodles of mods handle things.

Dakadin
July 21st, 2017, 05:08
One other thing to consider is the hot key bar at the bottom of the window. After you enter them in just drag the link to the hot key bar. At first that only seems like 12 places but try using different combinations of CTRL, ALT and SHIFT to get to different hot key bars. Hopefully that allows you to get to the appropriate modifiers quicker than using the list. You will just have to educate your players on how to do the same for their favorites. :)