PDA

View Full Version : Complete Roslof module, Missing Item

celestian
July 19th, 2017, 00:17
I'm not sure where to post this so will try here. Move to correct place if there is a proper spot for it.

In ROS1 (first adventure) in room #17 there is a item called "Herbalism Kit [acts as a Potion of Healing (2d4+2) with 1d4 uses]" that is missing from the parcel for the room.

Also, I received my copy of the module from his Kickstarter. Would it be possible to attach it to my account here?

Thanks!

Myrdin Potter
July 19th, 2017, 01:01
My Wednesday night crew is most of the way through the 3rd level now. Here are a few general notes:

Magic items are directly translated from AD&D. I strongly suggest tuning down the + assigned to plus 1 or you will quickly break the 5e assumptions and throw the encounters out of wack.

The new monsters do not have 5e stat blocks in the original module and attributes are straight 10's in the conversions. I have been slowly changing them to make the monsters better for 5e.

Zacchaeus
July 19th, 2017, 02:03
I don't know this module, nor who authored it. But I'll try to find out so that this can be fixed.

I'm not sure about the module linking either. If it's an FG sanctioned module then it should be already linked to your account.

Myrdin Potter
July 19th, 2017, 02:17
Rob2e is the developer.

My module is now linked to my account, so may be a matter of matching an email list.

celestian
July 19th, 2017, 03:01
My Wednesday night crew is most of the way through the 3rd level now. Here are a few general notes:

Magic items are directly translated from AD&D. I strongly suggest tuning down the + assigned to plus 1 or you will quickly break the 5e assumptions and throw the encounters out of wack.

The new monsters do not have 5e stat blocks in the original module and attributes are straight 10's in the conversions. I have been slowly changing them to make the monsters better for 5e.

Fortunately for me none of what you mentioned will bother me. ;) Hah, mostly because I'm running it AS a AD&D game using my ruleset. I'm just re-doing the parcels/encounters/npcs (really easy honestly) and the rest is already done. That's the only reason I noticed it was missing the healing deally.

Also noticed a few npcs didn't have the right weapons according to room descriptions (I think there are some kobolds that should use javalins but the 5e encounter has them using something else?).

The only thing that really concerns me are things like wights on a level 1-3 dungeon ;)

rob2e
July 19th, 2017, 20:02
I'm not sure where to post this so will try here. Move to correct place if there is a proper spot for it.

In ROS1 (first adventure) in room #17 there is a item called "Herbalism Kit [acts as a Potion of Healing (2d4+2) with 1d4 uses]" that is missing from the parcel for the room.

Also, I received my copy of the module from his Kickstarter. Would it be possible to attach it to my account here?

Thanks!

Fixed for next update.

rob2e
July 19th, 2017, 20:07

The module is a straight conversion from the PDF. 1st edition stats were not "editorialized" and stats blocks with 10s as attributes are as a result of the PDF not having such info. The author (Scott Taylor) converted his 1st edition work to 5th edition, but as the Fantasy Grounds developer, it wasn't my place to editorialize, only to make the conversion. In some cases where info was OBVIOUS I made appropriate adjustments, but in the case, for example, of monster stat blocks with no stats, I did not endeavor to guess at that and thereby just left things as standard 10s. It was my only choice in such cases.

rob2e
July 19th, 2017, 20:09
Fortunately for me none of what you mentioned will bother me. ;) Hah, mostly because I'm running it AS a AD&D game using my ruleset. I'm just re-doing the parcels/encounters/npcs (really easy honestly) and the rest is already done. That's the only reason I noticed it was missing the healing deally.

Also noticed a few npcs didn't have the right weapons according to room descriptions (I think there are some kobolds that should use javalins but the 5e encounter has them using something else?).

The only thing that really concerns me are things like wights on a level 1-3 dungeon ;)

If you find errors, please report them specifically so they can be adjusted. As for "wights on a level 1-3 dungeon", that is a story (author) thing, not a development issue. :)

Nickademus
July 19th, 2017, 20:19
"wights on a level 1-3 dungeon"

Unfortunately, I've seen this in adventures from professional developers as well.

rob2e
July 19th, 2017, 20:22
Unfortunately, I've seen this in adventures from professional developers as well.

Just don't die. Simple. Ha!

celestian
July 19th, 2017, 20:27
If you find errors, please report them specifically so they can be adjusted.

Will do. I just finished up doing my AD&D plugin for ROS1 so as I expand to the ROS2-6 I'll post anything I find here if thats ok?

As for "wights on a level 1-3 dungeon", that is a story (author) thing, not a development issue. :)

Yeah, bit harsh IMO but Imma try and run it with it in and see how it goes.

Talyn
July 19th, 2017, 20:28
If it's something like a typo or an obvious error, I certainly fix it in my DLC. I'm probably the only one who does though. But this case of what sounds like a 1E::5E conversion that didn't ship with 5E monster stats (so... what exactly was "converted" then?) no, I wouldn't take it upon myself to "fix" it. I usually take that up in an email conversation with the author, if they'll bother to talk about it.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2017, 20:36
If it's something like a typo or an obvious error, I certainly fix it in my DLC. I'm probably the only one who does though.
You're not the only one. You'll frequently see conversion notes in FG products where the developer lists what they change from the base product, and this often includes fixing of errors.

celestian
July 19th, 2017, 20:55
If it's something like a typo or an obvious error, I certainly fix it in my DLC. I'm probably the only one who does though. But this case of what sounds like a 1E::5E conversion that didn't ship with 5E monster stats (so... what exactly was "converted" then?) no, I wouldn't take it upon myself to "fix" it. I usually take that up in an email conversation with the author, if they'll bother to talk about it.

Well, my original "missing" request was just plain missing. Wasn't a 5e/AD&D issue. The conversations later did bring up that but I'm not expecting Rob or Scott to go back and re-work the module to work with a official AD&D Ruleset since there isn't one ;) Right now I'm ok with just going through and replicating the encounters/npc/loot for AD&D using my ruleset. Once done I do plan to offer the "plugin" module to Scott tho I dunno what he'll do with it. I'm only doing it for my own game use.

Myrdin Potter
July 20th, 2017, 03:34
03 16 room 11 - greater cyclops is missing the spear in description. Regular cyclops, not "greater".

Parcel has the helm as a ring and description says ring when you read it.

In general, all the monsters link to SRD only in the whole module even if the MM is open, so i am constantly swapping out tokens.

rob2e
July 20th, 2017, 03:46
C 18 room 12 - greater cyclops is missing the spear in description. Regular cyclops, not "greater".

Parcel has the helm as a ring and description says ring when you read it.

In general, all the monsters link to SRD only in the whole module even if the MM is open, so i am constantly swapping out tokens.

There is no C18 but I looked at every Room 12 and there's no mention of Cyclops. Can you screen shot that?

Myrdin Potter
July 20th, 2017, 03:49
03.16 room 11., sorry, typing this while DMing.

rob2e
July 20th, 2017, 03:51
c.16 room 11., sorry, typing this while DMing.

How dare you! I am answering this post while playing in a game with Doug Davison. HA! I'll check it.

Edit. You meant 3.16 rather than C.16 obviously. Error corrected and submitted.

Myrdin Potter
July 20th, 2017, 04:19
03.18 room 12.

You should add "corrupted" to the name of the creature in the encounter to populate the CT and for token name on the map.

celestian
July 20th, 2017, 04:22
There is no C18 but I looked at every Room 12 and there's no mention of Cyclops. Can you screen shot that?

I think he means Room 11 in ROS3. Looks like the cyclops uses a rock and not a spear.

edit: Not to be left out, I am playing right now, HAH!

Myrdin Potter
July 20th, 2017, 04:34
3.10 room 5 - site should be spelled sight.

Also, the description says 2 spiked clubs but the standard monster is populated that has two different weapons.

rob2e
July 20th, 2017, 04:43
3.10 room 5 - site should be spelled sight.

Fixed.

Also, I feel I need to reiterate that as a developer I do NOT editorialize. I make faithful recreations of the author's work. So if there are misspellings, I usually won't catch that unless it's glaring. Even still, it's not the job or the developer to editorialize the author. At least I don't THINK that's the developer's job (of other people's work). It's never come up until now.

This does bring up an interesting question though...

If a WotC module had a misspelling, would Smiteworks correct that in the FG module? I wonder if that violates TOS. I'm just curious since this issue came up. Hmmm...

Myrdin Potter
July 20th, 2017, 04:45
The straight 10's for attributes on the new monsters is annoying, but I agree that you did not make the module, only converted it. Scott needs to change that.

LordEntrails
July 20th, 2017, 05:53
This does bring up an interesting question though...

If a WotC module had a misspelling, would Smiteworks correct that in the FG module? I wonder if that violates TOS. I'm just curious since this issue came up. Hmmm...
I so the same as you, on the AAW stuff I've converted I only convert not correct. The few errors I have found I have submitted to the author and got a response in time to include the correction in the FG module.

Trenloe (?) earlier mentioned conversion notes to address such. But I too would like to know what other do and what is expected by the authors/publishers.

Myrdin Potter
July 20th, 2017, 07:18
I am taking next week off, but will keep reporting things as I find them. My group is almost finished level 3. for,those that do not know the module, it is really 6 main and 6 mini modules originally written for AD&D with a straight over conversion to 5e. Quite large, and my group has been playing for months and not even 1/2 way done.

Zacchaeus
July 20th, 2017, 08:34
Yes I do correct misspelled words in WotC products. There's only ever been two that I recall which isn't bad considering the number of words.

For 3pp products I also correct spelling as well as query with the publisher anything which is obviously wrong especially when the product started off in a different ruleset.

Trenloe
July 20th, 2017, 14:19
Trenloe (?) earlier mentioned conversion notes to address such. But I too would like to know what other do and what is expected by the authors/publishers.
My base expectation will be that the FG conversion is a faithful representation of the original product, which can operate correctly within Fantasy Grounds.

For the example discussed in this thread (Roslof Keep), the 5E stat conversions are bare bones. For example, on page 100 of the original product: 1 Verme [AC 17(head) 15(body), HD 12d12+24, HP 96, #AT 1, Hit +10 (Bite), Dam Bite 20 (2d10+10)] That's it, the minimum you need to run the creature. Any more data (such as ability scores) is a nice to have, but doesn't stop you running the creature just fine.

Beyond this, these are my thoughts on it all, based off my knowledge of many FG conversions and the RPG industry. For some conversions if there are obvious errors, and the FG converter has access to the product author, then a dialogue with the author can be opened up and glaring/obvious errors attempted to be rectified. Depending how this is approached, and how the author reacts, you might get approved changes/updates or you may not. Don't push it with an author if there is obviously no desire to update their original product, and don't spam them with minor spelling/grammatical errors - I've seen a lot of RPG authors want feedback on game breaking errors, but not spelling/grammatical errors. If you don't get approved updates, but feel that the original needs changing for the FG conversion, then make a note of it in the FG conversion and make changes where there are glaring issues or issues that need to be fixed to be able to run in FG correctly.

If a base product has issues - statblocks, confusing text flow, errors between maps and text/boxed text, etc. then it really shouldn't be up to the FG converter to fix these. But, as mentioned, if there are glaring issues, make a note of them in the FG conversion - usually as a footnote to the page/record where the change is made, and also as an itemised change entry in a "Fantasy Grounds Conversion Notes" story entry - so that all of the changes can be seen in one place.

The above is what I'd expect (IMO) of any FG converter. Some converters go above this, that's entirely up to them and/or part of the original conversion agreement.

Myrdin Potter
July 28th, 2017, 07:10
I do have one example where I did.more than what I was provided. I made tokens for the new monsters in gauntlets of spiragos that I did the 5e conversion for. Only for the ones that had artwork, but the moduoemdid not originally come with any tokens in PDF form.

Myrdin Potter
August 3rd, 2017, 04:41
level 3 room 32, undead ettin

Probably would be more true to the description if you added the zombie template.

Myrdin Potter
August 10th, 2017, 03:47
Burning Dead on level 4 have Buring attack - typo and they have an aura of falme, another typo.

rob2e
August 10th, 2017, 10:11
Burning Dead on level 4 have Buring attack - typo and they have an aura of falme, another typo.

Fixed.

Myrdin Potter
August 31st, 2017, 03:58
As a general note, items do not have a description if unidentified and they should.

rob2e
August 31st, 2017, 04:10
As a general note, items do not have a description if unidentified and they should.

I fully agree with this, however since the author did not provide those descriptions they cannot be included because as the developer and translator for Fantasy Grounds I am not in the purview of creating material only translating it.

Myrdin Potter
August 31st, 2017, 04:13
Rings can be rings and pearls can be pearls. Otherwise it gets hard as the DM to figure out what is not identified in the player list.

rob2e
August 31st, 2017, 04:15
Rings can be rings and pearls can be pearls. Otherwise it gets hard as the DM to figure out what is not identified in the player list.

Again, AGREED. But I was given directive to NOT create.

Misspellings, yes. Straight out errors, those can be fixed. Adding missing material, nope.

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2017, 11:40
I do this all the time even for WotC modules. Usually somewhere in the description of the magic item there's a line describing what the item looks like and I always include a non id name too.

Talyn
August 31st, 2017, 12:01
I fix stuff all the time in practically everything I do, because FG is a whole new medium so of course the paper designers didn't think of including a name for unidentified items, etc. If it's a (recent example) intelligent short sword +1 named "Banefoe" then I just put "short sword" for unidentified that way everyone in FG at least knows what the heck they're holding, and can choose whether to have it identified or not.

Just like at the table, you tell the players "you found a short sword" and they write "short sword" on their character sheet. They don't know anything about it yet.

We can't go creating brand-new stuff, no, but we are translating from one medium to another, and we do have permission to make account for the changes needed for the new medium.

Myrdin Potter
August 31st, 2017, 14:20
I don't really consider adding "gem" or something similar in the unidentified field as creating new content. It is already a gem. That goes as making FG work well with the original content.

I am converting a bunch of material for sale now and they have NPC names and then "commoner" as the NPC type. I will make a copy of the SRD commoner and then rename it so in encounters it is named. For spy and such I edit the NPC traits and actions to take out the generic Spy and replace with the name.

There are times the developer says "fighter 4". That is not a standard NPC but I want the people paying for the module to be able to open and use it so I take guard and "level it up" a few hit dice and maybe one ability score increase.

Little things like that make a better experience for the customer.

rob2e
August 31st, 2017, 20:26
All items have descriptions added. Resubmitting files to Smiteworks should be updated as soon as James can get to it.

Myrdin Potter
August 31st, 2017, 20:31
Thanks. My group is 4 levels down and digging hard.

Not 100% sure how the turn resistance for the skeletons on that level are supposed to work. I might have given them advantage on attempts to turn as the ability.

rob2e
August 31st, 2017, 20:36
Thanks. My group is 4 levels down and digging hard.

Not 100% sure how the turn resistance for the skeletons on that level are supposed to work. I might have given them advantage on attempts to turn as the ability.

I submitted the changes at 1230 pm today. I am interested to know how long that takes. Let me know when you get the update. Oddly, as the developer, I don't get a queued copy from Smiteworks. Maybe I'll ask James to add those to my queue. But let me know. Hope you're having fun, that mod was a S-load of work!! HA!

Myrdin Potter
August 31st, 2017, 20:42
As long as you are open to a dungeon crawl and you are Ok with editing the magic item power down to +1 or +2, it runs pretty well.

The map grids do not align well, and the white and blue style makes moving pointers a little bit of a pain. Otherwise most things run well and there is a ton of content.

I should write Scott and say any future 5e stats need to have magic tuned down and he needs at least the major attributes for new monsters. Shield master, for example, always checking vs. a 10 is not balanced.

rob2e
August 31st, 2017, 20:50
I have informed Scott of such things, but he is working off YEARS OLD first edition material. I told him that I personally felt it was important to scale things more properly for 5E rather than just directly translate (i.e. +4 weapons, etc.). But MORE PEOPLE telling him might help for the future. I would suggest you and anyone else buying his material should contact him and let him know your thoughts. He's a very nice guy and approachable.

Myrdin Potter
September 1st, 2017, 01:56
You will notice that I post what I find missing or in error on Wednesday nights which is when I am DMing. I usually jump over to a web browser, make a note here, and then jump back to DMing.

Myrdin Potter
September 14th, 2017, 05:19
4.13 Room 9 - should have a trap NPC for the fireball effect.

Myrdin Potter
September 14th, 2017, 05:32
Blue scale item has spelling error in description

rob2e
September 14th, 2017, 05:34
Blue scale item has spelling error in description

What is the error exactly?

Myrdin Potter
September 14th, 2017, 05:43
Place was spelled incorrectly in mine.

And Nalback the Nightbrand weapon has wield spelled incorrectly. Not sure if you are meant to be able to see in the magic darkness it creates.

rob2e
September 14th, 2017, 05:48
Place was spelled incorrectly in mine.

And Nalback the Nightbrand weapon has wield spelled incorrectly. Not sure if you are meant to be able to see in the magic darkness it creates.

You'll see that place is spelled correctly in mine, but I will be re-uploading it anyway as I added the Fire Trap. As far as seeing in magical darkness you'll have to refer to DMG/PHB or DM prerogative (???) for that answer.

Myrdin Potter
September 14th, 2017, 05:56
4.25 room 2 - that image in the entrance, not the room and belongs somewhere else, probably up front.

Myrdin Potter
December 7th, 2017, 23:33
First players map for 5th level is missing from images list. Can be found via story entry but there are no pins on it.

rob2e
December 14th, 2017, 21:15
First players map for 5th level is missing from images list. Can be found via story entry but there are no pins on it.

I'll have this fixed today.

Myrdin Potter
December 21st, 2017, 05:50
5.19 - giant gar have no damage.

Still no player map for level 5 that I can find in the regular list and the image you can find has no pins in it.

rob2e
December 21st, 2017, 05:56
5.19 - giant gar have no damage.

Still no player map for level 5 that I can find in the regular list and the image you can find has no pins in it.

James just pushed a fix A FEW MINUTES AGO. Check the map again after the update. The Gar damage needs a fix, but for now (until I can get the fix in) please place the letter "r" in the word piercing and that'll fix it.

Myrdin Potter
December 21st, 2017, 06:11
I did an update a few hours ago. I will do another and check the map.

There are a few other small typos and errors that I have not noted. Needs more scrubbing and I will try and put down what I see as I see it. My group is 2/3 though the 5th level now.

rob2e
December 21st, 2017, 06:13
Ya keep any errors, coming, happy to make it perfect.

Myrdin Potter
December 28th, 2017, 05:33
Room 5.20 rm 10 has the wrong image (5.8). that belongs in room 5.21 room 11 - eye of the deep.

Myrdin Potter
January 18th, 2018, 06:14
Level 6 - 6.20 - Missing one of the two NPC for the encounter - a fairly major character.

Level 6 - Beginning description of the level seems to be cut off and all the text is not there.

rob2e
January 18th, 2018, 10:05
Room 5.20 rm 10 has the wrong image (5.8). that belongs in room 5.21 room 11 - eye of the deep.

Fixed in last update

rob2e
January 18th, 2018, 10:05
Level 6 - 6.20 - Missing one of the two NPC for the encounter - a fairly major character.

Level 6 - Beginning description of the level seems to be cut off and all the text is not there.

NPC fixed. In the missing description can you be more specific please and provide the story entry number?

Myrdin Potter
March 8th, 2018, 12:51
The mad jester is marked as needs editing and several spell abilities have a ? Innfnem and do not parse. As a high level thief, maybe needs more thief abilities like backstab or stealth?

All the NPC in that sub-region need a little scrubbing.

rob2e
March 8th, 2018, 14:10
The mad jester is marked as needs editing and several spell abilities have a ? Innfnem and do not parse. As a high level thief, maybe needs more thief abilities like backstab or stealth?

All the NPC in that sub-region need a little scrubbing.

Any mechanical errors present, I will happily fix, but of course, any CONTENT comments should be directed to the author Scott Taylor who will most certainly never see this post (as he is not a member of the FG community direct)...

Axoid
March 8th, 2018, 20:03
Am I the only one that can't figure out what Roslof stands for :)

Or is it not an acronym, like PotA and CoS?

Trenloe
March 8th, 2018, 20:17
Am I the only one that can't figure out what Roslof stands for :)

Or is it not an acronym, like PotA and CoS?
It's not an acronym, it's a name.

It's this product: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=AOGFG5E9781940528304

Axoid
March 8th, 2018, 20:26
Thanks.

Myrdin Potter
March 8th, 2018, 22:25
Any mechanical errors present, I will happily fix, but of course, any CONTENT comments should be directed to the author Scott Taylor who will most certainly never see this post (as he is not a member of the FG community direct)...

They need scrubbing because they have edit notes or small typos and errors. Some of the 5e conversions are terrible as well, but the FG version does reflect what is in the module, so it is a development issue. However, NPC that have notes like "needs editing" still in the encounters should not be in the finished product.

The dragon is level 6 seems to be wildly underpowered, but again, development issue.

My group should be finishing next week and then my comments/complaints will stop. :-p

rob2e
March 8th, 2018, 23:43
They need scrubbing because they have edit notes or small typos and errors. Some of the 5e conversions are terrible as well, but the FG version does reflect what is in the module, so it is a development issue. However, NPC that have notes like "needs editing" still in the encounters should not be in the finished product.

The dragon is level 6 seems to be wildly underpowered, but again, development issue.

My group should be finishing next week and then my comments/complaints will stop. :-p

Anything that says “needs editing” should not be there. That’s my fault because as I was developing this there were things that simply didn’t convert to 5E so I had to flag them. I thought I had those all cleared (when speaker by with the author), but keep the notes coming and I will implement the changes. In my defense, this was my very first conversion. Ha!

Myrdin Potter
March 15th, 2018, 14:56
After around a year, the party has now finished the adventure and completed the last room. My group had fun, and has now transitioned to Against the Giants from Yawning Portal.

This is an old style dungeon crawl with monsters next to others that do not make the greatest sense. The basic blue and white maps are the ones that work the best.

To be truly great, it needs another 5e development pass. The new, created monsters are cool in concept but do not have the complete stat block. The writing of the module also needs some editing and restructuring to present the sub-plots better as there are no good hooks in the dungeon and a lot of the role playing are in the town which is not quite detailed enough.

So it was good for what it is.

FG conversion had a fair numbers of errors and unfinished bits. Many images were linked to the wrong rooms and a few things were missing. It is much better now as I have been posting what I find as I find it and rob2e continues to fix it. Hopefully others that run it that find issues will post as well.