PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the forge. Question if this bow is to powerful

Devistation
July 17th, 2017, 22:57
So I have been playing with the forge to create some unique weapons for my players because I don't really like giving out +1 stuff, I want to flare to it all. So I made bow last night that will be given to a player around 4th level and I was wondering if it is far to powerful, just right or under powered. I want to give it a 1d6 addition to damage when used but have limited uses (6x a day). How should I best handle that on the Actions window? Make another weapon for that damage? I don't think I can put it on the weapon directly unless I make the damage as something that hits every time.

Also will the player see the description area? I was hoping that area would be hidden till identified. If not where should that text be until it is identified.

Thoughts? It was a combination of the Flame Tongue sword and modified into a bow. But I was thinking the 2d6 damage was to high so I lowered it to 1d6.

We should really have a area on the boards to share and help create weapons from the forge. I looked around and could not find one...

I noticed some spelling errors in the screen shot already. Sorry about that.

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2017, 00:36
Create a power group for the weapon and give it 6 uses per day and create an effect in it for the extra damage. The player can then add the effect when they want to use it and tick off one use of the item.

To hide the description turn on the item identification option in options.

LordEntrails
July 18th, 2017, 02:57
IMO, anything more than a +1 weapon is above average power level for a 4th level character. That said, it's not drastically overpowered, imo. Personally I would do either the increased damage or the increased range unless you are thinking this will be the weapon of choice for the archer for some levels (maybe until ~10th).

Do note, that requiring the bonus action to activate does limit this quite a bit. I'm not familiar enough with available bonus actions for a ranger/archer, but that might make it less powerful than other bonus actions available to the character. I would look into that otherwise it might sound cool, but in reality end up being all fluff.

Dax Doomslayer
July 18th, 2017, 16:36
It's not terribly overpowered once the levels get high. I think I'd 'tier' the bonuses though and state at Level 4 you get the increased distance and at Level 7 you get the fire damage. The use of a bonus action could be a good 'balance' but typically for a bow guy, I don't think it's as big a deal vs. melee where OAs occur etc. One little nit pick is that you have a type'o for 'arrowhead' with "arrowhears". As a point of comparison, I looked at the UA Arcane Archer and they have an ability "Create Magic Arrow" that they can use x2 a short rest and does additional 2d6. Thus it gives less damage but can be used multiple times in one combat. I figured I'd mention that. Good luck and it looks like a fun item!

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2017, 17:55
The need for a bonus action is the restrainer here, since that means that the Ranger won't be able to use any of their useful spells such as Hunter's Mark. Even with the additional damage that the bow gives the character might opt to have Hunter's Mark running anyway.

Dax Doomslayer
July 18th, 2017, 18:34
I didn't see anywhere a mention of a Ranger but that is a point to consider. However, analyzing this, the 1d6 flame that the bow gives is equivalent to the Hunter's Mark damage except the bow gives flame damage vs. piercing which I think is a bit better. The only thing one gets with Hunter's Mark is advantage on Perception & Survival which is more situational and not normally an issue in most combats. In addition, while it does effect action economy somewhat, my gut feel is that the loss of a bonus action in this while a choice, isn't a major dilemma for a ranged combatant for the most part. It hurts more for someone in melee I've found. However, when one uses Hunter's Mark, it is an expenditure of a resource which I think is more precious. I like the bow actually. It's better than giving a +1 bow and it does create a few choices. By the mid-tier to higher levels, it should be fine overall. It may be a little OP initially but not crazy. That's my two cents anyway (and probably about all that it's worth - lol!!).

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2017, 19:57
Ha, sorry I just saw bow and equated it with Ranger :)

Erin Righ
July 18th, 2017, 21:23
Ha, sorry I just saw bow and equated it with Ranger :)

classist!

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2017, 21:26
classist!

Indeed, never seen another class play an archer :)

Devistation
July 19th, 2017, 02:33
Thanks everyone.. I like it. It is a bow that I hope is kept till lvl 10ish. We are doing SKT and having a little extra damage I think will be okay.

Nilram the Grey
July 21st, 2017, 01:54
I gave my party a custom "Longbow of Light". It does 1d6 radiant damage extra and radiates light from both the bow and the arrows until they make impact. The party was 5th level when they got it. It is definitely powerful, but not drastically so. Think of it as +0 to hit and +3.5 to damage. It hits less than a +1 bow and does more damage per hit. It depends what the AC of the target is as well as the attack bonuses of the weilder as to how good it is versus a +1 bow. At most of course is is maybe 2hp of damage better.

JohnD
July 21st, 2017, 02:49
The neat thing is there are so many valid standards that can be applied, that really only you can decide if something is overpowered for your campaign. One person's overpowered is another's "just right" and yet another's "way too strong".

Devistation
July 21st, 2017, 02:50
You longbow of light does the damage every attack. Or does it use charges

Nilram the Grey
July 22nd, 2017, 18:00
It does damage on every attack like a flame tongue except only 1d6. The light requires a bonus action except on the arrows themselves where it can not be suppressed.