PDA

View Full Version : A 3D Star Chart

dulux-oz
July 16th, 2017, 09:21
Hi All,

I know that Fantasy RPGs are the more popular genre both within FG and without, but one of the games I'm GM is a SF game (Star Frontiers Alpha Hawks, to be exact). Part of the "backstory" for the campaign is the Star Chart, and as it might help inspire some others I've linked it here (https://www.matthewj.black/front_star_map.htm).

Its a single JavaScript webpage hosted on my site. All measurements are in Light Years. The Chart is fully zoom-able (via mouse wheel), fully pan-able (via click-and-drag), and extra info is displayed when you hover over a star (some of the stats won't mean much to you as they are game-specific, but they deal with the star's co-ordinates and travel times (in hours), etc).

So, enjoy! And comments are welcome

Cheers

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2017, 10:36
Its a single JavaScript webpage hoisted on my site.

Where did you hoist it from :)

Nice work!

dulux-oz
July 16th, 2017, 12:08
Where did you hoist it from :)

Nice work!

So I've got dyslexic fingers

Or I actual did steal it form somewhere

Or I pulled it up from the depths of my sub-conscious

Which explanation makes you feel better?

And thanks :)

LordEntrails
July 17th, 2017, 03:21
Ooh, thanks. Nice. I've only ever seen the 2D maps from the original games, and of course the KH game map is the one I know best. Now I'm going to say, "Hey, why don't we try a shortcut here... Come on guys, what are the odds we're going to get lost... No guts, no Glory!"

dulux-oz
July 17th, 2017, 04:11
what are the odds we're going to get lost... No guts, no Glory!"

See the Astrogation: Risk Jumping skill - its quite easy to work out the odds.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Full Bleed
July 17th, 2017, 20:12
Hi All,

I know that Fantasy RPGs are the more popular genre both within FG and without, but one of the games I'm GM is a SF game (Star Frontiers Alpha Hawks, to be exact). Part of the "backstory" for the campaign is the Star Chart, and as it might help inspire some others I've linked it here (https://www.matthewj.black/front_star_map.htm).

Its a single JavaScript webpage hosted on my site. All measurements are in Light Years. The Chart is fully zoom-able (via mouse wheel), fully pan-able (via click-and-drag), and extra info is displayed when you hover over a star (some of the stats won't mean much to you as they are game-specific, but they deal with the star's co-ordinates and travel times (in hours), etc).

Cheers

Very cool. Gives things a nice, new sense of perspective.

Speaking of Star Frontiers maps, I recreated a more modern and VTT friendly 2D Zebs Frontier map about 10-11 years ago... I think it still holds up: https://starfrontiers.info/wiki/index.php/A_New_Map_for_a_New_Age

DragonsDen13
July 18th, 2017, 00:15
Hi All,

Cheers

When I look at the link, all I get is a blank white page for some reason.

LordEntrails
July 18th, 2017, 03:25
When I look at the link, all I get is a blank white page for some reason.
Try a different web browser. I suspect it uses javascript or something that might not be supported on your default browser.

dulux-oz
July 18th, 2017, 03:42
Try a different web browser. I suspect it uses javascript or something that might not be supported on your default browser.

Yes, it uses JavaScript quite heavily - that's also why it takes a few seconds to render. The underlying graphing package is js that get downloaded anly with a (relatively) large amount of data, which then needs to be acted upon by the local PC.

And if you're wondering: I couldn't get it done in any other way that was as "satisfying" with the 3D-effects, etc.

Mind you, it is completely W3C compliant, so if your browser is also W3C compliant you should have no issues (ie Firefox, IE, Edge, don't know about Chrome).

DragonsDen13
July 18th, 2017, 06:44
Yes, it uses JavaScript quite heavily - that's also why it takes a few seconds to render. The underlying graphing package is js that get downloaded anly with a (relatively) large amount of data, which then needs to be acted upon by the local PC.

And if you're wondering: I couldn't get it done in any other way that was as "satisfying" with the 3D-effects, etc.

Mind you, it is completely W3C compliant, so if your browser is also W3C compliant you should have no issues (ie Firefox, IE, Edge, don't know about Chrome).

I figured out how to get it to open with IE but my Edge (my normal browser engine) doesn't seem to open anything.

It looks extremely cool. Where was this 30 years ago when my group was playing Traveller......lol. Thanks for helping me see it.