PDA

View Full Version : New monsters!

danielpryor
January 31st, 2006, 04:26
Anyone interested? I'm starting to create some monster here and there using the .xls spreadsheet templates and macros recently posted. I'm puttin all the monsters at the END of the old template so that way they are easily seperated from what anyone else is doing on theirs, just simply copy the .xml stuff into the old monsters.xml file! Anyway, I'm starting off with some undead monsters like necrophedius, groaning spirit (lesser banshee) and banshee, etc.

If anyone is interested and needs help seperating the monsters in the xml file I can easily make an insert file for you if you get confused. Talk to ya guys later...
:)

richvalle
January 31st, 2006, 15:39
Sure! You can never have too many monsters to throw at the party. :)

rv

Ablefish
January 31st, 2006, 20:24
I was going to ask about this actually... I started an eberron ruleset, and for the monster db I've essentially just copied and altered entries. At this point I've been creating them 'within' the d20 standard list, but I was wondering - is this something that can be created as a module? So I could have a seperate file with only eberron-specific creatures in it? And turn it on when needed?

richvalle
January 31st, 2006, 21:21
Hmm, there I think we are getting into thorny copyright issues. I'm pretty sure Eberron creatures are non srd and non-shareable.

I'm sure Thore or someone can come along and let us know for sure.

So, while you can put the in for your own use, you shouldn't share it.

Hopefully any critters danielpryor is talking about ARE shareable!

rv

SurlyDwarf
January 31st, 2006, 22:40
How does one know what is SRD (and, presumably therefore, sharable)? Is there a list somewhere?

Hmm, there I think we are getting into thorny copyright issues. I'm pretty sure Eberron creatures are non srd and non-shareable.

I'm sure Thore or someone can come along and let us know for sure.

So, while you can put the in for your own use, you shouldn't share it.

Hopefully any critters danielpryor is talking about ARE shareable!

rv

danielpryor
January 31st, 2006, 22:42
If you guys own the original book and everyone is buying stuff, generating money for the publishers, who the heck cares. LOL! Don't get me started about copyright, I've heard enough this discussion on this forum already ok guys, let's stick to the issue at hand and not get side-tracked! LOL!

Anyway, I would recommend that you download the "zd20" ruleset by Zambol and use the zd20_monsters.xls file located here on the forum and then "export" the monsters using the macro in order to update your file. Make sure though that you back up your file because when it exports it will replace your monsters.xml file.

The thread about this is located here:
https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3761

kalmarjan
January 31st, 2006, 22:59
If it is for your own use; go right ahead and input these monsters.

DO NOT POST THEM HERE or ON THE INTERNET.

Chances are the links will be snagged by the moderators anyway. We would not want to be advocating piracy now, would we :)

Sandeman

richvalle
January 31st, 2006, 23:54
How does one know what is SRD (and, presumably therefore, sharable)? Is there a list somewhere?

SRD is the set of free rules WoTC released.

You can find a nice website of it here: https://www.d20srd.org/

Also, from what I understand, everything produced under the d20 license has to have some content that is free. Its up to each producer to deside what it is.

rv

Ablefish
February 1st, 2006, 02:16
Whoa whoa whoa... back up the bus. I wasn't talking about distributing anything. I'm more concerned about the best approach for 'inputing' monsters into FG. With a thought towards being able to transplant it into different campaigns or sharing between rulesets(if I ever want to make some other ruleset). Plugging stuff into XML from the rulebook is not the most fun thing in the world so I want to make sure I don't have to do anything over.

SurlyDwarf
February 1st, 2006, 04:53
Ok, this thread has been completely derailed!

I just purchased the D20 SRD--you should get a 10% commision. :rolleyes:

My question is, does everyone in a game have to have it--or any ruleset for that matter? I own a Full and a Lite client and I see that my client is downloading the ruleset now that i connected to my Full version.

Is this not distribution? Am I overthinking all this?

SRD is the set of free rules WoTC released.

You can find a nice website of it here: https://www.d20srd.org/

Also, from what I understand, everything produced under the d20 license has to have some content that is free. Its up to each producer to deside what it is.

rv

richvalle
February 1st, 2006, 11:59
Ok, this thread has been completely derailed!

I just purchased the D20 SRD--you should get a 10% commision. :rolleyes:

My question is, does everyone in a game have to have it--or any ruleset for that matter? I own a Full and a Lite client and I see that my client is downloading the ruleset now that i connected to my Full version.

If you start a campagin with the SRD rule set, clients will download it when they login for the first time. Note: its about 10 megs so it might take a while. I had all the clients log in a couple of days before the game started so they could dl the ruleset and we could go over the FG software and how to use it.

rv

richvalle
February 1st, 2006, 12:02
Whoa whoa whoa... back up the bus. I wasn't talking about distributing anything. I'm more concerned about the best approach for 'inputing' monsters into FG. With a thought towards being able to transplant it into different campaigns or sharing between rulesets(if I ever want to make some other ruleset). Plugging stuff into XML from the rulebook is not the most fun thing in the world so I want to make sure I don't have to do anything over.

Ahh, sorry. Yes, you should be able.... hmmm. Make that I THINK you can do that. Not sure if monsters put into the core xml file come over or not. I know personalities, items ect do. In fact, I'm guessing they do not.

I think putting them into the core files is best. Maybe lead them with a (Eb) or something so they all line up togehter.

rv

kalmarjan
February 1st, 2006, 17:57

As of now, it is. No matter though, veiw it as if you were at the table with your friends, and you asked to borrow the PHB. There is definately nothing wrong with that. :)

I am not saying anything to scare anyone. Any non OGL item is not to be posted for download. What happens in game is not really the concern, just that having a thousand websites giving the information in closed content books away for free is.

That said, DA and CMP are working on different rulesets, so a little patience will produce good results. Chances are that the books that you all are waiting for is awaiting approval to be converted to rulesets with FG.

Cheers,

Sandeman

danielpryor
February 2nd, 2006, 11:49
Kalmarjan, dude, I've just about had it with your tlk about copyright. If you can't contribute something valuable to this dicussion and answer the guy's question for the love of god be quiet! We are here to talk about and help each other with technical issues, ideas, etc. We are not here to sabotague FG or out to start trouble, ok! Why is it that you have to start ranting about copyright on every single freaking post that someone makes.

richvalle
February 2nd, 2006, 14:21
I think I speak for everyone here when I say STFU!

Ummm, sorry. Not me.

rv

Crusader
February 2nd, 2006, 14:52
Chill out, man!

kalmarjan
February 2nd, 2006, 15:29
Kalmarjan, dude, I've just about had it with your total BS! I'm come on! Enough of this copyright BS! If you can't contribute something valuable to this dicussion and answer the guy's question for the love of god STFU! We are here to talk about and help each other with technical issues, ideas, etc. We are not here to sabotague FG or out to start trouble, ok! Why is it that you have to start ranting about copyright on every single freaking post that someone makes. I think I speak for everyone here when I say STFU!

Seems I touched a nerve. I don't mean to offend. I want to help you all out. There has been a lot of discussion over the last year about copyright. Seems like every week we have someone new joining up in these forums and this brings the issue to a head. For a person who has all of 22 posts, I do not think you speak for everyone. :)

I understand that you are frustrated with all of this talk of copyright. It is meant to be a gentle remider to all folks what is and is not acceptable. Far more gentle than telling me to "STFU".

I am always willing to help out in the community by creating things like tokens, modules, and other fantastic things. I also obey copyright laws, because I do not want the wrath of the lawyers coming down on the fine people of smiteworks, shutting the place down. You may say that could not happen, and you may be right. You also may be wrong. I think that erring on the side of caution is the word of the day here. If the general consensus of the community is to tell me to "STFU", I can look into other avenues to spend my free time.

In the future, if you have a problem with me, I invite you to PM me, so we will not be wasting bandwidth with a message such as "STFU". I have treated all of you with respect here, I think that I deserve a little respect too. If you choose not to give it to me, fine. Your problem, not mine.

All in all, have a good day Daniel, and my advice to you is to write your post first, look it over before you hit the send button.

Cheers,

Sandeman

zambol
February 2nd, 2006, 16:46
If/when you are using ZMods_Monsters.xls to remake monster.xml please note that it doesn't work on non-ZMod d20 versions.

Reason:
-Stringvalue "ac" is divided to 2 values ,invalue "ac" and stringvalue "actext"
-intvalue "cr" is changed to, stringvalue "cr"
Corresponding changes has been made to npc&monster charsheets.

These changes might cause problems those non-Zmod rulesets.

You can go around this by modifying Export_monsters macro to create standardized monster information.
or
Start using my ruleset ;)

danielpryor
February 3rd, 2006, 20:00
Well I'm using the new full SRD ruleset now and I'm just going to type in data directly into the .xml file. I'm confortable enough now with the code so that's no problem. (As a web designer I'm used to code like .xml and .html anyway).

As far as posting the monsters on the net, if I do it will be on my own website, not here, but I'll give everyone a heads up when I do. I'm also not going to make them compatible with anything but the "full" SRD d20 ruleset, which is much better than the zd20 one.

:)