PDA

View Full Version : LFG 1 Player LF Weeknight Game Starting around 7PM Eastern, Complete Newbie

Nekrann
July 13th, 2017, 21:30
FG License: None yet. Will get any licence required (incl. Ultimate)
Time Zone: Atlantic & Mountain Time
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: I'm available Monday-Thursday 7-10PM Eastern. I would prefer 1-2 hour weekly sessions but I am willing to go up to 3 hours.
Term: I'd like to try this out, if it proves enjoyable I'd like to stay with a group long-term.
Voice: I can do voice and video and I am willing to use whatever software the group is using.

Game System Preferred: Any
Game System Experience: None other than video games. I am willing to acquire and read the literature on a system before starting.
Fantasy Grounds Experience: None, I would appreciate help in getting started.

Character Type Preferred: None yet. I think I would enjoy playing magical types.
About me: I am completely new to this, I've been interested in RPGs for as long as I could remember but there wasn't a game shop in my town growing up so no games running. I now commute across the country for work so I can't make a commitment to a local group. I recently learned of online groups and I'm very interested in trying it out, I'd like a 'lighter' group that's willing to teach a newbie and not be too serious about staying in character. I am willing to get some books and do some reading on the specific system the group I will join is using.

I have to be upfront about one thing, I will occasionally be unavailable and have to miss a session. It will only be when I am travelling and should only happen once or twice a year.

Thanks for reading this and considering me for your group.

jeffencourt
July 14th, 2017, 14:25
Hey there, you might be a good fit for our group, new players arent a big issue, its great to teach the game to new people. we'll be playing a couple times a month on monday night's we'll probably be starting between 630-7pm and run till 10-1030 i'd say. we are going to start with a published module, probably even the starter module if everyone agrees. but if you want, i have a post on here titled "LFP and DM monday night EST USA" or there about. post in there if you are interested and we should be ready to go the beginning of August. just gotta give our DM time to prepare and everyone to make a character.

JerryRig
July 14th, 2017, 15:22
We have a game running Friday evenings around 6pm EST (ya you might be a little late but we don't mind so much as your consistent). It's a pathfinder game (very much like AD&D 3.5 edition)

If you care to check it out the link for more info is HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38409-Hells-Rebels-Pathfinder-AP-looking-for-players)

I've thrown my net out to a few players looking so the the most motivated to get with me and complete a character will fill any vacancy.

I'm often on the Fantasy Grounds team speak server and can help most any time with getting you going and working nice and careful to get you going(connection info is at the link above to get connected to the FG teamspeak server). You won't need a Fantasy Ground license but you will need to download the free version as I have the ultimate license. I do encourage you down the road to support FG and buy a license when its affordable to you if you enjoy the product as mush as many of us do.

V/r ...
JerryRig

Nekrann
July 14th, 2017, 16:10
@JerryRig

Thanks for the invite!

Unfortunately, the scheduling is a bit off for me right now. I would not be available until 640-645p, I would miss 1 Friday a month and I am only available until 1000p. All considered, I don't think I'm a good fit for you based on the schedule.

I read your thread though and am very interested in playing with you in the future, I hope that a game comes up that is compatible with my schedule.

Nekrann
July 14th, 2017, 16:15
I'd like to elaborate a bit more on my schedule as I'm sure it seems like I'm very constrained.

I have a pretty unique schedule, I work 20 consecutive days (12 hour shifts) and I get 10 days off. I live across the country from my work so I commute by air.
During my work shifts, I can play for about 3 hours (~645pm Eastern to 10pm) any day of the week. Any more than that and I am cutting in to my sleep time.
On my days off, I can play any time of day but only Monday-Thursday since I need time with my wife and daughter.

I hope this explains why I am so constrained on play times and why I may have to miss the occasional day (when I am travelling).

LordBalkoth
July 14th, 2017, 19:32
If you decide you're willing to give up some sleep time, you could consider this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36575-LFP-for-Wednesday-Night-Pathfinder-Campaign-(8-EST-7-CST-5-PST)). Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many games you're going to get that only go three hours -- most try to go for 4+ hours per session.

10 PM EST is also only 7 PM PST -- so groups trying to span the country will probably be ending at 11 or midnight EST to accommodate people in MST and PST.

Nekrann
July 14th, 2017, 21:05
@LordBalkoth Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I can't give up that much sleep time when I have a 12 hour shift to look forward to in the morning.

GunnarGreybeard
July 15th, 2017, 13:32
Yeah, that's a pretty narrow window to hit for being available but there are games out there in that time frame. Just keep checking the forums and be active so if a GM has a slot open and posts you can contact them sooner rather than later. As you may have found most games fill pretty quick, depending on the system, like D&D 5e.

Nekrann
July 15th, 2017, 16:21
Yeah, that's a pretty narrow window to hit for being available but there are games out there in that time frame. Just keep checking the forums and be active so if a GM has a slot open and posts you can contact them sooner rather than later. As you may have found most games fill pretty quick, depending on the system, like D&D 5e.

I was lucky to find a group within such a tight timeframe.