PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Forgotten Realms campaign

SurlyDwarf
January 30th, 2006, 17:45
Ok, so I jumped in with both feet and a great deal of excitement and purchased a license for the full and lite version (so the wife can play, too!).

I am currently eagerly awaiting responses from two games that are soon to get underway. I have been looking around and it seems that there are fewer DMs than players. There was a suggestion that it may be due to the price of the full version.

I am currently running an in-person game and have always been a DM far more often than a player (which is why I want in for at least one of my pending games) but I am also thinking about starting a campaign.

Before I commit to working on it, because I will put a lot of time into it, I want to guage interest in a Forgotten Realms campaign.

It would start at Level 1.

I typically run games with a good mix of action, immersion, problem solving and RPing/interaction.

So, reply or PM me if you would be interested. Given enough sincere feedback, I'll start working.

The game could start as early as the end of February.

Sholari
January 30th, 2006, 18:49
Hi SurlyDwarf,
If it fitted in with GMT timezones ( I'm in the UK ), weekends would ideally suit me then you'd need a rather large giant with a big club to keep me away from a FR game.
Bye for now
Sholari

SurlyDwarf
January 30th, 2006, 19:03
I am in the CST (GMT-6) time zone but am willing to be flexible. Let's see what everyone else throws into the ring.

Hi SurlyDwarf,
If it fitted in with GMT timezones ( I'm in the UK ), weekends would ideally suit me then you'd need a rather large giant with a big club to keep me away from a FR game.
Bye for now
Sholari

festivus
January 30th, 2006, 22:48
If the day and timeslots were right I would be interested. I have often enjoyed books set in the realms, DMing modules and adventures set there, and almost never get to play as a player.

I am GMT-8 here, and have kids so my start times usually have to be past 8pm local time. Weekends (preferrably Sunday) are ok too as long as it's in the evenings and doesn't interfere with whatever my wife has planned.

Is there a particular region you were thinking of running this adventure in?

danielpryor
January 31st, 2006, 01:28
I'm in the -8 Pacific timeslot just let me know when you're avilable. The only time that is bad for me is Tues-Thurs Nights from 6pm+, otherwise I"m cool. I also LOVE the FR setting campaign and wouuld not mind starting at level one. I prefere to use 3.5 D&D d20 ruleset with the option of using any source materials that have been published from WOTC (I.e., Spell Compendium, Complete Adventurer, etc.)

MIGHTYMIKE
January 31st, 2006, 01:37
I would love to get involved with a FR game, especially on the weekends. My GMT is -4.

legend0fthefall
January 31st, 2006, 02:41
I am EST and extremely interested in joining.

TruthRevisited
January 31st, 2006, 02:49
I am in EST and also interested in playing.

TR

Aladane
February 1st, 2006, 16:23
I am in EST and weekends are best, count me in.

Aladane

Celtic_Blade
February 1st, 2006, 20:49
Hi I'm a newbie in the UK would love a game if you can fit me in. Trying to get the hang of FG is difficult if you can't get into a game.:)

SurlyDwarf
February 2nd, 2006, 03:11
Glad to see their is so much interest for my favorite setting!

By week's end, I will add the game to the calendar and post more detail on campaign information.

For now, what are people's thoughts about using the D20 SRD ruleset? Any objections?

TruthRevisited
February 2nd, 2006, 12:23
No objections here.

Are you planning on using the races of Faerun book and the various other suppliments? I only ask for background generation. I have three concepts (one of which would definatly require DM approval) and backgrounds already begun on each.

Cheers.

TR

Mandrake
February 2nd, 2006, 15:09
Hey,
I would be interested as well. Am in CST and pretty flexible. Just let me know.

festivus
February 3rd, 2006, 03:00
No opposition to d20srd ruleset (use it myself). Still fuzzy on the timeslot thing here though... guess I can wait for it to pop onto the calendar to see if it will work for me :)

Lucion Theadras
February 3rd, 2006, 09:31
I would be more than happy to join the campign if your still picking up members. I havent offically purchased the software but thats only because I'm waiting to land in a game before I do such. So if your open to PM'ing or Emailing me with the specifics of what your looking for or if you just have ideas I'm more than willing to throw some randomness at you. I've also been the DM for many of my own campigns and if you need help I can also do that. Map making is my specialty though... I think i've honestly spent more time making maps for places than actually playing in them.

SurlyDwarf
February 9th, 2006, 16:39
Ok. A little later than I had hoped but only because I have been trying to make some important decisions.

I will publish a more comprehensive document over the next few days but, for now, I will bulletize some of the more important parts:

Note that where there are restrictions, they are somewhat open to discussion with proper reasoning. Basically, sell me on why it will enhance the game for you to play a Drow.

Also note that we will create characters one-week before the first session. I will make myself available at several times for character creation. The players will have to coordinate several decisions amongst themselves before this (e.g. who gets to be non-human--see below)

* 4-6 players (only 25%-33% of which can be non-human)

* Allowed races: Human, Elf, Half-elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome and Half-Orc (as in half-human/half-orc)

* Only 1 arcane caster and 1 divine caster. Possible exceptions for bard or ranger.

* Allowed classes: All PHB except Druid (Paladins are open for now--send me your ideas)

* Starting region will be Damara (regional feats will be limited to this area. If you have a compelling preference for a different one, tell me. This decision is to ensure PC compatibility and simplify the process a bit)

* Alignments can be any non-evil and no "true neutral".

I hope no one walks away from this thinking that I am a restrictive nut rather, I want to maintain balance for the campaign. Furthermore, let me say again that very little of this--if any--is closed for discussion. If you have an idea, let's talk about it.

I am desigining the campaign to be chapter oriented. It is designed from the start to be a long-term, long-running game but, it will also have distinct "chapters" where people can leave (why would you want to?) and others may join (if a slot opens or we feel we can add more without disruption or slowing the pace).

The game is in the calendar and I have a tentative start date/game time.

I will now open the floor to questions, comments and gripes. Feel free to PM me as well.

In the event that more players sign-up that we can afford... players will be selected based on their schedule flexibility, desired race/class and backstory.

The campaign will be fast-paced, adventurous with immersive story-telling and role-playing aspects (If I pull it all off! :D )

Cheers,

Surly

festivus
February 9th, 2006, 20:52
So it looks like 6am Sunday mornings would be the timeslot where I live. I am guessing it will run more than 3 hours in length so that will put me right out as we have church at 9:30am.

Enjoy your game, it sounds really interesting.

-Fest

SurlyDwarf
February 9th, 2006, 20:54
Sorry to hear it. But, that timeslot was just me taking a stab. People should feel free to propose different times and maybe we'll find something we can live with.

So it looks like 6am Sunday mornings would be the timeslot where I live. I am guessing it will run more than 3 hours in length so that will put me right out as we have church at 9:30am.

Enjoy your game, it sounds really interesting.

-Fest

The Velvet Souljah
February 10th, 2006, 01:14
OK...after glancing at this thread another time, I realize that you had not settled on a time (so please ignore my posts in my other thread). :D

I am definitely interested in participating. Is there a particular time that people were thinking about? I am on the East Coast. Thursday and Friday nights would be good, as would be Saturday mornings.

albyn
February 10th, 2006, 03:03
Hello, added my name to the list of interested persons to your group. I'm an EST person, late afternoon to evenings are best times for me. What's the current thought of start time for the game?

Prefer wizards, just what I'm best at, but am very flexible when it comes to class selection. I'll take the role of just about anything the party needs.

Would be selecting human as my race anyway so that would be one less person to worry about giving the demi human slot to. :P Let me know!

--Albyn

SurlyDwarf
February 10th, 2006, 15:49
Would be selecting human as my race anyway so that would be one less person to worry about giving the demi human slot to. :P Let me know!

--Albyn

Great. The group looks like it's filling out. We just need people to start voting on/submitting times for the first session, at least.

then, we can accept players and begin discussing character creation. One of the projects for the players, it to work out amongst themselves their relationships. we will not role-play the meetings. Alternatively, if we wanted to role-play the meetings--I am going back and forth on this because it can be fun--each player would pick one other player to have a preexisting relationship/backstory and we can play out the meetings of two or three pairs of players--not a six-way mess.

albyn
February 11th, 2006, 03:25
Great. Hours that I'm not available are tues - fri 7am to 4pm and Saturdays 9am to 6pm EST times. Work hours :P Just throwing that out there but don't let my bizarre schedule effect anything. If I don't fit, I don't fit. That's the way it goes :D

--Albyn

SurlyDwarf
February 11th, 2006, 03:31
Ok, so to keep forward momentum, does anyone have problems with Monday or Saturday evenings?

TruthRevisited
February 11th, 2006, 12:10
In looking at my schedule, Saturday Evenings are going to be best for me. During the week is going to be just a little to difficult.

TR

The Velvet Souljah
February 11th, 2006, 22:03
Ok, so to keep forward momentum, does anyone have problems with Monday or Saturday evenings?

As a rule, I have no problems with Saturday evenings. There might, however, be an occasional Saturday evening that does not work for me. Is that fair?

albyn
February 11th, 2006, 23:19
Sat evenings should work for me just fine

SurlyDwarf
February 11th, 2006, 23:21
As a rule, I have no problems with Saturday evenings. There might, however, be an occasional Saturday evening that does not work for me. Is that fair?

It sounds like we may have our time. I intend (and hope) for this to be a fairly long-running (episodic) campaign and expect, that there will be times when the normal schedule doesn't pan out for someone. I only hope that we can anticipate them in advance and maybe even be able to schedule around them to keep pace. Sometimes, no matter what, we'll miss a week. I travel on business fairly regularly and will be doing my own part to be flexible and available. :)

There are still a few of you who have not spoken up. I'd like to start making characters in a week or so. We may be ready for those of you who know what they want to do, as early as Wednesday.

Also, look for the detailed campaign document tomorrow or Monday. I will post it shortly.

SurlyDwarf
February 14th, 2006, 03:10
We have some active players and, for those of you who haven't checked, there is a dialogue going on within the calendar that you should read. Unfortunately, announcements within the calendar do not trigger any external notifications so you need to check every so often, it seems.

If any dev-types read this let me say... wink-wink, nudge-nudge... know what i mean? :D

zapgun
February 14th, 2006, 06:24
Sounds like fun.. I've submitted an application for a Turmish Bard. Hope there's still room!

Zapgun

albyn
February 14th, 2006, 23:20
Maybe it's just me but I don't see any discussion in the calendar. Then again I don't see discussions in any of the calendars. Is there a link I'm missing? Does it have something to do with Firefox?

SurlyDwarf
February 15th, 2006, 05:31
No, it's not FireFox and it's not you, not exactly. You are still in a 'pending' status. The reason is we already have six players and two more who want in (you and another).

I wish I could say we can play with 8, but it just isn't feasible. I could not handle it and do the game credit and it would be too slow for everyone even if I could.

What we need to do is get solid confirmations from the six already in, which I am assuming we have and I am sure about four, at least.

If we can not get you or anyone else in, I will be happy to keep you on a standby list in case we lose someone. I am designing this to be a long-running campaign.

I wish I had better news but, stay tuned and see if everyone commits. We are making characters this week and next.

SurlyDwarf
February 15th, 2006, 06:13
Maybe it's just me but I don't see any discussion in the calendar. Then again I don't see discussions in any of the calendars. Is there a link I'm missing? Does it have something to do with Firefox?

Disregard my last post, Albyn, you are already accepted. I do not know why you can not see it. I will say, that Scriven One has confirmed he is playing the wizard. Sorry.

I need you and DDE to figure out what you want to play. If you play the Fighter, I need him to play the Elf Ranger--something I would prefer anyway. We need a ranger, I think. Everyone loves a ranger, right?

The Velvet Souljah
February 15th, 2006, 13:31
What we need to do is get solid confirmations from the six already in, which I am assuming we have and I am sure about four, at least.

Definitely in.

SurlyDwarf
February 15th, 2006, 18:12
Definitely in.

Glad to hear it. That makes 5 of 6 confirmed.

Just a reminder, everyone needs to review and drop their two coppers into the mug about the character creation process. As soon as we have a decision, I'll start scheduling character creations. I really need to know people's characters and their backgrounds by mid-next week. (i.e. Wednesday the 22nd.)

https://surlydwarf.com/community/viewforum.php?f=2

albyn
February 15th, 2006, 23:45
The fighter is fine with me :D

SurlyDwarf
February 21st, 2006, 19:57
If you haven't read it already, here is the link to character creation (https://www.surlydwarf.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=23). 3 have been created so far. DDE is making his tonight. Two more to go.

I am still waiting on backgrounds for several of you as well. :rolleyes:

SurlyDwarf
February 23rd, 2006, 01:31
We've got room for two more... Velvet, Albyn, Yozisan, Zapgun... first come first serve at this point. We have solid openings for a Cleric, a Bard, a Barbarian...

zapgun
February 23rd, 2006, 07:06
Great! I'm in.. I'll look into a character tomorrow (since its after midnight here now).

See you then!

Zapgun

SurlyDwarf
March 1st, 2006, 04:11
This is a bit late, but we had our first session on Saturday! Read about it here (https://surlydwarf.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=35).

I am very pleased to have such a great group and thanks, again, to TruthRevisted for helping above and beyond his normal obligations as a player.

Cheers,

SD

Ray
March 4th, 2006, 21:45
if you are still taking players i would like to play

SurlyDwarf
March 17th, 2006, 21:10
The summary (https://surlydwarf.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=51)of the second session has been published. Do not forget to confirm for the game tomorrow... we don't have a full list yet but am assuming we have a game.

Hákon Már Pétursson
March 22nd, 2006, 20:00
Yeah... I know I'm late... But, in case there is room/need for one more, please drop me a line. I usually play in FR. I don't mind what class to play, just whatever is missing. I'm in GMT +1, but I should be able to play almost any time.

SurlyDwarf
March 22nd, 2006, 22:20
Yeah... I know I'm late... But, in case there is room/need for one more, please drop me a line. I usually play in FR. I don't mind what class to play, just whatever is missing. I'm in GMT +1, but I should be able to play almost any time.
There are a few people in line before you and I have no indication that anyone will be leaving, but you can put your name in here (https://www.surlydwarf.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=33)and follow along with the campaign here (https://www.surlydwarf.com/community/viewforum.php?f=2).