PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more creative and friendly Savage Worlds DMs...

Hermundure
July 12th, 2017, 12:49
What are we looking for?

I am looking for one or a few more creative and friendly GMs for an upcomming West Marches style campaign.
My timezone is GMT +2 (Germany) but its no problem if we get people from different timezones as this would simply open up the campaign to more players.
Because the areas, quests, secrets etc. are different and mostly independant from one GM to the other, all GMs can also be players in expeditions run by someone else.

For these who dont know "West Marches" already, here is a nice place to read about it: https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

The new GMs should be:
1.) friendly and easy to understand
Have a good mic, no background distractions while playing or GMing like running TV, no strong dialect, etc.

2.) creative and proactive
I would like to run such a campaign for a long time now but my job as digital artist and a load of commissions prevents me to invest too much time in other projects besides drawing / painting.
With the amount of time I can commit to gaming right now I doubt it would be possible to hold a gaming group together and run the campaign for a longer time on my own so I am looking for self responsible GMs and players who dont need hand-holding and get active on their own behalf. Right now we have four active players who are used to keeping track of places, maintaining a map, write summaries of the expeditions by themself etc.
The experience in the SW ruleset is not important for us, the willingness to learn it is important (but dont worry, SW is really easy)

3.) is communicative and a teamworker
In a campaign with more than one GM its neccessary to talk some stuff over together and to rely on each others honest opinion and cooperation.

Which setting do we envision?

The Campaign will be situated in a dark, low magic fantasy setting.
We have cut together a teaser to get a feel for the world, although it focuses on just one hero from a place far away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukpoa44WWjA&feature=youtu.be

The mechanical and rules stuff has been hammered out already, we will be using the "Beasts & Barbarians" setting with its supplements as a base.
"B&B" expands on the "Savage Worlds Deluxe Rulebook" and the "Fantasy Compendium" nicely in covering a broad area of optional interconnected stuff, for example:

- Expanded and very thought out character creation possibilities
- Mechanics for building, leading and maintaining Warbands for both players and GMs
- Mechanics for Naval Vessels, Naval Combat, Boardings etc.
- Mechanics for crafting, setting and disarming of Traps
- Mechanics for Gladiators and arena combat, up to leading an own shool of Gladiators
- Expanded Character Types (Vanilla rules only know Extras and Wild Cards, B&B introduces 2 more types of characters)
- I weaved in rules in running and improving a Guildhall and / or settlements

How will the new GMs be integrated?:
(To not spoil to much I will have to keep a bit vague here, we can go in depth if someone is interested)

- This campaign contains different kinds of landscapes or biomes, a GM can pick the biome(s) he might be interested in (or invent new ones) and fills them with content.
- We meet, organize and play thrugh Discord and Obsidian Portal

Why did we choose "Savage Worlds" for West Marches?
- Savage Worlds is a giant toolbox with a huge amount of flexibility, it is really fast to play and GM
- Savage Worlds is fun and sometimes unpredictable thrugh the exploding dice system
- No need to HP-Grind in Combat
- Classless system - you can build pretty much any archetype you can imagine in 15 minutes
- Atmospheric Spell system (you can design your own spells out of your SW toolbox to make it fit your char concept)
- GMs can use the toolbox to design balanced new races, items, edges, hindrances, spells and so on
-> This leads to almost zero meta-discussions between turns in combat (Wizards at your level should have memorized X, you should cast Y here, it has this and that effect on Z etc...)
- A much more shallow progression curve of the characters paired with a different combat system (as DnD uses for example) makes it possible that novice characters can travel with veterans and also make an impact while the veterans can still be threatened even by weaker foes (gang up bonus, exploding dice, fatigue & wound penalty, etc.)
-> The GMs dont need to balance an encounter thrugh CR, the encounter set up work for GMs is much easier
- among with many other smaller things which makes SW stand out for us by far

How to get in contact?

Post in here and / or send a PM, we can go on from there :-)

Happy Adventuring!
Herm

Hermundure
July 14th, 2017, 21:47
A little update:
We already got two more GMs and a bunch of new players so far - one more GM and we are set ;-)

Black Hammer
July 16th, 2017, 03:15
I may be interested in DMing for this, but would have some questions for you. I'll PM you some ways to contact me if you'd care to chat.

sim181
July 18th, 2017, 00:23
I would love to be a player in this. Mostly to learn how to DM a savage worlds game on FG so I can host a weird wars Rome. I have a little exp in FG and with 5e, which is why I would like to play in a SW game.

Hermundure
July 18th, 2017, 08:49
I would love to be a player in this. Mostly to learn how to DM a savage worlds game on FG so I can host a weird wars Rome. I have a little exp in FG and with 5e, which is why I would like to play in a SW game.

Hi Sim, as West Marches style campaigns draw from a bigger player pool, its no problem to join in on this.
Our most important attributes which we are looking out for, are beeing friendly, active, socially open with fun at roleplaying.
Please look me up in Discord Hermundure#3837 and shoot me a tell, I would like to talk a bit to you about the invite :-)

P.S. If you think this would be helpful to you, we have one Main Discord Server for GMs and players of different games and dedicated campaign discord servers.
On the main server, the GMs draw their player pool out of other GMs and out of the players of the other GMs.
This way you get to play with the people you grew together with in different systems / settings and you can GM one campaign while beeing a player in X others - preventing GM burnout :-)