PDA

View Full Version : End User Error

Trancekat
July 11th, 2017, 02:07
Hi All,
A player recently gamed with me and had a slew of error occur (see attached).

I asked him to make his FG directory r/w-able, but he was still getting this error even after restarting fg.

Any ideas, please?

error: https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/215844219397341186/332709826326953986/FG_FAIL.png

LordEntrails
July 11th, 2017, 02:12
I think you are on the right track with r/w permissions. Not sure though if the cache is in the data directory or the app directory. So he should try both. You can also try having them clear their cache and then reconnect and see if that resolves it.

Trancekat
July 11th, 2017, 02:15
I had him provide r/w access (everyone, not sure if there is an fg service name to use) for the directory (and children directories) with /images.

How does one clear their fg cache, please?

Thank you!

LordEntrails
July 11th, 2017, 02:17
To clear the cache, on the Join Campaign screen their is a nuke icon in the top right corner.

The cache is not stored in the images directory, that is for the GM. The cache folder is in the FG Data / cache folder. They can find this FG Data folder by the start screen of FG clicking on the folder icon in the top right.

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2017, 02:20
It sounds like the user installed FG someplace where it can't get the correct permissions to write data with the default user.

Make sure that they use the default data location for the data directory, and then run another update:
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 11th, 2017, 02:23
"Bad Allocation" errors can also occur due to FG running out of memory. What modules are the players allowed access to?

Zacchaeus
July 11th, 2017, 02:25
You need to find out where his data directory is. Looks like he has put it somewhere where read write access can't be granted such as in a system directory or some such. He should be putting the data directory in user/AppData/roaming/fantasy grounds.

It may be that FG hasn't installed properly.

Trancekat
July 11th, 2017, 02:37
Thank you for the advice, gentlemen. I will work with my player to fix this issue with your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Trenloe
July 11th, 2017, 03:54
There's been errors like this in the past and they've been related to the player instance of FG using a lot of memory. The "Unable to save file..." error messages are a result of the issue, not the cause of it. "Exception: Bad Allocation" looks like the underlying issue here.

@Trancekat
- Check which modules have been allowed for the players (green check/tick in the GM's module activation screen). Let us know which ones you have available to the players.
- Check how many images from the campaign data are shared with the players - there will be a small (s) or (p) circular icon in the images list after all images that have been shared.
- Ask the player to clear their cache (details in an earlier post).
- What operating system is the player using? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2017, 05:15
Looking at it again, I think Trenloe is spot on. My guess is that the GM is sharing the DMG, MM or other large modules that are designed to be GM only by default. Try asking the GM to specifically block any modules other than the PHB. The GM can always share specific records as needed, and then the player can't browse through those books at will.

Regards,
JPG