PDA

View Full Version : Adding New XML Files

Morfedel
January 29th, 2006, 20:53
Well, I was working on my Arcana Evolved rules set for a private group I am planning to run a game for. So, I started out with the idea that I'd work by modifying the d20 set.

So, I copied all the files to my Arcana Evolved rules set folder, then started changing all the info for the character classes in classes.xml, when I found this line:

<linklist><link class="spelllist" recordname="bard">Bard spell list</link></linklist>[/cpde]

So, I thought, this must be how one creates that linkage nested within the windows opened by the links in the class window of the srd. So, I examined the results in the d20 set in FG, then went back and examined the spelllists.xml file.

Here is what I saw:

[code]
<node name="spells">
<node name="bard">
<stringvalue name="description" value="Bard Spells" />
<node name="spell">
<node name="dancinglights">
<stringvalue name="name" value="Dancing Lights" />
<intvalue name="level" value="0" />
<stringvalue name="shortdescription" value="Creates torches or other lights." />
</node>

etc etc

So, I thought, AHA! There it is! I wanted to start by creating a link within the Champion character class info to the subclasses that class has. So, I created a file called: ClassInfo.txt, and put in the following node:

<root>
<node name="Class_Specs">
<node name="Champion">
<stringvalue name="information" value="Champion Subclasses"/>
<node name="SubChampions">
<node name="Light">
<stringvalue name="name" value="Champion of Light"/>
<stringvalue name="shortdescription" value="Avatar for truth and justice"/>
</node>
</node>
</node>
</node>
</root>

Just adding in the champion of light to see if it would work. I hadn't done anything else, such as add any reference to this file. All I did was add it into base.xml.

As long as that reference is there, its causing FG to crash during loading, every single time. I don't see why it would, unless there is a class name conflict or something?

Or does it need to be referenced in some fashion by the rest of the xml?

I could probably eventually figure it out, by going through and reading ALL the xml, but I thought it would be a LOT faster and easier to ask those who already know the xml files intimately.

Stuart
January 29th, 2006, 22:06
Digital Adventures are working on an official Arcana Evolved ruleset - Thore will make an announcement some time soon but I would expect something to hit the virtual shelves after 2-3 weeks, save yourself some pain !

Morfedel
January 30th, 2006, 00:13
NO! I like programming too! :P

I mean, if its done quickly, thats fine. But still, I want to learn how to do it with the easy stuff because, eventually, I have some really hard stuff I'm going to be working on.

:P

zambol
January 30th, 2006, 14:16
I tried your code and didn't get any errors.

Are you sure you have right reference in base.xml?
It should be:
<staticdata source="rulesets\YourRuleset\database\ClassInfo.txt" />

If it points to wrong file (or null file), error occurs.

Morfedel
January 30th, 2006, 23:36
txt or xml? Yours says txt, but its an xml file.

joshuha
January 31st, 2006, 00:54
So, I created a file called: ClassInfo.txt...

So does your example. Theoritcally it would work either way as long as both were declared in the right place and located where it thinks it is supposed to be.

Morfedel
January 31st, 2006, 12:23
Oops, you're right, I did call it .txt in the example. Well, its .xml here on the computer. Or I thought it was.

And that was my problem. I had thought I'd saved it as .xml, and instead saved it as .txt, while referring to it in base.xml as .xml. It couldn't thus find the right file, heh.

So... now the code isn't crashing. Next step is to try and get it to display....

Stuart
January 31st, 2006, 18:51
The answer to getting it to display is to check your link class and window class references and the file d20_Reference.xml.

Morfedel
January 31st, 2006, 22:38
Yeah, I figgered ;) Doing that tonight.

Morfedel
February 23rd, 2006, 02:15
BUMP!

Not because I need an answer, but I ended up moving, and didn't want this to get too buried. I'm actually looking at this tomorrow night.

I'll reply to this either way tomorrow night or the night after! ;)