PDA

View Full Version : Mission Completion

deer_buster
July 10th, 2017, 22:16
It would be awesome if someone would start running just missions in the modules so that session lengths can be a little more manageable. It is hard to get 4-5 hours away to run a complete module, and I think it is even harder to complete modules that have been started and not completed.

For instance, we had a long session in Defiance in Plan, but only completed missions 1-3. I could love to complete the module, but it would be much easier if sessions were shorter length.

Once I get more experience with FG, I will be running sessions like that for missions that I have completed, but not for ones that I have not.

Thoughts?

marcusrife
July 10th, 2017, 22:30
I am not sure exactly what you mean but it sounds like what you are suggesting is not allowed by AL rules and also wouldn't work practically. Defiance in Phlan and the other first modules of the seasons are written differently than the others. There are 5 "missions" that have their own beginning, middle, and end each. If you only play the first part of other modules you would only play the beginning of the story. It would be rather unsatisfying and confusing. In hardcovers you are expressly forbidden from running only portions of chapters. They do this to discourage item farming.

That being said, there are things you can do to try to cut down on the length of the module. The most obvious thing would be to cut out encounters. I have been thinking about doing this myself. Often there are encounters that don't really further the story much. I have found the encounters that don't further the story to be mostly boring. However, there are some that cannot be cut because otherwise the story wouldn't make any sense. I suggest you take a look at a module that is not the first of the season to see what I mean.

deer_buster
July 10th, 2017, 23:11
Not sure where it says in the AL rules that you cannot complete a module, since in particular, Defiance in Phlan is specifically setup to be run in 5 different sessions per the module overview

Unlike most other D&D Expeditions adventures, Defiance in Phlan is broken into five mini-adventures, each of which is designed for one hour of play.

It seems like it can and should be played in smaller chunks. So, I see nothing wrong, nor in the rules, that prevents me from being the GM for 1 or several of the missions multiple times for unique characters to go through...especially given that there are so many players looking for games....I could see running mission 1 multiple times, if enough interest is there, then running mission 2, etc.

The same should be possible for any other adventures that are broken out in such a way.

Unless, of course, you can point me to the rules that say that I cannot do that?????

marcusrife
July 10th, 2017, 23:20
You can break a module into multiple sessions but you can't run only part of a module intentionally. As I said Defiance in Phlan is written differently than all of the others. The only modules that are written that way are the first modules of each season and maybe one other I think. That means that only 6 total are written that way.

deer_buster
July 11th, 2017, 03:04
You can break a module into multiple sessions but you can't run only part of a module intentionally.

Sounds contradictory...

ravenloft713
July 11th, 2017, 03:13
I don't get what your asking. Are you looking for a DM to run Adventure League material in something less than 4-5 blocks?

cwarrencs
July 11th, 2017, 03:31
The more players there are the harder the battles are made which means the combat last longer. , So I suppose what it sounds like is that you want to find an AL DM, that will limit their group size to only 3 or 4 players for the session. That should quicken how fast you can make it through combat. Which would likely mean you would get through all 5 chapters in the 3 to 4 hour time slot allotment.

deer_buster
July 11th, 2017, 03:47
I don't get what your asking. Are you looking for a DM to run Adventure League material in something less than 4-5 blocks?

Looking for, as a player, looking to as a DM

marcusrife
July 11th, 2017, 05:25
Sounds contradictory...

Don't know if you are aware but you are coming off as contentious.

What that means is that when you start a module you must do so with the full intention of completing it. If you do not end up completing due to reasons outside of your control then fine. However, you will not get DM rewards, the players will not get downtime, renown, and only the experience and treasure for the encounters completed. The module minimum does not come into play. I didn't make up the rules. The main intent here as I understand it is to discourage people from item farming.

deer_buster
July 11th, 2017, 05:35
Not trying to be contentious (online chat is difficult to convey tone and meaning), merely trying to get clarification, as it wasn't/isn't clear to me what as to what is being objected to. I am not sure if it is because I am not explaining it correctly, or if I am not understanding how you are applying the rules to explain it back to me.

I am not sure how it is item farming by breaking a module into several sessions. It is my full intention to complete every module/mission, both as a player and DM, that I start, with the understanding that once an adventure is "paused", it must be completed with the same group of people that started it, excepting in the case of, say, Defiance in Phlan, which was designed such that each mission was a session unto itself, and each mission could be run with a different group (although only once per individual character), and in any order.

I "think" you are confusing the fact that I want to run Defiance sessions multiple times for different players/characters, with me wanting to run it multiple times with the same character?????

My intention is to (soon™) run (DM) Defiance in Phlan missions continuously until there aren't any players interested in running it.

Am I still missing the point?????

marcusrife
July 11th, 2017, 05:47
OK. That clears it up. Yes, Defiance in Phlan is much more conducive to what you are talking about. You may want to look into In Volo's Wake as well as it is another module that is structured like Defiance in Phlan and is storyline agnostic. Also, a character can get very close to level 4 by completing all of them and maxing out xp. Level 3 is very easily reached.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/203580/In-Volos-Wake-5e?term=in+volos&test_epoch=0

deer_buster
July 11th, 2017, 05:51
OK. That clears it up. Yes, Defiance in Phlan is much more conducive to what you are talking about. You may want to look into In Volo's Wake as well as it is another module that is structured like Defiance in Phlan and is storyline agnostic.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/203580/In-Volos-Wake-5e?term=in+volos&test_epoch=0

Very nice suggestion, yes, thank you. I would want to run it as a player first at least once before I run it as a DM though. I like the thrill of surprise and exploration.

deer_buster
July 11th, 2017, 05:52
Story line agnostic brings up another question. Do characters have to play in the same story line that they have played in, or can they cross story lines?

Teufelhunde87
July 11th, 2017, 13:22
Most modules are designed for 4 hours. Two things keep me from splitting up modules. It is VERY difficult to get everyone to show up for 2 sessions, making XP disbursement a nightmare and persons that don't complete are considered to have run that module and that character can no longer play that module.
Secondly, that is 7 people every 2 weeks that won't get the opportunity to play games. This is my biggest issue, there are a ton of people looking to play, and I want to help as many get that chance as possible.
I DM at great sacrifice to myself, I get at most 4 hours sleep on nights I DM, and prep can take up a lot of personal time. the 4-5 hours aren't ideal, but that is what it is, and I know what I am getting myself into (much to my wifes displeasure!). Maybe as more DM's participate, and groups routinely become 4-5 players, I can change my personal stance on that, but when 18 people sign up for 7 slots on a first time game, there is still definite need.
Hopefully you will still be able to play more of my modules, you are always welcome at my "table", Wednesday group did great despite me hammering them with good rolls1
Greg

TempoSpire
July 11th, 2017, 13:34
I think I might not fully understand how AL works... Lets use your game I played as an example Teufelhunde87. You ran DDEX 1-1 and we did the first three chapters. If I found someone running DDEX 1-1 over two days (first day were chapters 1-3 and second day chapters 4-5), I would not be able to play the second day, even though I haven't done 4-5? Would it be different if you were doing the two day thing? Could I run on your second day, since you were my first DM for the module?

ravenloft713
July 11th, 2017, 14:53
I find this AL very intriguing. How do I find out more information to DM/PC one in the future?

marcusrife
July 11th, 2017, 15:54
Story line agnostic brings up another question. Do characters have to play in the same story line that they have played in, or can they cross story lines?

There is no restriction on that. You are allowed to use your suspension of disbelief. I choose to not have characters cross storylines but that is my personal choice. Also, since I DM I am afforded many characters to choose from.

marcusrife
July 11th, 2017, 16:11
I think I might not fully understand how AL works... Lets use your game I played as an example Teufelhunde87. You ran DDEX 1-1 and we did the first three chapters. If I found someone running DDEX 1-1 over two days (first day were chapters 1-3 and second day chapters 4-5), I would not be able to play the second day, even though I haven't done 4-5? Would it be different if you were doing the two day thing? Could I run on your second day, since you were my first DM for the module?

DDEX 1-1 is special and written differently than most other modules. It is broken down into 5 chapters which are meant to be run over 1-2 hours each with rewards given out at the end of each. Most other modules are not written this way. They are a single chunk of content meant to be played through fully before you hand out rewards. There are 2 hour, 4 hour, and 8 hour modules. 4 hour modules being the most common. Also, I often go over 4 hours and run them at 5 hours. For some of them I could honestly go longer If I really delved into role playing more. But, as Greg explained there are practical issues with breaking modules up. I only did it for the first time this week because it was the first 8 hour module I encountered.

marcusrife
July 11th, 2017, 16:17
I find this AL very intriguing. How do I find out more information to DM/PC one in the future?

Greg and I can try to answer any specific question you have. I would begin reading the players and dm's guides and AL faq on the dm's guild:

Player's Guide: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Players-Pack?term=player&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0&test_epoch=0
DM's Guide: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208179/DD-Adventurers-League-DM-Pack?term=guide&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0&test_epoch=0

If you want to join a game you can check the game calendar to see when we are running games:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/gamecalendar/dashboard.php

And, if you want to start running I would download the first module of a season and put the game on the calendar and advertise it in this forum. For example:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/170384/DDEX101-Defiance-in-Phlan-5e?term=defiance&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0&test_epoch=0

tiawaz
July 11th, 2017, 16:41

in addition to the resources mentioned by @marcusrife there is also https://www.alonlinetools.net, the most used resource for online AL play

marcusrife
July 11th, 2017, 16:52
in addition to the resources mentioned by @marcusrife there is also https://www.alonlinetools.net, the most used resource for online AL play

I find AL Online Tools to not be that useful for me. For example when I apply the filter to show me games that are run in Fantasy Grounds that are not continuation of hardcovers I am left with one game. A hardcover run that is just starting of Rise of Tiamat. Which starts at level 8. There are a four others but they are behind a paywall.

tiawaz
July 11th, 2017, 17:23
I find AL Online Tools to not be that useful for me. For example when I apply the filter to show me games that are run in Fantasy Grounds that are not continuation of hardcovers I am left with one game. A hardcover run that is just starting of Rise of Tiamat. Which starts at level 8. There are a four others but they are behind a paywall.

I agree that it is a bit bare atm, but that is mostly due to the current seasons format, with the HC being 7 Dungeoncrawls and the only AL Adventures being Story Hooks and Epics. A Lot of the "regular" DM's are taking a breather and run the occasional Old Mod.

Things should pick up again once Season 7 returns to the normal Format

Teufelhunde87
July 11th, 2017, 20:59
That is a different module than most! The chapters in this module are designed to give the awards away AFTER every chapter. Most modules are designed to give the awards away AT THE END of the module. You therefore COULD play in chapters 4,5 in someone elses game, but not 1-3. That is why I designated the specific chapters in the log. That is my understanding!
Greg

Teufelhunde87
July 11th, 2017, 21:01

I really only use AL online tools for my character logs and DM logs. I found I had a lot more no shows when running through there game calendar.

Teufelhunde87
July 11th, 2017, 21:06
Greg and I can try to answer any specific question you have. I would begin reading the players and dm's guides and AL faq on the dm's guild:

Player's Guide: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Players-Pack?term=player&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0&test_epoch=0
DM's Guide: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208179/DD-Adventurers-League-DM-Pack?term=guide&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0&test_epoch=0

If you want to join a game you can check the game calendar to see when we are running games:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/gamecalendar/dashboard.php

And, if you want to start running I would download the first module of a season and put the game on the calendar and advertise it in this forum. For example:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/170384/DDEX101-Defiance-in-Phlan-5e?term=defiance&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0&test_epoch=0

Thanks Casey! I was late getting in here!