PDA

View Full Version : Alias for external ip address like Fantasy Grounds uses?

Gwydion
July 9th, 2017, 22:01
Question for the technical folks here. I'm running my games now and streaming sounds directly to an audio stream using VLC media player (thanks matsunoichi!). However, when I do this, I have to give out my external ip address and the port I'm forwarding to the players for the audio stream. Something like this: 62.162.63.1:2010

My question is, is there some way to say up an alias like fantasy grounds uses that would point to this public ip and specific port without me having to give this out for every game I host? For now, I'm only doing this setup when I'm playing in a game with people I trust. I've also made sure my router login and password is strong (not admin and password).....

I'm just not sure exactly how much risk I'm taking even though I love the audio setup now! Just looking for any advice on making sure I protect myself while giving the players the best audio experience I can.

Any advice is much appreciated!

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2017, 23:55
There are various Dynamic DNS services that you can use that will point a "web friendly" name to your IP. Something like "Entrails.<DNS Service>.com"

Depending on your modem/gateway/router, you may even be able to configure this for your FG IP or for even remote accessing your network if you want.

Gwydion
July 10th, 2017, 01:31
There are various Dynamic DNS services that you can use that will point a "web friendly" name to your IP. Something like "Entrails.<DNS Service>.com"

Depending on your modem/gateway/router, you may even be able to configure this for your FG IP or for even remote accessing your network if you want.

Thanks LordEntrails. I'll check out those service tonight. Appreciate it!

Gwydion
July 10th, 2017, 01:49

Thanks, LordEntrails! VERY easy. Got it set up and now will give that out to my players instead of my external ip address.

LordEntrails
July 10th, 2017, 03:49
Thanks, LordEntrails! VERY easy. Got it set up and now will give that out to my players instead of my external ip address.
Good to hear and glad I could help :)