PDA

View Full Version : What is the ideal size for maps in FG?

GainunX
July 5th, 2017, 20:34
I need to draw my own maps for my campaign. I have the Dungeon Painter Studio, but I noticed that maps made there are very large. My players and I use notebooks with small screens (14 '). What size maps do you recommend (even if it is to break the map into multiple images)?

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2017, 21:06
Make your maps jpg and keep the quality down to about medium (30-50%). As for resolution no bigger than 2048x2048 and keep the size down to less than 1Mb. Closer to 0.5Mb or less is good.

You can go over these limits but you might run into memory issues if you have too many such maps, and of course uploading them to he players will take longer depending on your connection speed etc.

Trenloe
July 5th, 2017, 21:16
A good place to start is to go with 50 pixels per 5' square, and keep within the 2048 x 2048 recommendation Zacchaeus mentions. If your map is larger than this, break it up into smaller maps. Landscape orientation is also better for display on computer screens.

Remember that each FG user (GM or player) can resize and zoom the map as they wish to make it look the best on their displays. This video shows you have to quickly resize a map: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6oOdW6SsMwsOG9TdHczb0pHZ2c/view Since this video was made there is a new right-click option (Small Size) that helps in making a large map small enough to quickly adjust one dimension and then size vertically/horizontally.