PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with map distance in FG?

sunbeam60
January 27th, 2006, 15:21
Hi guys,

So over the last couple of sessions my players and I have debated the pros and cons of different distance measurement methods.

Method 1:
Player can move 30' per round, which is 6 squares. If we wants to move from square A (some point on the map) to square B (some other point on the map), he draws a line pointer from the center of square A to the center of square B. If the line says less than 6, the move is valid. He provokes AoO in every square the arrow goes through.

Method 2:
Player needs to count squares moved, just as if he was moving a counter on a real table.

The advantages of method 1 is obviously that it's more "precise". Arguably the impractical "1.5 squares for diagonal moves" was introduced because in a true pen and paper session, no automatic distance measurement tools are available.

What do you guys do?

PS: Also see my thread on Feature suggestion: Distance measurement tool (https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23980#post23980) elsewhere on the board.

richvalle
January 27th, 2006, 15:41
We use the squares on the map to count movement.

The problem with method 1. is that rarely is a characters movement in a straight line. You would need to be able to add waypoints and have the distance calculated for the whole length.

rv

Bumamgar
January 27th, 2006, 16:24
We count squares.

Also, btw, at least in d20 rules, it's not really "diagonal equals 1.5 squares".

It's "every even diagonal movement counts as a 10' move, but every odd is only a 5' move". (ie: 1st diagonal is 5', 2nd is 10', 3rd is 5' etc)

Yes, I know this averages out to 1.5 squares per diagonal, but especially in cases where you aren't moving in a straight line, or you have odd movement related effects going on, it's easier to use the 5/10 rule.

Ged
January 27th, 2006, 20:55
The updates made to the d20 ruleset in the next patch (1.06) include correct counting of distance, i.e. straight movements count for 5', and diagonal movements alternate between 5 and 10 feet. This is a ruleset specific feature and can be disabled.

sunbeam60
January 27th, 2006, 21:28
The updates made to the d20 ruleset in the next patch (1.06) include correct counting of distance, i.e. straight movements count for 5', and diagonal movements alternate between 5 and 10 feet. This is a ruleset specific feature and can be disabled.

Awesome :)

So, Ged, what am I thinking of now?