PDA

View Full Version : How do I organize my campaign in different computers

fantasmamore
July 5th, 2017, 06:52
Hello all,

Let's say that I completed the adventure on PC1 and I want to use it on PC2 (the laptop that I take with me for gaming). Should I export the adventure as a module and I would have everything I need just by activating it? What about the PCs? Do I have to create a campaign with just the PCs and then activate the module? But how do I transfer the PCs then?

Thank you in advance

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2017, 09:01
Copy the campaign folder from PC1 to PC2. Everything should be in there that you need unless you exported the characters somewhere else they should be there too.

fantasmamore
July 5th, 2017, 10:36
And what about modules, tokens and portraits? Don't they all have to be copied from one pc to another?

I want to find the best solution for synchronizing as easy as possible in order to avoid forgetting things (ah! I can't use A because I didn't copy that folder!). Things that will happen at the gaming table, 5' before playing (Murphy's Law).

I already tried to transfer my files yesterday but I uploaded everything in Google Drive and at some point I received an error (some .xml wasn't uploaded). Fact is, the campaign didn't work (I could see the name of the campaign in the splash screen but no text or maps or anything else was inside FG). It most probably was a problem of Gdrive. I am going to retry tonight but I'll be using a usb drive for the transfer.

Thank you for your help!

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2017, 13:02
Yes, if you have modules, portraits and tokens which you created and are only on the one machine; you would need to copy those too. You can't copy protected material obviously only stuff you have created yourself.

LordEntrails
July 5th, 2017, 16:24
There is a backup batch file that one of the guys started a post somewhere that is designed to backup all your FG data. You can use that script to move data between computers. Basically you can use a script to copy your FG data to a shared location, then use another script to copy it down from there. You just have to make sure you always do the backup and restore so you don't overwrite your latest stuff.

You can use Google Drive or another cloud as the transfer point, but don't use it for "live" FG data. You will eventually end up with corrupt data.

Trenloe
July 5th, 2017, 16:28
Just to reiterate what LordEntrails said - do not use any sync applications (Google Drive, One Drive, DropBox, Box, etc.) for your live FG data. You can copy data there manually, then back off on your target PC once it's synced - but don't point either PC's Google drive (or similar) at your live FG data (the directory you get to when you click the folder icon on the main FG launch screen).