PDA

View Full Version : LFP - 4-5 players | weekends approx 7 PM EST USA | D&D 5e homebrew | NEWBIE GM

the best caribou
July 4th, 2017, 21:34
FG License: Full (NOT ultimate)
Game System: D&D 5e

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Day of week and time: Any weekend, most likely around 7 PM.
If new game, planned start date: 7-14
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3 to 4 hours, weekly or bi-weekly (I'm a new GM, it might take me a while to set up new adventures!)
Term: Long term

Text or Voice: Voice required
Voice software used: Discord

Roleplay & Combat mix: 60/40
Number of Players in game & needed: 0 out of 4/5
Character starting level & equipment: Lvl 1, standard equipment based on race/class.
Character restrictions: Currently only the base races are allowed.

Details of your scenario: Bear with me here - this is my first time GM'ing anything. It'll be a homebrew campaign, and there is no set end, per se. As we play, your actions will build the world around you. I don't have a straightforward "you go here, here, and there" approach. More like, if you seriously choose to not do a quest, that's fine - but, I might not always have random "backup" adventures. I'm all about roleplay, and for me, my campaign isn't about the adventurers "winning". There is no winning! It's all about having fun and going off on adventures. I like stories - so, I want my campaign to be a story that you help write. With that being said, I do have other requirements and/or rules!

If you can't make it to a game one night, that's okay. Just let me know - your character's excuse will just be that they stayed behind. I do ask that you be over 18, and when we play, you need to be in a reasonably quiet room without any background noise. We don't want to hear your parents watching TV (if you still live with them, that is :P)! We also don't want to hear ourselves echo, so make sure you have a headset. I'd prefer that you don't min/max your character(s) - instead, use the 4d6 dice rolls to determine your attributes.

Since I'm very roleplay-oriented, your character needs to have an interesting background, and a dynamic personality! I'd prefer that you avoid mary/gary-sues - no one is perfect. I once had a rogue who was very athletic and stealthy, but if she got caught, it was all over. She couldn't talk her way out of anything! Or lie, for that matter. Terrible charisma! :P

So, really, I just want us to all have fun. Since I am a new GM, I'd prefer experienced players, because I don't know all of the rules, but I won't turn you away if you're a newcomer. That being said, I don't want rules thrown in my face for my ignorance - just kindly let me know if I messed up.

I can't think of much else, so I'll wrap it up! Please post here or message me on discord (Best Caribou#2866)

Link to Gamecalendar page: None

Blood n Whiskey
July 5th, 2017, 00:01
Hi! I'd like to play in your game. I'm very experienced with playing and DMing D&D, starting back with the original basic game, then playing 2nd Edition AD&D for a long time before taking a break from being a nerd for a couple decades. I picked up 5E a little less than a year ago to see what all the fuss was about, and have since been playing in and running a couple in-person campaigns. I've only played a few sessions on FG, so I'm still learning the interface and all the tricks.

If I sound like someone you'd like to have at your virtual tabletop, let me know, and I'll get to work on a character. I'm thinking I'd like to play a warlock, as I haven't had a chance to, yet.

MysticCelt
July 5th, 2017, 00:13
Your campaign sounds like loads of fun. I would love to play in a more RP focused game that's more based out of a single area where the characters maybe have roots instead of just the wandering around the countryside sort of fare. I know you said weekends. Fridays and Sundays work for me. I'd prefer to start around 8pm but I can make 7pm work. Player profile below. Ignore the ideal start times as I can make a slight exception in order to play in an interesting game.

FG License: Ultimate
Time Zone: EST
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Weekly, Sunday-Monday, Wed-Fri. 8pm-11pm EST Start Time.
Term: Long Term
Voice: I can use any voice chat. Prefer discord.

Game System Preferred: PFRPG, 5e
Game System Experience: Pathfinder, 3.5, 4th edition, Fate, 7th Sea, (Very limited 5e experience)
Fantasy Grounds Experience: I can build a character, have a strong understanding of the workings of the combat system from the player side. I can import modules and resources and build basic effects like power attack or smite. I could probably help newer players out with stuff.

Character Type Preferred: I've played most of the basic classes in 3.5/pathfinder so I tend to prefer things I haven't played before. Other than that preference I'm flexible and can work with the rest of the players to construct a reasonable party.

About me: I enjoy all aspects of the pen and paper RPG. I love roleplaying and tend to get into my characters. I like challenging campaigns and don't mind if my character dies, however I also think GMs should do their best to avoid TPK situations coming up too often. I'm hoping to find a consistent group that won't fall apart because the last few tries at this my campaigns haven't made it past level 4 and I think it would be really fun to play at levels higher than 4. My longest running campaign we reached level 14 or so and that was great but it was years ago. I'm really flexible, I'm easy-going and get along well with others. I just want to play some Pathfinder or D&D (I am open to other systems though).

Masood Voon
July 5th, 2017, 01:04
My name is Josh, I'm in a similar situation to Blood n' Whiskey above where I played 2E a while ago and have been waiting to get back in (but for me the time getting back is now). I have the PH, DMG through FG and am ready to jump in with a human cleric, fighter, or ranger preferably but can play anything. I have headset and all the requirements and am EST. I have discord but don't check it often so will check here primarily until you decide on a game.

Reading your vision for the campaign above I would think the best formula would be to work through preplanned content and then give campaign/personal goals (of the PC's) to you in order to work it into future side-quests/content because it would be impossible to plan these things spur of the moment (and if you choose to work in the opportunity to go toward that content that is up to you of course). If accepted I'll work with you on character creation (currently have FG standard licence). 7 PM is a good time since I typically am back from work and recharged by 6. Hope everything works out if I don't hear back.

Chrisasaurus
July 5th, 2017, 01:10
Hello. I too am interested in your game. I don't have that much experience with 5e but I do have the player handbook pdf so I think I can get up to speed rather quickly. In full disclosure I don't have any experience with FG other then watching the tutorial. Here is the plus side. I'm avery party centered player, looking always to tell the best story even if that means my own character isn't in the spotlight. I can balance crunch right along with flavor with a heavy preference towards the latter. My LFG profile is pasted below. Thanks and good luck with your game.

FG License: Free at the moment, more then willing to get a monthly subscription
Time Zone: EST (Eastern United States)
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Looking for a game for either Wednesday or Thursday night. Possible Sunday as well.
Term: Long term preferably, short term is more than fine as well.
Voice: Yes, just let me know what app/s I need.

Game System Preferred: Pathfinder preferably though I wouldn't mind getting to know 5e.
Game System Experience: Pathfinder (+5 years experience) Roll 20, 3.5
Fantasy Grounds Experience: Totally new to Fantasy Grounds. I have been looking for an online table and this seems to deliver what I am looking for.
Character Type Preferred: I have played nearly every class. Very flexible in this regard.
About me: As I grow older and more experience in both life and the hobby, I find myself still loving that thrill of letting a character become more than just numbers on stat block. I love inter-party roleplaying, I love the sense of adventure that comes with a group of people working together to accomplish a nearly impossible goal. I want to roleplay in a dynamic group that lets both the world evolve around the characters and the characters having to define themselves by the effects of that same world. More than anything I am looking forward to having fun.

Style of play: Without saying I love every kind, let me instead say this. I like for the group to have to overcome varied types of encounters. Combat is of course the main form of this, but I like social challenges just as much as riddles and traps. Some of the best roleplaying happens when a simple river crossing hits a somewhat unprepared group. I am not afraid of mature themes either.

Cheers!

the best caribou
July 5th, 2017, 01:57
Hi, everyone! Thank you very much for your interest in my campaign! <3 Like some of you, I'm still new to the FG interface as well - we may have a few bumps in our road, but that's alright with me! I would like to reiterate something from earlier - just going to bold it so it isn't missed, I feel like I may have worded this wrong: I mentioned that players will help to build the world - their actions will have effects on the world around them! While I will make a "main quest" sort of deal, it doesn't necessarily mean the game is over once you finish it - I can always add on to the world map! I'm not 100% sure how it works once you reach level 20, but I do know that, if you all want to keep playing after the fact, then I will happily keep the adventures going <3

Now that I re-explained my ideas, I can continue! :D I'm going to assume you're all 18+, and you all seem to fit my preferred time/day frames.

MysticCelt - I can do 8 PM EST if that works for everyone else!

Blood n' Whiskey - I feel like you'd be very helpful when it comes to rule clarifications and the like. I think it'd help me a lot to have an experienced GM at my table :D Welcome aboard.

Masood Voon - Welcome!

Chrisasaurus - Are you able to play on fridays or saturdays?

GrimmStories
July 5th, 2017, 02:30
I'm interested but what are the restrictions of Classes/Subclasses. I assume base Races means only PHB?

Blood n Whiskey
July 5th, 2017, 02:34
Blood n' Whiskey - I feel like you'd be very helpful when it comes to rule clarifications and the like. I think it'd help me a lot to have an experienced GM at my table :D Welcome aboard.

Thanks! BTW, the rules, and rules clarification are the easy part of GM'ing. I'm sure you'll do great. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want out of the campaign. I'll get to work on that warlock, and I'll PM you if I have any questions. :)

Also, MysticCelt's suggestion of 8pm EST works better for me than 7:00, as it will give me a bit of time to settle in after work, but 7:00 will work if that's what we end up sticking with.

the best caribou
July 5th, 2017, 02:48
I'm interested but what are the restrictions of Classes/Subclasses. I assume base Races means only PHB?

Yes, only what's in the PHB. So no Dragonborn and the like! However, there are a couple of other people wanting the last spot. I'll let you know if those before you don't work out. Happy game hunting!

Thanks! BTW, the rules, and rules clarification are the easy part of GM'ing. I'm sure you'll do great. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want out of the campaign. I'll get to work on that warlock, and I'll PM you if I have any questions. :)

Also, MysticCelt's suggestion of 8pm EST works better for me than 7:00, as it will give me a bit of time to settle in after work, but 7:00 will work if that's what we end up sticking with.

Thanks, sounds good!

Chrisasaurus
July 5th, 2017, 03:07
I would be looking at 8pm EST Saturday or even Sunday night preferably. I totally understand if that might not work.

MysticCelt
July 5th, 2017, 04:35
Sounds good to me. I'm actually fairly proficient with FG from the player side so I can help out newer players find things and set things up. I'm not super familiar with 5th edition but it won't take me long to familiarize myself. I recommend once we have a solid group we all get together and talk about the campaign, ask questions, and start working on setting things up. I like your ambition and your hopes for reaching level 20 eventually but that's a long way off. The most important thing is to build consistency. Most of the groups that fall apart do so because one week somebody has to miss, then the next another person, then maybe you get another session in and then miss three weeks because things come up and the GM who spends a lot of time and energy crafting the campaign gets discouraged. The key is for everybody to make the sessions a priority, and maybe have a big enough party (five or six) that when somebody misses the session doesn't need to be canceled. I hope to create an interesting character for this campaign with an interesting backstory that will be lots of fun to roleplay. I'd prefer to start working on character creation as soon as possible. For dice rolling do you mean 4d6-lowest or just 4d6 straight up? I'm not sure what's standard in 5e.

GrimmStories
July 5th, 2017, 05:41
Wait Dragonborn are in the PHB...

M0rganstern
July 5th, 2017, 05:41
Where on the Serious-o-meter would you rate your campaign:

|---Game of Thrones
|
|---Lord of the Rings
|
|---Stardust
|
|---Willow
|
|---Monty Python and the Holy Grail

the best caribou
July 6th, 2017, 00:00
Yes I noticed they were after I posted that my bad.

M0rganstern, I'm not sure what you mean by serious. In any case, my party is full now.

Blood n Whiskey
July 6th, 2017, 02:49
...I recommend once we have a solid group we all get together and talk about the campaign, ask questions, and start working on setting things up....

I second this. It seems like you've settled on a group, so a "session 0" style meetup on Discord or something in the near future would probably be a good idea. I'm available any weekday after 4pm (7pm Eastern), and any time this Sunday.

the best caribou
July 6th, 2017, 18:56
So after one person fell through, I have one more opening! I'll be contacting those that have shown interest.

MysticCelt
July 6th, 2017, 20:35
I'm really excited about where this campaign is going right now. It seems like it's going to be lots of fun and pretty unique.

ytuarte
July 7th, 2017, 02:22
Hey man, if you're still looking for players to join I'd love to. I'm available almost any time and have been playing 5e for a year. I love to roleplay and fleshing out my characters. If there is still an opening, I'd love to join. I also have discord to if you'd like to chat over that. My time zone is US Central.

Masood Voon
July 29th, 2017, 01:13
Best Caribou would you resend the discord invite. The weirdest thing happened. I restarted my computer and my connection to the discord server wasn't there (my other 3 were still there). The first invite has expired from several weeks ago.

Light
July 29th, 2017, 02:38
It looks like your group might have filled up but if you want another player in the future hit me up sounds really interesting:)

Masood Voon
July 29th, 2017, 11:27
Thanks light I was hoping my GM would get an email notification from this. Will have the GM contact you for availability if she needs someone.

GrimmStories
July 29th, 2017, 15:53
Best Caribou felt overwhelmed and is no longer continue this campaign.

Masood Voon
July 30th, 2017, 02:02
That's too bad. I mentioned she could go every other week if it was too much and she said time wasn't an issue. Oh well. Was fun for a few weeks.

GrimmStories
July 31st, 2017, 03:27
It was the world building that was a problem.

Flintlok
August 6th, 2017, 23:12
Deleted

McFachfasJr
August 7th, 2017, 07:15
Is there any room left in this game?

GunnarGreybeard
August 7th, 2017, 07:38
I think this campaign was discontinued.