PDA

View Full Version : Looks like lot's of New Blood

GunnarGreybeard
July 3rd, 2017, 13:02
Wow, having been away for the last 6 months taking care of some personal stuff I come back and noticed there are a lot of new players around or is it just me??

I guess I need to start brushing up on my FG knowledge so I can get back into the swing of things.

Gruber
July 3rd, 2017, 18:10
Some old ones, too :pirate:

GunnarGreybeard
July 3rd, 2017, 19:51
Some old ones, too :pirate:
Yeah, seen a lot of you guys too. :rv: Sorry RL got in the way of our game, I think we were on a pretty good roll till then.

Gruber
July 4th, 2017, 15:14
Yeah, well hopefully we'll meet again.

Marmus
July 4th, 2017, 15:55
Newb here. Thanks for noticing. I hope it is a good thing. LFP board filled up quickly this last week, must be the Steams Sale. I just happened across FG while perusing the official D&D site, lucky for me it was during a sale.

Gruber
July 4th, 2017, 16:22
A lot o f ppl but i can't happen to find a game to play. So few are actually text-based and the game calendar is awfully plain and sparsely updated..

tiawaz
July 4th, 2017, 18:01
With all the high profile D&D streams (Critical Role, Acq Inc., GGG, Missclicks, Maze Arcana, HighRollers, Dragonfriends) as a reference and High Profile Events like the Stream of Annihilation i found that over the last year or so it first became easier to interest (younger) gamers into trying out some old school tabletop, and now we are close to getting 'mainstream' attention.

Myrdin Potter
July 4th, 2017, 19:00
Text-based is a small subset of the games out there today. I cannot type fast enough to DM a game without using voice.

Gruber
July 5th, 2017, 06:15
Yeah, but there's ppl that prefer to play text, for any reason. I prefer to write because i can better express myself, and had bad experience with voice. This forum i like cause it's more like a community, but it lacks features that help the games rolling (which is discussed in another thread).

GunnarGreybeard
July 5th, 2017, 07:05
Playing text based games does require more up front work on the GM's part but I find it allows for more immersive role-playing.

Gruber
July 5th, 2017, 21:00
Playing text based games does require more up front work on the GM's part but I find it allows for more immersive role-playing.

It does, but as you've said, its probably a bit more rewarding. I gues it actually depends on personal preference. I'm not a native english speaker myself so the game I'm preparing to run will be text-based, with much of the descriptions written upfront.

Nyghtmare
July 6th, 2017, 04:06
Text-based has been my preferred method of running games online, first in Roll20 and now in FG.

I'm not sure why text-based would require more prep work, tho....

SirGraystone
July 6th, 2017, 04:15
I'm not sure why text-based would require more prep work, tho....

If you run home brew stuff it go faster if your write most the description in the prep work, if you run a premade campaign it's less of an issue because they are already written in the adventure. Or you can learn to type faster :-D

Gruber
July 6th, 2017, 07:30
If you run home brew stuff it go faster if your write most the description in the prep work, if you run a premade campaign it's less of an issue because they are already written in the adventure. Or you can learn to type faster :-D

That's right, descriptions writing. I tend to describe the area and circumstances thoroughly, as well add a lot of lore to spice up the game. It takes an awful lot of time to do it while the game is in progress, so better to write in advance, for there's so much other stuff to do while dm'n. This way i just present the text and while they're busy reading it i'm free to prepare a TPK. :o